IGNORED

Philia - Sequel to Elansar - JagCD

Orion_

Philia for Jaguar CD  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Philia on Jaguar CD

• Yes, if it cost equal or less than 35$ (25?)
    • Yes, if it is 35$ to 40$ (25-30?)
    • Yes, no matter what !
    • No, I don't have a JagCD
    • No, and I have a JagCD (I hate myst, make an action game instead!)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Shouldn't there be something in the sources out there ready made? Isn't the MYST source code out there somewhere? What player did they use with HS CD?

Are Myst or HS source code publicly available ? I don't think so..

There is the original cinepak sample source code from atari sdk but it is outdated for the movie format output by the JagCinepak tool from JagMod.

Also, there is "gamefilm" source, but it's too huge and messy to actually understand and compile it.

TXG sent me another cinepak player sample source code which seems to be a recent version (1995), but I don't know from where he got it.

This version works, it just needed some fix, and then to be able to integrate it in my jaguar dev environment.

The "module" thing I did can be useful for devs, it avoid trying to actually understand/integrate/compile the original cinepak source, you just need a little CD & OP list setup and then there is just one call to play a movie.

(also cinepak codec only compile with the old MAC/ALN, which require an old OS or DOSbox)

• Like 1

There is the original cinepak sample source code from atari sdk but it is outdated for the movie format output by the JagCinepak tool from JagMod.

Also, there is "gamefilm" source, but it's too huge and messy to actually understand and compile it.

TXG sent me another cinepak player sample source code which seems to be a recent version (1995), but I don't know from where he got it.

This version works, it just needed some fix, and then to be able to integrate it in my jaguar dev environment.

The "module" thing I did can be useful for devs, it avoid trying to actually understand/integrate/compile the original cinepak source, you just need a little CD & OP list setup and then there is just one call to play a movie.

(also cinepak codec only compile with the old MAC/ALN, which require an old OS or DOSbox)

the Myst source is available, or a version of it, i believe it was produced as a purchasable pack over at JS2. i have a copy of this, i can send it over if you want it?

• Like 1

the Myst source is available, or a version of it, i believe it was produced as a purchasable pack over at JS2. i have a copy of this, i can send it over if you want it?

That's what I said, it's not publicly available ;)

I finally have the cinepak player working, but it might be interesting to see the source anyway, if you want to send it to me,

if it's not too heavy < 5Mbytes you can send it to my website e-mail, else you can upload a zip somewhere and send me the link by private message here.

That's what I said, it's not publicly available ;)

I finally have the cinepak player working, but it might be interesting to see the source anyway, if you want to send it to me,

if it's not too heavy < 5Mbytes you can send it to my website e-mail, else you can upload a zip somewhere and send me the link by private message here.

If you would like just the source then it might not be too big, i think it turns into a beast where the content like pictures / video is included i cant remember if Myst has video to be honest, i will look at it over the weekend.

i will probably rar it up and send you a dropbox link so you can download it at your leisure if that is the case

I have the HS CD sources somewhere. I'll dropbox them as well if you wish. It will be a week or so.

the complete myst source files rar up to 700 meg, i will get it uploaded to dropbox for you soon and post a link. there are other files on the disk with it but i dont think they are to do with the actual source code

Can we all grab a copy of it? Or is the link just going to be in PM?

I think if someone has been selling this as a "jaguar release" the least devs deserve is the chance to look at it and see if there's anything that can be put to use.

Code on a disc for the shelf seems utterly pointless. It should all be out there, freely available to anyone who wants to look at it.

• Like 2

I think if someone has been selling this as a "jaguar release" the least devs deserve is the chance to look at it and see if there's anything that can be put to use.Code on a disc for the shelf seems utterly pointless. It should all be out there, freely available to anyone who wants to look at it.

Capitalism at its finest.

Maybe Karl Marx ain't so bad...

some news about my progress.

I have converted all the movies in cinepak, they are all playing very well. (45mbytes of data)

I also have converted all the graphics and musics data into Jaguar format, (22mbytes of data, >470 files)

I tried to read and check the integrity of the data from CD, it's all good ! who said the JagCD is not reliable ?? :)

I computed how I can squeeze the game into 2mbytes of ram, it's tight but it fits.

I will use the same technic as myst, having an audio buffer in ram, the audio quality will not be the same as audio cd (8bit mono 22khz),

but it won't interrupt the music each time you click to go to another place.

Now I'm beginning the port of the main C code.

an interesting thing about myst, the screen image are small ! 272x192 only !

Philia and Elansar are 320x240 :)

• Like 7

some news about my progress.

I have converted all the movies in cinepak, they are all playing very well. (45mbytes of data)

I also have converted all the graphics and musics data into Jaguar format, (22mbytes of data, >470 files)

I tried to read and check the integrity of the data from CD, it's all good ! who said the JagCD is not reliable ?? :)

I computed how I can squeeze the game into 2mbytes of ram, it's tight but it fits.

I will use the same technic as myst, having an audio buffer in ram, the audio quality will not be the same as audio cd (8bit mono 22khz),

but it won't interrupt the music each time you click to go to another place.

Now I'm beginning the port of the main C code.

an interesting thing about myst, the screen image are small ! 272x192 only !

Philia and Elansar are 320x240 :)

Is it as hard to make sense of as gamefilm? If you want it would be interesting if you could elaborate on what parts you were able to use out of the Myst source and what parts you were able to use.

myst source is huge, and full of C code (even for some part of cinepak)

I didn't use any part of it, and in fact I'm pretty sure no one can use a part of a full game source code (unless you want to port the whole game)

as I said, I already had the cinepak working before having myst source.

And it's not because my game is a "myst like" that I can use the myst source to make a similar game.

I use my own tools, my own engine, it has nothing to do with how myst engine works

And in fact, myst "engine" is all hardcoded into plenty of C source files, even the mouse hotspot coordinates are hardcoded into each C function !

Edited by Orion_
  • Like 3

Regarding my progress, at first I was a bit lazy about the sound mixer, I was planning 22kHz 8bits Mono

but I finally found some motivation and reworked my DSP mixer code with a new, faster, and realtime IMA ADPCM audio decoder.

So know I can store better audio quality in less memory space !

My DSP mixer allow a Music channel at 32kHz 16bits Mono + 3 Sfx channel at 32kHz 8bits Mono

so, better Music quality, and Sfx too (even if it's 8bits, there is 10kHz more sampling !)

and in the end, it use a bit less ram, so it gives me greater flexibility.

I'm now currently porting the C code of Philia's engine, I have some C code running already, but this part will take some times.

Edited by Orion_
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

some news, I'm working on this project all days (including weekend)

The game is now fully playable from Part 1 to Part 2, (didn't tried Part 3, but it should work)

All special "enigma" screens from Part 2 are working, video playback is ok

Audio is ok, though I had to recude frequency from 32khz to 22khz, because the DSP couldn't keep retrieving data while there was huge sprite on screen (360° panorama)

that gave me extra ram, so I could load more data (inventory screen), so you can switch to inventory screen without waiting for CD loading.

I still need to fix some transitions, make a decent gameplay optimised for the Jaguar joypad (and the mouse adapter too !)

integrate a Memory Track saving option, and do a proper menu !

then testing testing, and moaar heavy testing ! to see if everything is working right !

• Like 4

It looks just like the Falcon version 320x240 16bits, but faster (60/50 fps)

the CD loading time are not that long, around 2 seconds per move, sometimes more on some screen.

I just need to make a better gameplay using the joypad (with shortcut keys)

I might make a video soon

• Like 3

It looks just like the Falcon version 320x240 16bits, but faster (60/50 fps)

the CD loading time are not that long, around 2 seconds per move, sometimes more on some screen.

I just need to make a better gameplay using the joypad (with shortcut keys)

I might make a video soon

A video would be pretty sweet...