IGNORED

colecovision controller with non working fire buttons

sprazzi

I tried blowing air into the little slot and some wd-40 in it... still no go.

the keypad and joystick work well.

is there anything else i could try?

what are those colorful wires at the bottom???

should i check them to see if they are firrmly attached?

as usual thank for you time

cheers

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/153675-colecovision-controller-rebuild-and-joystick-ball-offer/?do=findComment&comment=1964088

Post #24 on there from Yurkie may be of some help to you, I cut and pasted part of it below:

1. De-solder dissemble and clean rails and slide with 99% isopropyl alcohol to remove old grease and grime.
2. Put a couple drops of Deoxit on the slide and both sides of the rail ( rail is the 3 flat extensions ) and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
3. Take the slide and carefully straddle it on a strip of paper and move it back and forth to remove any corrsion.
4. Clean the corrsion off the rails with a Q-tip.
5. Put the slide back on the rail,apply a nice thin layer of dielectric grease to protect against corrosion and friction.
6. Reassemble
7. Test with a multi-meter using the continuity setting. press button in very slowly and make sure that contact is continuos from the point where it first makes contact and being fully depressed. If the slide is damaged or rail is bent, contact can be intermitant and button is basically worthless.
8. If button tests perfect, solder it back to the controller pcb.

This is an alternate way to fix the fire button if nothing else seems to work. It requires adding and soldering 1 wire to the controller board and to the grey plastic button. I figured this out today! :)

I would recommend using a rectangular piece of metal with a hole in the middle rather than the piece of metal I used that I had lying around. If I had used a larger piece of metal, it wouldn't have turned out looking like a hot glue mess....yet is still works!!! Next time I'll use a rectangle shaped piece of metal and I'll just drill a hole in it.

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/image/10307-colecovision-controller-fire-button-mod-fix-1-of-2/

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/image/10308-colecovision-controller-fire-button-mod-fix-2-of-2/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily sprazzi. Instead of soldering the wire to the 3rd pin like I did, you could cut a small piece of aluminum foil and try Super gluing the wire to the 3rd pin. Then, Super glue the small piece of aluminum foil on the outside of the wire on top of the 3rd pin to make it stay in place....it should act similar to soldering it. Just make sure your aluminum foil isn't touching any other metal or solder points on the board. Give it a try and let me know if it works....it should.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my ADAM yesterday and the fire buttons didn't work. After trying some things I used QD Electronic cleaner from the auto parts store, let it dry and they work like new. Very nice...