IGNORED

Mario Kart 8 (free game with purchase, WindWaker etc)

cimerians

Was there ever a definitive word on if the US is getting the limited edition version with the blue shell statue thing? I've seen mention of a UK release and South Africa, but nothing else.

Looks like it will be worth a billion dollars someday because the only US copies are available for pickup at NintendoWorld according to this:

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/mario-kart-8-limited-edition-bundle/

This guy puts me to sleep but he did a review of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfZtts25iUQ

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/05/15/mario-kart-8-review-hover-conversion/?ncid=rss_truncated

I'm a little worried about motion sickness. My wife experiences it with some games and I'm hoping this doesn't affect her.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone picked this up yet? I snagged my copy yesterday and put a couple of hours into it last night. Seems pretty good so far.

Probably the best aspect is that if you start a multi-player room, you can customize the items. For instance, no blue shells.

I rolled through a course on 50cc last night with no problems, although ironically on my very first race, I got hit with not just one, but two blue shells. It made me think the rubber-banding was indeed horrific once more, but it turns out it was a bit of a fluke (which seems to happen once in a while). There was another time I was also in a lead and got hit with two or three red shells right after one-another (to be fair, this was in 150cc mode though). For the most part though I found myself getting screwed by the AI a lot less than in previous games. Playing with people online was a different story though, that still seemed like a mess, but I guess that's what you would expect with having 12 human-controlled players in a race.

Overall though I think the game is nice. I especially like the fact they brought the coins back from the original Mario Kart, which give you a tiny speed boost when you don't have any, and I really like the new boost mechanic that gives you an extra bit of speed if you jump and do a trick off a ramp.

MK8 is definitely a pretty game. Rubber banding is still a massive problem, but hopefully it's something they'll patch. With the map moved to the gamepad, it's not as easy to notice when it's happening, but it's definitely there. There's also a bunch of bugs I've run across, including occasionally hitting an enemy with a shell and then having them magically appear in front of you 2 seconds later.

Overall I'm fairly happy with the game, but it doesn't come close to knocking off Sonic All-Starts Racing Transformed from the top spot on my list for best kart racer.

MK8 is definitely a pretty game. Rubber banding is still a massive problem, but hopefully it's something they'll patch. With the map moved to the gamepad, it's not as easy to notice when it's happening, but it's definitely there. There's also a bunch of bugs I've run across, including occasionally hitting an enemy with a shell and then having them magically appear in front of you 2 seconds later.

Overall I'm fairly happy with the game, but it doesn't come close to knocking off Sonic All-Starts Racing Transformed from the top spot on my list for best kart racer.

That's just normal internet lag. Not much you can do about that.

As for registering my game....

Yeah I'm getting the same weird errors. Gave up after 45 minutst. I'll wait a few and if it is still acting up I'll give Nintendo a piece of my mind.

As it is now they might not like what I have to say.

I got the limited edition and I was surprised by the size of the Blue Shell statue, I was expecting in to be tiny. Also got a couple of Nintendo mini-figs because I pre-ordered.

post-27767-0-09356800-1401532176_thumb.jpg

The game has been played almost non-stop all day by the whole family. Definitely one of the best Mario Kart games. The MKTV replays are great, especially when you hold down the B button for slow motion.

I'm about to try to register for the free game game. The kids have decided they want Game and Wario. If it doesn't work I'll try again in a few days.

UPDATE: Registering on Club Nintendo was slow and I had to refresh some of the webpage a few times before it worked, but once I got the download code for the free game and put it into the Wii U eshop it has started to download with no problems. However US customers probably use a different server.

Edited by Amstari

No. Rubber banding has nothing to do with the internet. It's a common practice in racing games, but Mario Kart has been doing it wrong for ages.

http://www.giantbomb.com/rubber-band-ai/3015-35/

I'm referring to the "bug" you mentioned where you hit a character with a shell and then he magically "re-appeared" in front of you. That is internet lag.

I"m well aware of the Rubber Band effect. Mario Kart 64 was real bad about it and one way to remedy it (for one player) was to start a two player game.

I especially like this description in Nintendo's patent.

Another feature of an exemplary illustrative embodiment is to provide a racing game where the final standings are determined based on the results of a plurality of races, in which one or more moving specified objects controlled by a computer can behave as strong rivals for a moving object controlled by a human player throughout a series of races.

I've seen that a lot where one particular character would appear to be "challenging you". Of course I would make not of that and do my best to pick on that character as to reduce their chances of placing high and me winning. So in some ways I would use it to my advantage (Mario Kart for the Wii?). I think that was the one.

In other news I was able to register and get my new game this morning.

Edited by Shannon

I'm referring to the "bug" you mentioned where you hit a character with a shell and then he magically "re-appeared" in front of you. That is internet lag.

Let me clarify. I haven't played online yet. The bug I'm mentioning has nothing to do with internet lag. I'm not sure why you keep assuming that's the case.

Well you did not specify whether you were playing online or offline and since online is a place that something like this would happen that was the assumption I made. After all online is one of the games many options. I left my over the internet mind reader back in another state So thanks for clarifying...

So what is up with the power drifting? They took all of the fun out of it!

Oh and why only one split screen option. I prefer the other one... than the one they stick you with.

Edited by Shannon

In the Mario kart Wii games you would hop (usually B).. wiggle the stick back and forth three or so times, release to get a power boost.

In the new one you just hold down B, release early get a small boost, release later on get a large boost.

It just seems off for some reason.

I'll have to play some more to get back into the "drift" of things.. But it does not seem right.

Edit:

I switched back to a kart and all is well. I was using a bike. It's been a few years since I last played these but it is all beginning to come back to me.

Edited by Shannon

Yeah, I believe it's different for bikes. I've mostly been using the stock cart, and it seems wiggling the stick back and forth allows you to get the second boost faster.

There also seems to be a big emphasis in some of the courses on ramp boosting, basically jumping at the right time off a ramp (be it big or small).

Just picked up Mario Kart 8 tonight (a little gift to myself! :) ). Anyway, I registered the game on Club Nintendo, which unfortunately as others mentioned was quite the ordeal. But it eventually worked.

Anyway, I now have in my 'To Do' queue being able to pick out my free game.

Question: for anyone that's already done this....does anyone know if once you choose which game you want, are you given a code that anyone can use? Or can it only be used on the person's Wii U whose Club Nintendo account registered Mario Kart 8? Basically, I don't think I need the code (I already own Pikmin 3, NSMB:WU and LoZ:WW), but if my Wii U is the only one that now get the game, I guess so be it :(