IGNORED

PS4 and Logitech G27 wheel

save2600

Been on a driving game kick as of late and purchased a really nice wheel combo and stand for it all. Don't have a PS3 or a PS4, but am thinking about getting one or the other. Primarily just to play the latest, greatest racing games. And by latest, PS3 would certainly fit that bill for me if it turns out the PS4 doesn't like the G27 or perhaps it's too early to tell what games will support it?

Anyone happen to have any experience with this combo? I was shocked and disappointed at the same time that the G27's USB connector works with the PS2, but only certain games take advantage of it. Outrun 2006 not being one of them. :mad: :lol:

So, while PS2 compatibility with this wheel is sketchy at best, I've got $430 tied up in this nice wheel combination and would like to have another system really exploit what the thing is all about. BUT… am not interested in PC's or PC gaming at all. Mac is okay, but seems (as always) limited as far as selection goes. Unless someone can recommend some really nice racing games for the Mac, really mostly prefer gaming on consoles.

I do have Auto Sport Driving for the Mac and works real well with the G27. Will revisit the game once the stand arrives though. And I know I've got one of the Gran Turismo driving games for the PS2 (3 or 4?) somewhere around here.

Anyway, for now, here's how I've got the G27 set up. :lol:

post-13896-0-08008300-1397254395_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It is expected that the combo will work on ps4, but to my knowledge there aren't any games to take advantage of it to be sure. Pre-launch, sony stated that it would be up to developers to utilize 'other' hardware--which I believe has been their policy since PS2. (though on ps3 it did do things like system menus too)

GT6 on ps3 is a rather nice title for it, IMO. Basically it's just GT5 with streamlined menus, and the annoying grinding removed, but those were large complaints on my end. (GT5 forgot to be fun)

For PS2, Enthusia Professional Racing is often overlooked. GT4 is the best game for wheels on that console, naturally.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

PS3 is where it's at right now if you want console action with this wheel thanks to Codemaster's F1 franchise, Gran Turismo, and various other simcades. But on the PS4, F1 2014 and Project Cars later this year should take advantage of it to good effect.

And they've talked like Gran Turismo 6 is PS4 bound as early as this Fall so that would be another good one. And there are hints of a new TOCA game from Codemasters going back to its Playstation 1 roots where it was a console simcade based on the BTCC unlike today's Grid franchise that evolved after a dumbing down during the PS2 years for the TOCA franchise into a pure arcade racer.

The more arcadey a game is, the less well suited it is to a Logitech wheel with its cheap plastic gears and such and the less entertainment benefit people typically get as they find such games actually are played better with a gamepad. Nice, gentle, smooth movements are what most benefits from a wheel/pedal set and they can actually be detrimental to an arcade racer where rapid and extreme movements are common.

So Drive Club and Need for Speed 2014 probably will be best with a stock gamepad. Same with the upcoming Dirt 4 with its tight hairpins and rapid movements and WRC 2014 if it arrives on the PS4 since rally racers are hard on wheels and pedals.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

And there are hints of a new TOCA game from Codemasters going back to its Playstation 1 roots where it was a console simcade based on the BTCC unlike today's Grid franchise that evolved after a dumbing down during the PS2 years for the TOCA franchise into a pure arcade racer.

That'd be awesome. I've really only played the PC version of TOCA 3, but I loved the variety of career types in it. I also disliked the art direction (browny) that was adopted for the later dirt/grid franchises, so hopefully that won't be back.

TOCA 3 vs Dirt

toca31.th.jpg img01k.th.jpg

Edited by Reaperman

Even their other racing franchises went brown. Thankfully, Dirt 3, Grid 2, and their newer entries in their F1 series have seen a return to more colorful (And believable) visuals so hopefully they continue that trend.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is that this is what they were hinting at. Not exactly what I had in mind, but Grid 3 should still be a fun arcade racer at least.

http://gematsu.com/2014/04/grid-autosport-announced-ps3-xbox-360-pc

I thought 2014 would be when they release Dirt 4. I wonder if that will instead be a next gen exclusive while this Grid sequel keeps their 360/PS3 fans happy.

Edited by Atariboy

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Anyone happen to have any experience with this combo? I was shocked and disappointed at the same time that the G27's USB connector works with the PS2, but only certain games take advantage of it. Outrun 2006 not being one of them.

I know this is a bit late, but the Japanese version, titled Outrun 2 SP (same as the arcade version), does work with Logitech wheels. And extremely well.