IGNORED

Setting up a 632k cart

Gazoo

I just got the programmed AVR chip today. It's for the 632kXB27 cart, not the final version XB27 Suite cart. But I'm assuming that will work similarly to this one as the same concepts are in place, perhaps with even more care taken.

I'm very pleased to say that this cart is ROCK SOLID! :) Everything works, I've checked all the programs twice now, and run a bunch of XB programs.

It's amazing to actually have XB v2.7 on a cart after all these years! Whoopie! :grin:

Ksarul, you need to start soldering some boards, its party time! :lolblue:

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 6

I have about 10 boards left from my original board run (half of which are assembled), Gazoo. I'll be holding off on another order until we have the Widget issue fixed, as that does limit the ways we can use it for the moment. You have made my day with your usable images though. Are all three of the ones you made with various flavors of XB fully functional or do they need some of the tweaking you did for your final XB 2.7 cart? I'm itching to burn myself one of each of them. . . :) :) :)

• Like 2

I have about 10 boards left from my original board run (half of which are assembled), Gazoo. I'll be holding off on another order until we have the Widget issue fixed, as that does limit the ways we can use it for the moment. You have made my day with your usable images though. Are all three of the ones you made with various flavors of XB fully functional or do they need some of the tweaking you did for your final XB 2.7 cart? I'm itching to burn myself one of each of them. . . :) :) :)

It doesn't appear that REVIEW MODULE LIBRARY is functional, so the Grom startup header I had on page 4 had to be moved to page 1. And in doing so I had to learn how to bank switch Grom to get that to work because the menu code is on page 4. For those that are interested, you write the least significant byte of the page you want to switch to to >83FB with Grom code, then duplicate the code in the same address in the destination page and continue on from there.

So the other 2 XB carts may not work, it's best that I fix them.

But yes, this is a good day. :)

Gazoo

• Like 2

I'm very ashamed of myself. I forgot to thank the most important person involved in the making of this cart.

Thank you, Tursi, for your AVR Grom code. Without you, none of this would have been possible.

We've had our differences, and I'd like to think that contributed to a better end product, so it's all good. :)

Cheers!

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 2

It doesn't appear that REVIEW MODULE LIBRARY is functional, so the Grom startup header I had on page 4 had to be moved to page 1. And in doing so I had to learn how to bank switch Grom to get that to work because the menu code is on page 4. For those that are interested, you write the least significant byte of the page you want to switch to to >83FB with Grom code, then duplicate the code in the same address in the destination page and continue on from there.

So the other 2 XB carts may not work, it's best that I fix them.

But yes, this is a good day. :)

Gazoo

Here's the 128k Flash file for XB3 Suite. Use it in conjunction with the 512k Rom and EEprom files from XB27 suite, as they're the same.

Gazoo

Edit: Here's the complete set of files. Note that the EEprom and 512k Rom files are the same as the XB27 Suite cart, though.

[deleted attachment=348968:XB3 Suite.zip]

Edit: Something's not quite right with the Rom, hold off on this one. Sorry! :(

Edited by Gazoo

Sorry for the bad XB3 version. :(

I forgot about the 3 banks of Rom instead of 2.

I took out the Games so everything would fit.

TI Diagnostics is still there, though.

And spacebar to skip the menu and go to the TI menu screen with XB3 on it..

Hey, did anyone notice that you have to hold down a key in XB3 to load DSK1.LOAD?

If you don't hold a key, it goes right to *Ready *, the opposite behavior of most XBs.

Updated file is here:

XB3 Suite.zip

Gazoo

Here's the Super Extended Basic Suite cartridge.

Games work on this one, as well as the TI Diagnostics cartridge.

What is not included is the spacebar hold on powerup to go to the TI menu with just Basic and Super Extended Basic. SXB balks at that for some reason, so I took it out.

SXB Suite.zip

Gazoo

• 3 months later...

I don't fully know what is going on in here, but I like it LOL. So much to learn, I think I am going to try and get these files loaded in to classic99. You guys are beastly. I am also interested in getting a Ti 99/4a system on top of using the Emulator, as another member wrote me about the urge to do that and he's right, there is an urge to own the real unit too.

So here is an update, I now have Extended basic v2.7 loaded YES, feeling accomplished:D

Edited by firepod

• 1 month later...

I have the following:

1 x (Green Board) 512K FLASH ROM/GROM Board from Jim

1 x AT49F040 512K Flash with DIP28 -> PLCC32 adaptor

1 x AtMega 1284P AVR Microcontroller

1 x Minipro programmer

Say, I want to burn RXB (from the zip file above) onto this cart?

Which of the 3 files included in the ZIP go where?

128K Flash file into the 512K 49F040?

512K ROM file into the 1284P "Data" area?

EEPROM file into the 1284P "Code" area?

I have the following:

1 x (Green Board) 512K FLASH ROM/GROM Board from Jim

1 x AT49F040 512K Flash with DIP28 -> PLCC32 adaptor

1 x AtMega 1284P AVR Microcontroller

1 x Minipro programmer

Say, I want to burn RXB (from the zip file above) onto this cart?

Which of the 3 files included in the ZIP go where?

128K Flash file into the 512K 49F040?

512K ROM file into the 1284P "Data" area?

EEPROM file into the 1284P "Code" area?

128K Flash file into the 1284P "Code" area.

EEPROM file into the 1284P "Data" area.

512K ROM file into the 512K 49F040.

Gazoo

Thanks for that. It worked like a charm.

It took me a little head-scratching before I worked out I was using a DIP28 instead of a DIP32->PLCC32 adaptor. I could read and blank-check the 49F040 but couldn't write it, even if I removed the "check device ID" checkbox.

Once I spotted the DIP32->PLCC32 adaptor in my box though, all became clear and it programmed first time, even WITH device ID checking enabled.

I remembered to refer to your instructions here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/193163-512k-cartridge-status/?p=3080813 for programming the ATmega1284P.

Just another quick question though. To save me comparing binaries, are the files for the ATmega1284P common to each ZIP file above, with only the contents of the 49F040 flash memory being different, or would I need to re-program BOTH ICs if I wanted to try XB3 and Super Extended BASIC?

Edited by UKRetrogamer

The 1284p binaries are definitely different, that's where the Grom code is. The 49F040 is the Rom.

I've been using 29F040s instead of 49F040s because the 49F040s wouldn't program very well for me. If you find the cart to be unstable, you may want to try the 29s.

Gazoo

I thought I had a problem with the 49F040s I'd been given but this was down to me picking the wrong DIP to PLCC adaptor. I originally tried programming them in a 28-pin adaptor, failed and then realised it was MY mistake.

All 3 programmed and verified first time on the Minipro with the supplied 32-pin adaptor. (Makes sense really, seeing as the 49F040 is a 32-pin PLCC).

I currently only have the one UberGROM cart board, so unless I change frequently, I'm unlikely to have further problems. I might try out Super Extended Basic and XB3, just to see the differences though.

In the end, I may settle for making this a second XB v2.7 Suite cartridge, just so I can have one near my Ti with nanoPEB and one near the PEB equipped one.

Edit: The problems you say you experienced. Were they with programming and verifying the flash PLCC or with their stability when using the cartridge in a console?

Edited by UKRetrogamer

I thought I had a problem with the 49F040s I'd been given but this was down to me picking the wrong DIP to PLCC adaptor. I originally tried programming them in a 28-pin adaptor, failed and then realised it was MY mistake.

All 3 programmed and verified first time on the Minipro with the supplied 32-pin adaptor. (Makes sense really, seeing as the 49F040 is a 32-pin PLCC).

I currently only have the one UberGROM cart board, so unless I change frequently, I'm unlikely to have further problems. I might try out Super Extended Basic and XB3, just to see the differences though.

In the end, I may settle for making this a second XB v2.7 Suite cartridge, just so I can have one near my Ti with nanoPEB and one near the PEB equipped one.

Edit: The problems you say you experienced. Were they with programming and verifying the flash PLCC or with their stability when using the cartridge in a console?

Only 1 out of about 25 programmed correctly. All the others stopped at some point in the programming sequence, most at the halfway point as if they were 256k chips.

Others, a few, stopped immediately and a few more made it 20% to 30% through. I haven't trusted the lone good chip enough to actually use it in a cartridge as I prefer stability.

Since 1 actually programmed correctly, I assume the chips were either bad or mislabeled. All of the 29F040s I've ever tried programmed correctly, and that's around 60 of them at this point.

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

I've programmed a dozen or so of the 49F040s as bank test chips and as the various games cartridges so that I can verify the operation of the UberGROM boards--it really comes down to the adapter you are using. I have a really nice clamshell Yamaichi socket--and every chip I've programmed works right out the gate, even a couple chips that I got back from Acadiel at the Faire that he was having problems programming. I popped the chips in and out of the last 25 boards I built (before that, I only had one test chip) and they worked every time. That's actually a good thing from my standpoint, as I still have a couple of thousand of these chips (I bought 2,500 of them a few years ago). I will probably do a PLCC variant of the 512K board at some point as well, just so I have another place to use them. . .

• 1 month later...

I'm having a few problems with getting the XB 2.7 cart to work properly.

I've programmed the Atmega correctly and the AT49F040 and all verified ok, but when I hit "A" for XB 2.7 I get

"I/O error 70 in line 100"

I reflashed a more voltage tolerant version of AT49F040 to a AT49BV040 but that has made no difference, so at least that

rules out a flaky Rom chip.

The games and all the other software I have tested seems to work ok. My system has a NanoPEB and a F18a installed too.