IGNORED

2048 2600

chesterbr

For those of us who wanted do see what happens when you win the game (make 2048 tile), check that out... You're in for a treat!

A cool way is to use Javatari Savestate Cartridge ability.

Just drag the Savestate file attached (2048-ending.jat) on top of the Emulator, or just load it as a normal Cartridge.

Be sure to use the latest version of Javatari (4.1), or just use it online at javatari.org.

Or even easier, just launch the attached Javatari JAR that has the same Savestate file built-in for auto-load!

I have zipped both files to be able to attach them, since the forum does not allow me to attach .jat or .jar files.... :-(

Enjoy!

Paulo

2048-ending.zip

Fun game!

I think the numbers can be 3 or 4 scanlines taller, they're too small and there's plenty of screen space for drawing them.

I considered it, but I wanted to keep tiles and digits on the same 256-byte page, to avoid dealing page crossing penalties during the crucial scanline.

Right now I have 18 tiles (14 for the game + 4 only used on title screen) x 11 = 198 bytes for tiles, plus 5*10 = 50 bytes for score = 248 bytes.

Sure, I could split tiles and digits into separate pages (with a small RAM penalty for using separate pointer tables, or a CPU penalty whenever switching between a score and the tiles), but I'd still need to come with the better graphics. Also, 8x11 keeps them square (in Atari pixel proportions), so I'd have to deal with that also.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,

Chester

I was hoping someone would do this. I was hesitant to bring it up, given that colors might have been better, but now I see it's just fine.

Anyone getting vibes of the Activision prototype color game? Imagine if this was released in '83!

Heh, I didn't know it, but had a blast googling and finding this: http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/unknown1/unknown1.htm

It seems to be a cool concept. And focusing on colors makes life easier (even with the reasonable number of color changes sync-ed with the beam)... makes me think of other possible games in that style!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey Chester, I discovered your version of 2048 just as I was starting to make my own version. After several weeks, I've gotten my version pretty well ready for outside testing, so I've gone public here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/237836-my-first-homebrew-2048-4vcs/.

Thanks for your impressive version of 2048. It inspired me to see how I could do it a bit differently. I also liked your programming overview presentation slides. Best of luck in future projects!

--

Mike

Edited by MLockmoore