IGNORED

Overseas TI

pjduplooy

Hi guys

Need some help here.

I live in South Africa, and got my beige TI in 82/83. Our systems had a sort of adapter that let you plug in the machine into an tv using coax. You could also plug in a VCR into the same adapter. Was this an RF modulator? I know we could also plug in the TI in a monitor, but cant remember if we had an adapter for it. How was conversion to PAL done? I think I have read here that there was a different chip in the TI.

As we are using 220V I know we used different power adapters. These were TI branded.

Were these likely European models?

What would the revision number most likely be? 2.2?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS, I shouldnt have sold my machine in 1993....DAMN. It is hard to find them here (make that impossible!!!!!!)

Hi guys

Need some help here.

I live in South Africa, and got my beige TI in 82/83. Our systems had a sort of adapter that let you plug in the machine into an tv using coax. You could also plug in a VCR into the same adapter. Was this an RF modulator? I know we could also plug in the TI in a monitor, but cant remember if we had an adapter for it. How was conversion to PAL done? I think I have read here that there was a different chip in the TI.

As we are using 220V I know we used different power adapters. These were TI branded.

Were these likely European models?

What would the revision number most likely be? 2.2?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS, I shouldnt have sold my machine in 1993....DAMN. It is hard to find them here (make that impossible!!!!!!)

I think the PAL models had the 9928? Sounds like you are referring to the RF modulator if it had coax on it. But I honestly don't know much about the non US machines. I think one of the nice things about the 9928 is it has S-Video out directly on the chip. Don't quote me on that though.

Sorry not much more help than that. I'm sure there's others here that can answer WAY better than me.

Cheers!

-Dano

It's a European TI. The European TI's output YUV from the graphics chip, and this is modulated into an RF TV signal by the external RF modulator, which plugs into the rear left socket of the TI (if you're sitting in front of the TI).

You connect one end of the modulator to the TI, the other end to your TV, then you would "tune your TV in" to the TI's TV signal, which is being "transmitted" by the modulator.

There were two types of modulator for European consoles: The early one was a steel box, with the TI logo on it in black and silver, IIRC. It was a P.O.S. It produced so much interference that you had to physically position it in order to reduce the hum noise emanating from the TV speaker. Awful. The later one was a black plastic unit and produced a better picture and sound.

If you are trying to source one, be careful. You'll need a UK/European one. The American ones won't work, as they produce a NTSC signal.

You would be better off getting an F18A replacement video processor for your TI, then you could use any VGA monitor/LCD monitor etc and a standard PC VGA video cable, and you will an absolutely stunning video image.

You would be better off getting an F18A replacement video processor for your TI, then you could use any VGA monitor/LCD monitor etc and a standard PC VGA video cable, and you will an absolutely stunning video image.

Not to mention that the F18A runs in 60Hz, which means a lot for graphics and sound.

I had the steel box, but there was never a issue with interference. But maybe I just happened to put it in a suitable location behind the TV set.

Meh! Ours was *awful*. You basically had to balance it at a certain angle on the window sill, on a Tuesday, whilst standing on a ley-line, one one leg, with one trouser leg rolled up and your shirt on backwards, wearing a gimp mask. Like a Mason*.

Then it worked fine.

*Apparently.

Edited by Willsy

I agree with Willsy & Rasmus, you would be much better off to get an F18A now. It would be less of a headache than messing around with all the external boxes and cables that may or may not give off RFI or even require another converter box at additional expense to work with a modern TV or monitor. Besides, the F18A video is AWESOME! Why spend all that money for crappy video?

Some sellers on eBay treat their TI stuff like gold or investment property, others are in love with the items, both types want a fortune, and that is usually before shipping fees. So, if you do find the item you are looking for, how much is it going to cost? Now, subtract that cost from what an F18A would cost and you begin to see that NOT getting an F18A can be a waste of money.

Price some of the TI cables on eBay then go << HERE >> to see how cheap a new VGA cable can be with free shipping.

With regards to the PAL modulators, my first TI came supplied with the supposedly superior solid plastic job back in 1983, I never had any problems with it, I have bought a few 4a's since then and a few have had the metal modulator which I had heard numerous horror stories about-to my surprise they have all worked just as well as the plastic update.

I do however find that the plastic one has a more solid feel in terms of construction.

well, i do not know if it can help but i try to write you about the RCA modify for the european plastic and metal modulators PHA2036/PHA2030 here and only for metal modulator version here

another choice to connect the European TI to a VCR is to have the PHA2037

post-24673-0-40582200-1395867340_thumb.jpg

it's have a native SCART connector, it's not perfectly compatible with the LCD monitors/TV but it's perfect for older ones.

Thanks guys, now I only have to source a TI, and preferably someone that will ship to South Africa

I have to second the F18A method.

The ONLY reason I don't use my F18A more often is because my monitor does Picture-in-Picture (PIP) and have inputs for Composite, S-Video, VGA, and DVI. The kicker is it won't do PIP with VGA & DVI at the same time. Mac is hooked up to the DVI input and TI is hooked up to VGA but then I can't do PIP. BUT, if I hook up the TI to the Composite input and my Mac to the DVI then I can do PIP and I can use my video capture board to capture the TI at the same time. Some day, I hope to make some video tutorials and the capture board comes in handy for that.

Hands down though, the quality you'll get with the F18A is just unreal!

If you only need a TI base unit, I'll be more than happy to give you one. If you want me to upgrade it with a F18A, I can. I only would expect you to pay me back for the cost of the F18A and shipping to you. No charge for the TI and no charge for the F18A installation.

Cheers!

-Dano

• Like 1

TMS9918A NTSC 60hz composite output

TMS9928A NTSC 60hz component (r-y,b-y,y) output

TMS9929A PAL 50hz component output.

The component output is not compatible with TV component input, which is unsurprising considering that

There were no TV's with a component input in the early 80's

Gee Dano!!!!

What a nice post to read first thing in the morning!! I will pm you later if thats ok!! I have looked on whtech for a power supply manual, but could only find an addendum. Does anyone have technical specs? If I take up Dano's offer, I probably would have to get a step-up transformer as well. Dano, where are you located?