IGNORED

Reservation List for a NEW ColecoVision Game! > APRIL 2014 <

retroillucid

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an update. I'm almost finished with this game. This game will contain both graphics from the original Flappy Bird that came out for the iOS.

post-24767-0-28496500-1404401285_thumb.gif <-click to animate.
This contains 2 color palettes from the HD upgrade version.

I also made a game that will come with Flappy Bird. I been working on it for the last 3 weeks. I wanted to fill all 32KB.

post-24767-0-49308200-1404401310_thumb.gif

I like action adventure genre type games and I wanted to make one for the Colecovision. So I came up with a sorta shoot'em type game where you attack by Arrow Dashing enemies.

Right now, I'm on my last kilobyte of memory. This game should be done very soon.

• Like 9

Actually the second game looks more interesting to me than the first.

I need more info about scrolling bgs for the next project.

. Great job.

What I did to make scrolling for Flappy is using double buffered screen. Since there's a limit on how much data that the vdp can process in a frame, the backdrop and the pipes are draw across 6 frames. Put_frame() is the most common function I use in my projects. The backdrop is fill_vram across 2 frame to draw the sky(have to overwrite the old pipes). Then the cityscape is put_vram() on the 3rd frame since put_frame version of it is too slow. It does require 192 bytes, however I Pletter compressed it on to ROM, which compressed it to 36 bytes. It get decompressed into the color table 2 due how Pletter function works and then brought to RAM since I have 192 byte to spare. The pipes are series of put_frame statements, the pipe are drawn in the reminding 3 frames. Put_frame works good for sliding in from the side of the screen and doesn't have any problems when sliding 0-255. However, going y direction 0-255 does have some issue, which I made the pipe stop drawing at 250.

I am using screen(name_table1,name_table2); function. The first argument is which screen to display, the second argument is what screen to draw on. Get put library like print_at, put_at, put_char,put_frame will draw on to the other screen. Without that, the pipe will flicker. Doing assignment of drawing objects, I have enough cpu time to process the game. When Flappy and the score is on the same line, they become transparent(on LCD and blend frame) and they are consistent. It tells me there is no delay and the game is running at 60 fps.

The 2nd stage in the cave is just 1 screen with put_frame statement leaving a trail while the end unturn the trail. The tiles are redefine, which the tiles are stored on ROM get uploaded to that spot of the tile memory. There is slowdown in this section of this game, not enough to cause vram corruption.

Vertical scrolling I did with Pit shoot'em does require quite a bit of RAM. It reads all the tiles, load the new tiles on the top of the screen, and then shift down one row and then write the old tiles.

I had an idea to do horizontal smooth scrolling with variable speed. I lost track of my thoughts. I will come back to that one later.

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 2

Cool thanks for the info. I will look through it and start some experiemtns right after I finish my current project.

What I did to make scrolling for Flappy is using double buffered screen. Since there's a limit on how much data that the vdp can process in a frame, the backdrop and the pipes are draw across 6 frames. Put_frame() is the most common function I use in my projects. The backdrop is fill_vram across 2 frame to draw the sky(have to overwrite the old pipes). Then the cityscape is put_vram() on the 3rd frame since put_frame version of it is too slow. It does require 192 bytes, however I Pletter compressed it on to ROM, which compressed it to 36 bytes. It get decompressed into the color table 2 due how Pletter function works and then brought to RAM since I have 192 byte to spare. The pipes are series of put_frame statements, the pipe are drawn in the reminding 3 frames. Put_frame works good for sliding in from the side of the screen and doesn't have any problems when sliding 0-255. However, going y direction 0-255 does have some issue, which I made the pipe stop drawing at 250.

I am using screen(name_table1,name_table2); function. The first argument is which screen to display, the second argument is what screen to draw on. Get put library like print_at, put_at, put_char,put_frame will draw on to the other screen. Without that, the pipe will flicker. Doing assignment of drawing objects, I have enough cpu time to process the game. When Flappy and the score is on the same line, they become transparent(on LCD and blend frame) and they are consistent. It tells me there is no delay and the game is running at 60 fps.

The 2nd stage in the cave is just 1 screen with put_frame statement leaving a trail while the end unturn the trail. The tiles are redefine, which the tiles are stored on ROM get uploaded to that spot of the tile memory. There is slowdown in this section of this game, not enough to cause vram corruption.

Vertical scrolling I did with Pit shoot'em does require quite a bit of RAM. It reads all the tiles, load the new tiles on the top of the screen, and then shift down one row and then write the old tiles.

I had an idea to do horizontal smooth scrolling with variable speed. I lost track of my thoughts. I will come back to that one later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I decided to reveal little Easter eggs for this game. In the game's title screen, you can push 1, 2, or 3 to pick the default colors for the bird. In the HD version on the Ipad there were 3 different colors for the bird, yellow, red and blue. You can push 4 or 5 to cycle through the primary color bird color, and the secondary bird color. It'll enable the early clock bit making the sprite move 32 pixel to the left. It'll go back to normal if you keep holding 4 or 5. Putting limiter would add a bit a space.

Next I wanted to show the gameplay for A Sparrow Goes Flapping. I think I made this game too hard. It'll show the entire first loop and part of the second half.

• Like 1