IGNORED

Season 3/ Weeks 7/8 ~ The NEW HSC ~ Radical Wheels Weeks

Vocelli

Ok fair enough but we do not have to add to the problem...people who play under the honor system do not need to know of such things.

I understand that all games are not perfect...I know of exploits as well I choose not to employ them because they take out the fun factor out of the game.

There are enough people here to determine if an exploit or glitch or cheat has been used.

As long as I have been a member of AA I have only encountered one person who cheated in an HSC and that person was caught and dealt with...albeit not to the extent that many of us thought would have been fair but dealt with all the same.

I consider that a plus for this community in that we are able to deal with such things...and to speak to the other site... it is a good site with a good idea but it is in its infancy and going through growing pains much like any other site that is of the same configuration as this one. It will take time to have cheat deterrents in place but for now they are just not there yet.

As for me I will await a word from Vocelli.

Edited by NIKON

I do worry about these things NIKON. For example, just telling everyone that an exploit exists might cause cheaters to go looking for it. Openly showing how it can be done just makes it easier to cheat. I have the same worries about revealing the theoretical maximum scores or a game, that might encourage cheaters to inflate their score just below that maximum (the same could be said about posting a score. A cheater knows they can post a score that high with no worries of being caught as a cheater (perhaps we should perform a sting operation. Tell Vocelli we are posting a fake score, and wait for cheaters to post a score that beats it. perhaps I already did that, bawah, ah, ha, ha).

As for cheating/varification on other sites, if HighScore.com accepts just photos for verification, that is there issue. In all honesty, even video can be faked. (hence the huge tool assisted video craze, where people are encouraged to use tools to perform amazing speed runs and other tricks). The only real way to verify anything is to watch it live (or perhaps multiple recordings of a game at dfferent angles, one screen capture, one focused on player joysticks, and a simultanious joystick/video capture.)

Speaking of which, I am more than willing to start a network spectator game of any of the games I have posted scores for HSC using PCAE and killinator (or whatever that network emu client is called). If Vocelli thinks it is an issue, I won't post info about exploits in the future.

Edited by CapitanClassic

This HSC is all for fun.

There is no money involved nor is anyone awarded with the 'The Highest Score on (insert game here') of all Time'.

So, we will not be scrapping these games.

Just continue to play and post scores.

Please do not post scores that continuously farms points.

Doing extra wheelies or flips just get some extra points is OK.

Doing something like shooting the same guy 3,000 times to roll a score is not OK.

Playing a game on 'child mode' just to post a high score is NOT cool.

It is a grey line on some games but I cannot police or investigate every score.

Just let me know me your concerns about peoples scores or with questions if YOU may be farming points with a personal PM.

Also, posting a map or 'rolling the score' on day 1-3 is discouraged. Stating 'Tips' are great and encouraged.

Let the group play a while to have fun with the game and get the most out of a game.

Just remember this is FUN! You win nothing.

So have fun by trying to beat your personal best scores or by trying out a game you may have not tried in the first place.

Some games I would have never played more than 15 minutes without the HSC.

OK. Go have fun!

I said.... GO HAVE FUN!

• Like 2

my 2 cents -- being that it is an honor system, I personally feel it is best to keep this round intact, I don't think anyone is cheating & as already mentioned, there are usually ways to exploit a game anyway.

Also about revealing them, I appreciate your point NIKON but also consider this -- the fewer of us who are aware of an exploit, the more likely it will pass without detection, since we wouldn't be as likely to recognize it. so it may actually protect cheating to keep an exploit concealed.

another point comes to mind too -- it is handy to know about exploits for contests which do allow them - exploits are not always against the rules. So I always appreciate it when someone reveals them, it's fun & interesting. Thanks Capitan -- BTW I have a question for you about that -- how come you have to double-jump in order to do it? can you get more air on the 2nd jump?

BMX improvement: 34920

post-34560-0-50409200-1397691631_thumb.jpg

haven't gotten into doing table-tops yet, just rockin' the double-flips

I think this is my favorite of the games this round

Skateboardin': 1:09 complete

post-34560-0-66625800-1397691740_thumb.jpg

(perhaps we should perform a sting operation. Tell Vocelli we are posting a fake score, and wait for cheaters to post a score that beats it. perhaps I already did that, bawah, ah, ha, ha).

I think you did. Your most recent Skateboardin' score seems like a big fat fraud to me! :P ;) :D :spidey:

how come you have to double-jump in order to do it? can you get more air on the 2nd jump?

You actually don't have to double-jump. I have found that I can get the timing better by performing a double jump. When I failed to discover the flat ground tabletop exploit using Stella (I wasn't aware of all of its features. I am slightly better at using it now), I resorted to attempting the trick without using the frame advance feature at normal 60Hz speed. I seemed to remember back in my grade school days on an Apple IIe that the exploit existed, and figured that it might exist on the VCS as well. The double jump helps me time releasing the down button immediately after the jump, or perhaps it changes the orientation of the sprite at the beginning of the tabletop allowing you to complete the tabletop animation before hitting the ground.

I haven't done extensive testing in Stella to figure out exactly how to pull off the trick, because I am trying to score 55k IRL. I don't have time to go to deeply into something that doesn't help me accomplish that.

I think you did. Your most recent Skateboardin' score seems like a big fat fraud to me! :P;):D:spidey:

gallery_38581_1110_4596.png

Capitan Classic

Skate Boardin' - 0 obstacles with 2:34 remaining

(The trap is set. bwah, ha ha.) (@Vocelli, sorry about posting the map(s). Didn't know that sort of thing was discouraged.)

Edited by CapitanClassic

Improvement on Motorodeo.

Cap, does is make any difference the style of truck and tire? I have played with all four combinations and seem to do the best with the Blazer/Trax combo. I consistently score less with the tires no matter what make of vehicle. I also seem incapable of doing a wheelie, but I don't know if that really makes a difference.

post-409-0-28971800-1397744423_thumb.png

• Like 1

Cap, does is make any difference the style of truck and tire? I have played with all four combinations and seem to do the best with the Blazer/Trax combo. I consistently score less with the tires no matter what make of vehicle. I also seem incapable of doing a wheelie, but I don't know if that really makes a difference.

Wheelie - hold down. (you can also hold down-left or down-right)

If you perform a wheelie while hitting an obstacle like a brick wall, on the third hit (or first if going fast enough), you will get lots of air.

I don't think the top of the car matters besides graphically. I have only been testing with Trax, but the instruction manual says

Then select the type of vehicle, truck or blazer, equipped with either tires or trax. Tires allows you to go over obstacles easier. With trax you bounce higher

I was out a little and then all these cheating talk!

If one wants to cheat there are ... ... save states!!! Cheaters don't need to find games with special exploits!

Saving and loading is very simple and yet very hard to discover! So, I love the honour system! And I don't doubt of anyone here.

And save states aren't the only simple and effective way. Have you ever read stella documentation? The most famous and used emulator comes with good documentation telling how to enable/disable collision detection.

And there are many, many more cheating ways!

Oh, and we allow any controller scheme (not turbo, programmed inputs etc.).

After all this, I'm 100% sure we are making the best decisions allowing emulation. We have great fun, many players, no money or big temptation. All resulting in this great community.

• Like 3

I am throwing out my 1455 score. I cannot verify if I didn't accidentally score an exploit. I have a new recorded run. The video says I scored 1380, but when I looked over the video several times I unintentionally scored points (I bounced on a platform multiple times (+75 points), I accelerated too short a distance up a collapsing ramp (+25), and I was thrown backward (+25) points, and one other one I am forgetting. My new high score is:

Capitan Classic
Motor Rodeo (PAL) - 1230

(the video isn't really 8:00 long. Somehow when editing I inserted black video for 5 minutes)

Edited by CapitanClassic

I am throwing out my 1455 score. I cannot verify if I didn't accidentally score an exploit.

This is another thing.

It's bad when it's difficult to know if the bug or exploit took place in the gaming.

I remember when we played Rainbow Invaders for the harmony games (not the HSC), there were a bug that ocurred sometimes and I wasn't sure it didn't happen for one of my games. :(

I feel your pain, Capitain.

I will watch your video and think better on this game.

This is another thing.

It's bad when it's difficult to know if the bug or exploit took place in the gaming.

This might be a game where we just throw out the scores. I think I have calculated the theoretical maximum, so I know what I think a perfect run would be. The problem is, getting some of these points is very hard without unintentionally scoring points (the only one that is really hard to avoid is the Collapsing Ramp exploit. Usually you will only score an additional +25 points). If you pay attention to your score, you can know if you accidentally scored points. There is another scoring (possible bug) that allows you to crush a car 3x. I am not sure if you are supposed to be able to do this more than twice. I assumed that the proper behavior is 3x, since the brick walls are the same.

Still practicing for a near perfect run for Skate Boardin'.

Skate Boardin' - 0 obstacles 2:36 time left

gallery_38581_1110_793.png

(this video isn't my best run, but it is only off by 2 seconds. I think the theoretical maximum is somewhere between 2:47-2:55)

I think I will just give up on California Games (BMX). I calculated the theoretical maximum score, and I don't think I can do much better than I currently am unless I master the timing of my jumps on the ramp (and the pressing/releasing of the down/tabletop trick). I can settle for second place on this one as well.

(this video doesn't show my highest score, but does give some good examples of how you can pull off a triple jump, and you can score a couple of easy 300 point tabletops where the ground drops a bit.)

California Games (BMX) - 42,840 45,720

gallery_38581_1110_2796.pnggallery_38581_1110_184.png

Edited by CapitanClassic
  • Like 1

Cap, I think I have crushed a car by accident 3x on Motorodeo, but it only happened once, I'm usually too busy trying to get air from them. (when it happened the car went super flat)

I'm also going quite mad trying to get that perfect Skateboardin' run. I'll make one more go at it tonight and then conceded victory to you good sir.

Cap, I think I have crushed a car by accident 3x on Motorodeo, but it only happened once, I'm usually too busy trying to get air from them. (when it happened the car went super flat)

Now that I think about it, there are 4 animations for the car uncrushed, Crushed right, crush left, and crushed flat. This is obviously intentional, you can crush the car 3x for (60 points total). To do so I usually have to roll my moster truck. If I don't, my wheels don't seem to crush it, but the hood does for some reason.

Edited by CapitanClassic

Skateboard - 0:05 left - Zero obstacles left

BMX - 26,760

I think my precision on the skateboard is suffering from all those times that my head has run into a pipe. Now that I think about, that's probably why I have times when I can't remember where the stuff is. It all makes perfect sense. :-D

post-26187-0-07879100-1397854780_thumb.jpg

post-26187-0-95536200-1397854800_thumb.jpg

• Like 1