IGNORED

what about a pool for the best game of all time

vprette

we are entering the round 3!

I think we can consider the 20 titles entering round 3 as a good reference for any new retrofan starting to collect intv system:

the 20 titles are

Utopia

Shark Shark

Tower of Doom

Dreadnaught Factor ?

Dracula ?

Beamrider ?

Beauty & Beast

Diner

Burgertime

Bunp'n Jump

Atlantis

Astrosmash

World Championship Baseball

World Series Baseball

Lock'n'chase

Locomotion

Thunder Castle

Tron Deadly Disc

Major League Baseball

Chip Shot Golf

AD&D

Treasure of Tarmin

we are entering the round 3!

I think we can consider the 20 titles entering round 3 as a good reference for any new retrofan starting to collect intv system:

the 20 titles are

Utopia

Shark Shark

Tower of Doom

Dreadnaught Factor ?

Dracula ?

Beamrider ?

Beauty & Beast

Diner

Burgertime

Bunp'n Jump

Atlantis

Astrosmash

World Championship Baseball

World Series Baseball

Lock'n'chase

Locomotion

Thunder Castle

Tron Deadly Disc

Major League Baseball

Chip Shot Golf

AD&D

Treasure of Tarmin

I disagree. Seriously, three Baseball games, Chip Shot Golf, and no Night Stalker? Blah.

-dZ.

My comment was in response to your post saying that the list was "a good reference for any new retrofan." I would never recommend anybody to buy three very similar Baseball games or even Chip Shot, over a myriad other more deserving and fun titles. But, hey, that's me.

To me, that list means nothing. It's like what intvnut suggested: you may get a good indication for the most popular and favourite game (which is most likely among those 20), but you won't get any meaning or intelligence regarding second or third place.

-dZ.

I proposed a solution to the "baseball problem" in another thread along with my suggestions for round 3 (which includes Night Stalker)

Ultimately this tournament is still interesting, but I've been jealous of the Atari 2600 top 100 list for a long time. I really wish there was something definitive on the Intv boards, so I want this to be a success.. While I understand DZ's point, I don't think we are far away from finding a true #1 #2 #3 etc. Just drop the categories and seed the remaining 20 or 24 games into balanced pools and we'll be able to vote the games into a relatively good 1, 2, 3 positioning.

My comment was in response to your post saying that the list was "a good reference for any new retrofan." I would never recommend anybody to buy three very similar Baseball games or even Chip Shot, over a myriad other more deserving and fun titles. But, hey, that's me.

To me, that list means nothing. It's like what intvnut suggested: you may get a good indication for the most popular and favourite game (which is most likely among those 20), but you won't get any meaning or intelligence regarding second or third place.

-dZ.

I think that you could make an argument for two similar baseball games ... WSMLB is completely it's own game (and groundbreaking at that). WC is a better game than MLB, however, if you have years to refine something, you can always improve on it. Personally, for the time that it came out and what it meant to the system, I believe that MLB was probably the defining game for the Intellivision. How many people bought the Intellivision over the Atari based on the baseball comparison?

I think that the list of 20 is pretty darn good ... could you nit pick and replace a title or two, sure. Locomotion is in there due to lack of true competition (it will go down in flames against any of the remaining titles). Night Stalker should be there (I'd personally put it in before Dracula, Dreadnaught Factor or Beamrider based on the number of votes (14 to their 10 or less).

• Like 1

That's the rub with votes like these. Today, whether a game was released in 1978 or 1986 is almost irrelevant. Back then, it made a huge difference. How people vote in polls like these, as several have pointed out, is really unique per voter. Some will weight heavily based on nostalgia (e.g. wongojack's observations about what you played w/ your brother vs. what was 1-player). Others will consider the time at which the game was released. WCB vs. MLB is a perfect case study for this. Some might just look at a game rating site or click randomly. Who knows what each person will use to make that choice?

For me, a head-to-head of WCB vs. MLB will be easy - I'd choose MLB. My reasons are a mixture of nostalgia and timeline. IMO MLB was *the* killer app for Intellivision, and a huge reason for its success. People were blown away by the quantum jump in realism compared to what else was in the market. I also have a huge soft spot for it, as we got it in the initial Christmas batch of games (full color, heavy cart FTW) and played the hell out of it. Totally emotion-based and not at all rational, that aspect of my choice. I didn't get WCB until way later. I really appreciated the features, but by then my tastes for gaming had changed to PC games so it wasn't nearly as important to me at the time.

Ideally, we'd have the law of large numbers at play here, but we don't. IMO we'd need thousands of votes rather than less than ~100 for most of these polls. Sort of the 'wisdom of crowds' answer.

As to WSMLB - I agree, it's in a category by itself. It is an entirely different game - a real simulation - perhaps the first. I see less of a problem with having that get through. I think that MLB and WCB will cannibalize each other in the voting and another worthy game should slide in (haha see what I did there?). Then again, both are good enough to possibly squeeze (oops, I did it again) out such a game. It's up to the voters to decide!

• Like 3

Pretty happy with top 20 - very happy to see all 3 AD&D themed games in there. Would have liked to see Night Stalker, Sea Battle, Swords & Serpents and a couple more INTV games in there, but difficult to do when getting down to 20-games. Overall not a bad list but I'm sure everyone could easily pick 5 more great games to pit in a top 25. Just shows the depth of the library. And think how many sports titles aren't ecen in top 20 and they were mostly all very good.

• Like 2

ok

nighstalker increased votes and goes to round 3.

We start now with the FINAL votation for sport!

due to the big difference in votes between baseballs and other titles, it is quite useless to make a bih final poll:

tha final will be classic Major league vs World Championship! they already fight in first poll (18-21 score), but let's see if the votes from all the people will change the result.

Edited by vprette

-dZ.

The polls are fun and i'm enjoying them. But i do wonder if some people are voting for the better made game, the more fun game or the underdog game that doesn't enough attention normally.

2000+ votes collected so far.. not bad :-)

Actually, you have 25 individual polls on the first round, then 10 on the second, and 3 on the last, for a total of 38 individual polls. 2,000 votes spread throughout them comes to about 50 people participating. Not bad, though.

- j.

Not bad - seriously? I'd say an average of 50 votes per poll with lots of comments is pretty damn good! Good job vprette!! dZ run along now like a good little chap and make sure if Tower of Doom was released on cart LOL;-)

For Ace Frehley & KISS Fans: "You know my name it is a number, it's on a piece of plastic film. I've been growing funny flowers outside of my little window cill... I'm a 2000 Man....2000 Man....2000 Man...."