IGNORED

Js99'er

Asmusr

Not sure if this is a bug in js99er. If you open the debugger and set a view address (e.g. CPU memory >8300) then afterwards the keyboard doesn't work anymore in the emulator.

You can test it with Pitfall. Even if you press the "Reset" button they keyboard still seems to be disabled.

Either way, that's a fantastic emulator you have there. Very impressive! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, it should be fixed now.

• 3 weeks later...

I can finally post on the forum, and wanted to thank ASMUSR for JS99ER. I have been having a lot of fun with it. I have been typing in the examples from the Beginner's Basic manual. So relaxing.

And getting to play my favorite Star Trek port has been fun as well.

Arigatto, Asmusr San.

• Like 2

Dragon Flyer, also known as Spotshot when it was initially released. DataBioTics had a tendency to change the names of programs over time to make them look like something new. . .and Spotshot was the first DBT cartridge I bought back in the day--along with Black Hole.

This was one of the three Sofmachine games - Spotshot (Dragonflyer), Barrage, and Jumpy (Qmaze). Spotshot was done by Jim Dramis (aka Parsec partner, Munchman, Car Wars) and Barrage was done by Garth Dollahite (TI Invaders). I spent many captivating hours "testing" :-D Spotshot and Barrange and giving feedback to Jim and Garth. And I've played them many times in the years since, and they're still captivating. Not long after TI exited the home computer, the Sofmachine principals (Jim, Garth, and myself) had to get real jobs. I ended up back at TI in Dallas. A year or so later Sofmachine licensed the games to DataBiotics, who changed the name of Spotshot and Jumpy.

Jumpy was my game, which was hurriedly wrapped up to meet DataBiotics datadeadline. While we were developing our games for Sofmachine, I didn't have as much time to devote to Jumpy as Jim and Garth did because I was also writing development utilities and designing/building hardware prototypes (16K banked cartridge emulator). One of these days I hope to truly finish Jumpy and add in some of the features I'd originally planned. With the many excellent 99/4A programming tricks that have been developed since (many by members of this forum), Jumpy could be more capable now.

• Like 5

I noticed something while testing my Turmoil clone in JS99er - sometimes the sprites don't look right, most often when there is a blinking prize sprite there appears to be a inactive bullet sprite letting the char colors through. Also when the player ship dies, the bullet in that row should be disabled, but it still shows overlapping. In the code when a bullet sprite goes inactive, it sets the sprite list color to 0(transparent) and the 9918a will not draw that sprite (on hardware and classic99.) In the sprite lists, the priority is: bullets, then player ship, then enemy ships. I see in the JS code in the sprite preprocessing stage that the sprite colors are copied to spriteBuffer, and the higher-priority transparent bullet sprite is "erasing" the black outline of the ship sprite. I think that transparent sprites should not be copied to the spriteBuffer (but still considered for 4 sprite limit.)

I noticed something while testing my Turmoil clone in JS99er - sometimes the sprites don't look right, most often when there is a blinking prize sprite there appears to be a inactive bullet sprite letting the char colors through. Also when the player ship dies, the bullet in that row should be disabled, but it still shows overlapping. In the code when a bullet sprite goes inactive, it sets the sprite list color to 0(transparent) and the 9918a will not draw that sprite (on hardware and classic99.) In the sprite lists, the priority is: bullets, then player ship, then enemy ships. I see in the JS code in the sprite preprocessing stage that the sprite colors are copied to spriteBuffer, and the higher-priority transparent bullet sprite is "erasing" the black outline of the ship sprite. I think that transparent sprites should not be copied to the spriteBuffer (but still considered for 4 sprite limit.)

Thanks, I guess I have missed something there. I assumed that the color of any higher priority sprite would take precedence over the color of any lower priority sprite - even if that "color" was transparent (meaning you would see through to the tile layer and not to the next priority sprite). But if it isn't so on real hardware I will change it, of course.

Now I wonder if that's also how Matthew has implemented it on the F18A?

I think I have fixed this issue now.

• Like 2

Hello Rasmus. I think there's a slight sound issue with latest JS99er. When I go to Js99er firstly, there's no beep. And no noise or sound at all when programming.

Then when I load some software, whichever software randomly, the sound comes back.

It seems to work for me. Is it in Chrome? Try clicking on the padlock next to the URL and check if the site is allowed to play sound. There has been talk about a change in the autoplay policy for a while, meaning that sites cannot play sound on their own without user interaction.

• Like 1

It seems to work for me. Is it in Chrome? Try clicking on the padlock next to the URL and check if the site is allowed to play sound. There has been talk about a change in the autoplay policy for a while, meaning that sites cannot play sound on their own without user interaction.

Yes it was that :)

Thanks Rasmus. It's fine now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just noticed that js99er has the wrong result of running the SIZE command from XB.

Classic99 reports 11840, while js99er is showing 11841.

Not a big deal, just thought i would point it out.

Thanks. The byte is no longer available. I hope nobody used it.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

OK, I just learned it was this emulator that now supports QEMU with TIPI emulation.

I've got to resolve a QEMU config issue with a port which Matt has probably identified, but to be confirmed this evening.

I've got a program, AfterHours BBS, that I need to use JS99'er for debugging some code that has eluded me thus far.

When I pull up the js99er.net page, there are no modules.  I need to be able to use an Editor/Assembler cartridge with the additional 8K ram at >6000 to >7FFF because of the size of the program.

Where is there a suitable cartridge image I can select and use for this capability?

Thanks for the feedback.

Beery

1 hour ago, BeeryMiller said:
OK, I just learned it was this emulator that now supports QEMU with TIPI emulation.

I've got to resolve a QEMU config issue with a port which Matt has probably identified, but to be confirmed this evening.

I've got a program, AfterHours BBS, that I need to use JS99'er for debugging some code that has eluded me thus far.

When I pull up the js99er.net page, there are no modules.  I need to be able to use an Editor/Assembler cartridge with the additional 8K ram at >6000 to >7FFF because of the size of the program.

Where is there a suitable cartridge image I can select and use for this capability?

Thanks for the feedback.

Beery

Click on software

supercart is under apps

41 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Click on software

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

I found Super Space 2 that shows the Editor/Assembler cartridge.  I'm hoping that  selection gives ram at >6000 to >7FFF.

That should hopefully get me started.  Thanks for the feedback.

Beery

Glad to hear that it works.  I'm adding a new feature (File search string within filename or description) I have been trying to debug.  I need a debugger to chase down the issue to see why the routine goes into never-never land.  It's not a TIPI call that I am having problem that I am aware, but with either a DSRLNK or VMBR call that must be giving me something unexpected.

Beery

• Like 1

Here is a a crash course on the debugger. It's quite simple, but it has been good enough for developing several games. 

• Only one breakpoint (CPU, or F18A GPU) is possible
  • To set a breakpoint, enter hex value in the Breakpoint box, or click Stop and then click the left side of the disassembly list to toggle a breakpoint at that address
  • Click Step to single-step
  • Click Start to run to your breakpoint 
  • Shift-click Step to run to two words after the current PC. If the current instruction is a branch this is effectively a Step Over
  • Enter hex address of view address in the View Address box 
  • The memory split view allows you to view a disassembly of your program together with a selected memory region
  • Note that unlike Classic99, the disassembly is a view of the current memory and not a history of executed instructions. This means you can 'disassemble' data and possibly get offset from your program's instructions
  • The Graphics tab may be useful for inspecting tiles and sprites

Classic99 has a far more powerful debugger, and I use it once in a while when I need to do something special like break on memory access or count memory cycles.