IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Well, I got my 2nd KOF '98 today and...sound's missing...

Even more obviously missing than last time around.

In the very familiar spoken-word intro, the only words mine speaks are "Two, Three!" with no prior static sound, and then there's just background tune afterwards. (there do appear to be faint clicks as if it's trying to kick a longish sound sample off) At first I thought maybe this whole thing was because the dreamcast version was what I used to play and maybe it had overhauled sounds--It did, but not *THAT* overhauled. (see vid below of proper kof98)

So the broken sounds seem different on this kof98 compared to my old one. I surely would have noticed the lyrics from the attract mode missing *INSTANTLY*. I haven't played this one much, but I noticed a new (slight) graphical glitching on the first intro ("??? ??? ???") screen which my other one doesn't have, but the obviously missing intro voices of the other one (at least initially) seem to be there. I is confuse.

Unibios says the CRC checks out. I'll have to crack it open later, but I expect it's legit. I'll also have to try it in my cabinet. As is, I'm suspecting a system incompatibility issue with my Omega. My MVS cab flatly refuses to play Rage of Dragons, which is a somewhat known thing that can happen, so it might be like that but less severe.

Memorable intro lyrics in the vid below:

edit: heh, page 98 of the thread, how fitting.

KOF '98 is my favorite out of the series Reaper. I was also the first in the series to purchase for my Neo-Geo AES collection. I played 98 the most out of all the King of Fighters that were created. Still my all time favorite from the franchise!

Anthony...

• Like 1

KOF '98 is my favorite out of the series Reaper. I was also the first in the series to purchase for my Neo-Geo AES collection. I played 98 the most out of all the King of Fighters that were created. Still my all time favorite from the franchise!

Anthony...

Mine too--though, under the circumstances, I've been forced to elevate KoF '99 into my 'most played' slot over the last decade or so. I played the heck out of '98 on Dreamcast and NGCD, but I sadly not much at all in the days since I got my MVS.

The whole situation kind of reminds me of the time that I bought 3 copies of chaotix for 32x because none of them worked, and I thought I was getting bad carts. As it turned out, it was an incompatibility with the specific revision of genesis that my 32x was plugged into causing the problem.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Mine too--though, under the circumstances, I've been forced to elevate KoF '99 into the 'most played' slot over the last decade or so. I played the heck out of '98 on Dreamcast and NGCD, but I sadly not much at all in the days since I got my MVS.

The whole situation kind of reminds me of the time that I bought 3 copies of chaotix for 32x because none of them worked, and I thought I was getting bad carts. As it turned out, it was an incompatibility with the specific revision of genesis that my 32x was plugged into causing the problem.

KOF '99 did have its charm by having some nice looking stages (the garden & airport locations) and the music was pretty good for it as well. The art styles for the characters were nice and when I purchased the JP AES version, it came with a phone card. Fun game, but 98 was still better (IMO).

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Back again with GRUSS Newton. Mr.Newton recently did a stream regarding Neo-Geo titles for over an hour. In his stream, he played Neo Drift Out, Metal Slug 1, Blazing Star, and more. Hope you enjoy his game play stream and will be glad to se more from Mr.Newton in the future! :)

Anthony....

• Like 1

Again, I don't understand what value he thinks that video brings. He's just credit feeding without adding ANY value whatsoever. I'm not trying to be a naysayer, I honestly, truly do not understand what value that video is supposed to bring that all the other Neo Geo gameplay videos don't have. In terms of Metal Slug, he's not very skilled at the game, even by his own admission. He doesn't discuss the scoring mechanics or tricks to maximize your score and he doesn't know where the hidden items are. So...what's the point? What is a viewer supposed to get out of that? Please tell me what I'm missing here because I don't understand these videos at all.

Again, I don't understand what value he thinks that video brings. He's just credit feeding without adding ANY value whatsoever. I'm not trying to be a naysayer, I honestly, truly do not understand what value that video is supposed to bring that all the other Neo Geo gameplay videos don't have. In terms of Metal Slug, he's not very skilled at the game, even by his own admission. He doesn't discuss the scoring mechanics or tricks to maximize your score and he doesn't know where the hidden items are. So...what's the point? What is a viewer supposed to get out of that? Please tell me what I'm missing here because I don't understand these videos at all.

This's another gamer that plays the Neo-Geo. . In this video, (like many others) its for the entertainment of the game rather than perfect play throughs. Were mistakes made? Yes. Were they flawless? No.. But its the dedication and time that they offer for the enjoyment for others to watch! Unfortunately, I'm not the best Metal Slug gamer. In fact, I do the same by putting more credits than usual to continue. But I like the series and continue playing them because for the entertainment value the series bring! Just like the many other gamers that enjoy them and share them for the community. That's some of the reasons why we befriend others here and continue the love for gaming on the thread.

What's the point some ask? Its to show others that they have in interest for what they enjoy and for others to view them that share a passion for what they like. As humans, were not perfect. Yet, we try our hardest to be!

That's why many on this thread became friends and participate on each others Facebook, Twitter, Hitbox, Twitch, and YouTube accounts. Not only that, they continue to love the Neo-Geo and try to perfect their skills in the games they play for others to partake in. Notice the weekly Neo-Geo challenge here.

If players can do better and provide others to show their skills to the public, that great. It will promote others to continue for what they have a devotion to, and help continue their gaming for improvement!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

You didn't answer my question. What's the VALUE in posting that video? What value did you see in it that made you want to share it? What was the viewer supposed to gain from watching that video? A guy likes playing Neo Geo, that's great. But if the video offers nothing, why post it? Other than to get "likes" and views.

You didn't answer my question. What's the VALUE in posting that video? What value did you see in it that made you want to share it? What was the viewer supposed to gain from watching that video? A guy likes playing Neo Geo, that's great. But if the video offers nothing, why post it? Other than to get "likes" and views.

Yes sir I did. You asked what the point of this video. Its to show others that they have in interest for what they enjoy and for others to view them that share a passion for what they like. That's how many others on this thread started like this gentleman did!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

So, using the superpowers of google, it seems as though the korean KOF98 is lacking japanese speech, and that's a common thing for them to do in that market. I suppose that explains my first KOF98, but the second one with the missing english intro but lots of japanese voice samples is probably just having trouble. I'll have to have a look at the solder on it tomorrow--with some luck, it will be like my revived panic bomber, and have a few obviously bad joints in it. Since there is clicking where voice samples should be, I'm a little hopeful.

if not...well, I'll be shopping for a third KOF98 at some point another half-decade in the future, I suppose.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Yes sir I did. You asked what the point of this video. Its to show others that they have in interest for what they enjoy and for others to view them that share a passion for what they like. That's how many others on this thread started like this gentleman did!

Anthony...

Wrong again. I asked what the VALUE is in posting that video. I get the point. The point was for a clueless gamer to jump on a social media bandwagon and get "likes" and views by posting videos from an emulator.

• Like 1

Wrong again. I asked what the VALUE is in posting that video. I get the point. The point was for a clueless gamer to jump on a social media bandwagon and get "likes" and views by posting videos from an emulator.

The value is for him to show others to enjoy the video and to share it emulator or not!.Sorry if it wasn't to your liking.

But, If you can do one yourself, we welcome you to post and share your videos for us to enjoy. I'm sure you have the knowledge and back ground to contribute to. Were going to do a Samurai Shodown challenge. Your welcome to post your high score with us!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

So, using the superpowers of google, it seems as though the korean KOF98 is lacking japanese speech, and that's a common thing for them to do in that market. I suppose that explains my first KOF98, but the second one with the missing english intro but lots of japanese voice samples is probably just having trouble. I'll have to have a look at the solder on it tomorrow--with some luck, it will be like my revived panic bomber, and have a few obviously bad joints in it. Since there is clicking where voice samples should be, I'm a little hopeful.

if not...well, I'll be shopping for a third KOF98 at some point another half-decade in the future, I suppose.

Good info Reaper. Thank you for posting this!

Anthony...

The value is for him to show others to enjoy the video and to share it emulator or not!.Sorry if it wasn't to your liking.

But, If you can do one yourself, we welcome you to post and share your videos for us to enjoy. I'm sure you have the knowledge and back ground to contribute to. Were going to do a Samurai Shodown challenge. Your welcome to post your high score with us!

Anthony...

Let me ask this for a third time, hopefully you'll understand it but history tells me otherwise. What's the value in YOU posting that video? What did YOU think anyone would learn from it? What was I supposed to gain from watching that video? Don't respond with "this gentleman found value in posting this video." That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking you, the person who shared the video, what you thought, us, the viewers, were supposed to gain from it. Him showing others the video is has nothing to do with what I'm asking so please don't reply with that again.

Let me ask this for a third time, hopefully you'll understand it this time. What's the value in YOU posting that video? What did YOU think anyone would learn from it? What was I supposed to gain from watching that video? Don't respond with "this gentleman found value in posting this video." That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking you, the person who shared the video, what you thought, us, the viewers, were supposed to gain from it. Him showing others the video is has nothing to do with what I'm asking so please don't reply with that again.

I wanted to share this video for others to enjoy.

If your not happy on what you're seeing here, you don't have to post You're more than welcome to go somewhere else!

Anthony...

I wanted to share this video for others to enjoy.

If your not happy on what you're seeing here, you don't have to post You're more than welcome to go somewhere else!

Anthony...

OK, I've asked 3 times and you still avoid my questions. Best of luck on your continued quest to share YouTube links.

Hi guys,

Back again with fellow Atariage member NeoTurboManic. Today Neo has a compilation of short videos regarding the Elgato captue device to see the quality difference for future videos to help improve future reviews and play throughs.

From the description,

"I recorded about one minute of gameplay using the Elgato video capture device to see how the quality looks on YouTube, so I will be taking this down shortly, since this is just a test run, but let me know what you think. I recently bought this device and the video quality is better than my previous device."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIzx1XuL7cY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjqTx1F5XLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iFMpWAt2Z4

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hey guys,

It's Saturday so time for the Neo Geo Challenge Week 4, Samurai Showdown is the game of the week! I played horrible again with a score of only 51,000. Surely It can be easily defeated! Such an awesome series guys, this changed the arcade fighting scene forever back in the early nineties! The gauntlet has been thrown down now beat the score so I can watch some awesome videos! Happy Gaming guys! Here is the link for your convenience.

-Aaron Classic Gamer

• Like 1

I've been doing some window shopping on ebay for games I can't really afford, and was reminded just how much I like Matrimelee.

My favorite part is how they made the soundtrack so good that the background had to get involved too.

So below is Overclock, with the dancing girls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0vWSky33DE

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

I've been doing some window shopping on ebay for games I can't really afford, and was reminded just how much I like Matrimelee.

My favorite part is how they made the soundtrack so good that the background had to get involved too.

So below is Overclock, with the dancing girls:

Nice choice Reaper. This one is also on my want list to purchase. Too bad I can't find one on at a price that I'm hoping for. But all good this happen for those who wait. I'll stick it out and one day, that good bargain will come around for it!

Anthony...

Hows it going guys?

Htaed7 here, bringing my entry for the weekly challenge: Samsho!

Yes, the game/series that saved me from "fighting game fatigue" LOL, yup this here, is a thing

of beauty. ported to every console known by men (but NEVER as good as the original)

Samurai Showdown

Now my score may seem pathetic the keen eye, but rest assured i give not one ...erm care, for

the fun to be had nullifies any need for high scores, (at least in MY mind) hahaha.

Always fresh, from one iteration to the next, with not ONLY updated graphics and sound but

GAMEPLAY mechanics to keep you glued to your seats, if i had the money, i would probably have a special edition bronze/silver plated Neo Geo

with the samurai series alone (that's how much this series mean to me!)

Aside from the gushing, i leave the video here for your viewing and hope that it sparks

some enthusiasm from the rest of guys to go at it too.

**sidenote**: i will soon do the Samurai Shodown: Retrospective

where i plan to showcase every title in the series including the Taito X2 version, so stay tuned

have a great night guys! :)

Edited by Htaed7
  • Like 2

Hows it going guys?

Htaed7 here, bringing my entry for the weekly challenge: Samsho!

Yes, the game/series that saved me from "fighting game fatigue" LOL, yup this here, is a thing

of beauty. ported to every console known by men (but NEVER as good as the original)

Samurai Showdown

Now my score may seem pathetic the keen eye, but rest assured i give not one ...erm care, for

the fun to be had nullifies any need for high scores, (at least in MY mind) hahaha.

Always fresh, from one iteration to the next, with not ONLY updated graphics and sound but

GAMEPLAY mechanics to keep you glued to your seats, if i had the money, i would probably have a special edition bronze/silver plated Neo Geo

with the samurai series alone (that's how much this series mean to me!)

Aside from the gushing, i leave the video here for your viewing and hope that it sparks

some enthusiasm from the rest of guys to go at it too.

**sidenote**: i will soon do the Samurai Shodown: Retrospective

where i plan to showcase every title in the series including the Taito X2 version, so stay tuned

have a great night guys! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Aok_nEzts

Kicked my butt buddy, Great Job this is what the challenge is all about! Tons of fun!

• Like 1