IGNORED

ROM to Cart Service?

Has anyone considered doing a product/service, where someone can email them a ROM and send PayPal, and the recipient burns the ROM to a cartridge and then mails it back? I am thinking of an on-demand hobbyist-class service with prices in the $50 range or something. In a lot of cases nothing beats playing on the OG hardware.

If it's for your own personal use, it seems like a multi-cart would be a better option, especially at $50/pop for single titles.

Did you have something in mind for discrete cartridges as compared to, say, a multicart of some sort? It doesn't take many games at $50/pop to get to the price of a CC3 on eBay. :-)

Edited by intvnut

For me, there is something special about having a copy of a game on a cart (or disc) and not on a multi cart or emulation or downloaded game from PlayStation store or eshop.

Know what I mean?

Edited by revolutionika

For me, there is something special about having a copy of a game on a cart (or disc) and not on a multi cart or emulation or downloaded game from PlayStation store or eshop.

Know what I mean?

Well, I can see the case for some folks to just play emulation, PlayStation store, etc.

I can also see the case for others to prefer a dedicated cart or disc, if it was the actual original release, or even a well done dedicated re-release that has a nice label, all the trimmings, etc.

But a generic unlabeled cart without the trimmings doesn't seem terribly special as compared to just putting the game on a multicart if your goal, as Tinty's was, is just to play on the original hardware.

Now, I know that AA has a cartridge service for the Atari, and they'll even print a label for you (with fine print that they'll mark it reproduction), on the principle that you're making it for personal use. And I can definitely see the charm. I guess I'm more of a multi-cart person, although I wouldn't mind having overlays handy for games that need them. :-)

Edited by intvnut

Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, in my misspent DJ'ing youth, there used to be cassette reproduction services for musicians and DJs, where you submit a tape with a bulk order for copies. The service was scaled so that you could order anything from 10 to thousands of copies. This was the way we got to distribute demo tapes around town, or sell mixes on the streets.

I wonder if a service like that could work with ROM carts for the small-time home-brewer. That way they wouldn't need to depend on "publishing houses" like back in 1981. Making a big time production with gate-fold boxes and the works, is one thing; but if someone wants to distribute a game in cart only, it seems that the only available options are to partner up with a publisher or go at it alone and make your own boards.

Just an idea.

-dZ.

Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, in my misspent DJ'ing youth, there used to be cassette reproduction services for musicians and DJs, where you submit a tape with a bulk order for copies. The service was scaled so that you could order anything from 10 to thousands of copies. This was the way we got to distribute demo tapes around town, or sell mixes on the streets.

I think that's somewhat different than what Tinty was asking about. Without further clarification, I was under the impression Tinty was asking about a service for personal use, as in "put this on a cartridge I don't intend to resell."

This could all too easily become an area where a lot of caution becomes necessary if it involves the original games. I made the same interpretation as intvnut. It seems that if you want to play some arbitrary game on real hardware, a multicart, or even a "flash-like" cart like the original IntelliCart is perfect. I guess having these, it's easy to say that. But if you're talking $50 a pop for these one-offs, it's only a handful of games and you've bought yourself a CC3 or IntelliCart. Would the provider of such a service may be exposed to some risk then, too?

I think that's somewhat different than what Tinty was asking about. Without further clarification, I was under the impression Tinty was asking about a service for personal use, as in "put this on a cartridge I don't intend to resell."

Yes, I know that's probably not what he meant. It was just an idea to lower the barriers for small home-brew releases. However, I don't know how practical it is.

In any case, for a one-off, I concur that a multi-cart such as the CC3 is the best way.

-dZ.

Yes, I know that's probably not what he meant. It was just an idea to lower the barriers for small home-brew releases. However, I don't know how practical it is.

In any case, for a one-off, I concur that a multi-cart such as the CC3 is the best way.

-dZ.

In 2014, a CC3 is made out of unobtanium. I have no real chance of getting one at an affordable price. I am interested in, as @intvnut said, a way to get a personal instance of a .ROM file onto a single-use cartridge that I can play, just for me. Nothing for resale or professional use at all. Paying $nn to someone to give me a chance to play Learning Fun or Super Cobra or Choplifter Spina the Bee on real hardware with the kids is worth it, as there is no practical, realistic chance I will see any of those titles (or several others).

It would even be cool if there was a kind of "make your own cartridge cookbook" that went along with a piece of hardware with a compact flash connector on one side and Intv cartridge pins on the other that would let a single .ROM file be played without the overhead of cables for loading software, etc.

I am offering a 'Cafe Press' style publishing service for non-infringing programs. It will work like this...

We charge $40 per cartridge. We design and print the label, manufacture the cartridge and ship the game. The programmer sets the price. For example $50. The programmer sells the game, and either forwards the money to us or lets us accept the money. We take our $40 cut and forward the remainder back to the programmer. The programmer may sell the game as long as he can, and as many copies as possible. Manufacturing would be 'on demand'. This would only be for cartridge only games. The author would be free to sell ROM or publish with other places. We would only be manufacturing and shipping the programmer's game.

NO source is required. The game ownership remains with the author. Game labels will be paid for by the programmer if fewer than 100 copies are ordered.

If anyone is interested in such a service, contact us at gamesforyourintellivision@hotmail.com

• Like 1

i will rent cour cuttle cart! .-) because i want to have one for my latest release - just to test on an original intellivision .-)

If there is someone out there that could help me with his cuttle cart - paying up to 250$

i am really desperate!