IGNORED

TI Cartridge RARITY Question...

CudaSales

I would like to buy the Game Cartridge "COMPUTER WAR" for my collection and came across one on ebay. The seller is asking $35 on sale or $39 regular price which seems a little pricey. It is listed as Extremely RARE in the auction listing but with all of my research I see it as just UNCOMMON.

Any input would be appreciated :)

Eh, I would pay that if it had a book with it (well, if I wanted it bad enough... I cannot recall how much I paid for mine, but it was around that.) My general rule is that I do not mind paying the original catalog price for games, give-or-take. I recall Computer War was $29.99 from Triton. From my understanding, though, there are two releases: the MicroPal release and (I think) a release labeled from Thorn Emi. I am certain Lee can correct me on that one :)

I would like to buy the Game Cartridge "COMPUTER WAR" for my collection and came across one on ebay. The seller is asking $35 on sale or $39 regular price which seems a little pricey. It is listed as Extremely RARE in the auction listing but with all of my research I see it as just UNCOMMON.

Any input would be appreciated :)

I would have to say it is RARE but not EXTREMELY rare. They also released that on disk with Submarine and River Rescue (IIRC).

Extremely rare is something along the lines of Robotron 2048.

I've seen Computer War go anywhere from around the $30 range up to maybe $70 if it was in top notch shape, manual and all. Worst thing about the third party cartridges is they all seemed to use extremely cheap labels. And fall off due to age quite easily. Which, I don't mind if it's still there to be glued back on but that isn't always the case (no pun intended).

Cheers!

-Dano

About the only way to get this one for less than $25 is if it happens to be in a larger lot of cartridges. Other than that, it usually hits $25-$35, sometimes more if it has the original manual with an undamaged keyboard strip (it was part of the manual cover and you could cut it loose, IIRC from when I bought mine back in 1986/7). The manual is a lot harder to find than the cartridge is. . .although neither part is particularly rare (about the same as any other 3rd party TI cartridge sold for several years).

I haven't looked in a while, but I'm pretty sure my manual is a double-sided, yellowish piece of 'cardboard'. It never had any keyboard strip and I never used one. With the cartridge, I know it never came with any label either. I didn't like that it was blank, so I found some mini computer-character-looking stickers and put them on. It looked pretty cool and it's a great game.

Here's a PDF of the manual I got somewhere...

Computer War (Micropal) manual.pdf

Edited by GratedTopping

I noticed that he sells a lot of TI software on non-original floppy disks on ebay. I am all in for sharing and keeping the resources available for personal use but isn't there an issue with copyright legalities when you are reselling this stuff?

Yeah, I've kinda wondered about that myself. I feel like the listings are a little misleading sometimes. Copies of manuals, stocks photos, games on disk, etc...