IGNORED

Philia - Sequel to Elansar - JagCD

Orion_

Philia for Jaguar CD  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Philia on Jaguar CD

• Yes, if it cost equal or less than 35$ (25?)
    • Yes, if it is 35$ to 40$ (25-30?)
    • Yes, no matter what !
    • No, I don't have a JagCD
    • No, and I have a JagCD (I hate myst, make an action game instead!)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

RPG would take way too much time to create, especially if you are a single person, despite that, I have a RPG project, but I'm not even sure when I will finish it...

rts or beat them up demand pixel graphic skill that I don't have, and 3D engine is too hard for me (Osmozys 3D is my best attemps at 3D)

but who knows, if people are really demanding games on jagcd, I can port my future projects, and it won't always be myst-like adventure games

Edited by Orion_
  • Like 2

I just received the Jaguar CD unit !
I had to pay 60$ of taxes, but well, I think it's fair since it's a gift :)
The blue lighting game shipped with the unit is working well, and I also tested my old Orion_'s Jaguar Collection CD and it's working like a charm !
I'm so happy ! Now, serious coding work is coming :)

Bkr4NenIgAA9DVK.jpg

Edited by Orion_
  • Like 4

some news about my progress on JagCD programming.

I'm now able to read multiples files from CD, I've made a little "file system" which works fine (read about 44 files with checksum and every file was read correctly)

I'm also able to encrypt a CD (I had to modify my old tool because retrieving data from the jag was not working anymore)

but now I'm stuck with cinepak, It's not working, the best I get is a single flashing pixel in the middle of the screen.

It seems like everyone making cinepak cd are using an already compiled player that read cinepak file from CD, but no one actually compiled or integrated a cinepak player in a game, which is a lot more difficult.

the cinepak source sample is just NOT working (even using blue lighting cd cinepak), and I tried to look into the "gamefilm" sources but it's a mess to dig in.

Unless someone (TXG?) can help me on this topic, I might end up doing my own video player, but it will not look nice, it will be RAW 160x120 256colors video (zoomed x2)

also, I thought about a problem with Audio track, I won't be able to use this for the audio ambiance, because, each time you will click to go somewhere in the game, I will need to load data from the CD, thus interrupting the audio playback...

Myst is playing audio while loading data because it seems to load small audio loops with low playing frequency in RAM

• Like 1

It's great to hear that you made some progress already!

There must be someone in the community who can help you out with the cinepak problem, and maybe even the audio ambiance.

I think that for games like this, the audio is very important to generate a feeling that gets you immersed with the game.

ok, I would like to say that, I'm Happy !

I've spent the last 4 days fully working on the Cinepak player, and it finally works !

Thanks to TXG/MNX for providing the original player source, I've created a standalone module (about 6k of code) that can be loaded in ram and called to play a cinepak movie from CD.

It use almost 1.5mbytes of ram, but well I can't help it, the cinepak player needs 1MByte of circular buffer, and triple buffering.

Also my JagCD library can now load data from a little file system and play audio track.

I just made a little "proof" test to Play in loop cinepak movie/image loading/audio track playing, and it all works without any bugs, glitchs, or jaguar voodoo stuff.

I can now let the Philia port begin :)

I will release some of my tool and code to the community, including, the cinepak module, my jagcd lib, and my tools for cd encrypt using BJL cable, cd track maker, and cd file system tool.

soon, I just need to write some "how to use" info about this :)

Edited by Orion_
  • Like 7

I've spent the last 4 days fully working on the Cinepak player, and it finally works !

Thanks to TXG/MNX for providing the original player source, I've created a standalone module (about 6k of code) that can be loaded in ram and called to play a cinepak movie from CD.

It use almost 1.5mbytes of ram, but well I can't help it, the cinepak player needs 1MByte of circular buffer, and triple buffering.

Also my JagCD library can now load data from a little file system and play audio track.

I just made a little "proof" test to Play in loop cinepak movie/image loading/audio track playing, and it all works without any bugs, glitchs, or jaguar voodoo stuff.

I can now let the Philia port begin :)

I will release some of my tool and code to the community, including, the cinepak module, my jagcd lib, and my tools for cd encrypt using BJL cable, cd track maker, and cd file system tool.

soon, I just need to write some "how to use" info about this :)

YES!!!!!

Shouldn't there be something in the sources out there ready made? Isn't the MYST source code out there somewhere? What player did they use with HS CD?