IGNORED

Draconian (2600)

SpiceWare

For those of you who are interested I just did a complete playthrough of all the levels of Draconian (minus repeats) on last night's ZeroPage Homebrew Livestream on Twitch!

It was definitely extremely challenging and a ton of fun. Enjoy!

Draconian Complete Playthrough (Alpha, Beta, Gamma & Delta)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC7ov4mzYzo

Haha nice, 3 hours... Great footage for weekend "lying in bed slightly drunk but can't sleep" watching! :grin: :thumbsup:

okaymy brain is prepared for 3 hr data upload... if you don't believe me check out my previous post on Atariage where I impersonate a robot. Sober people don't make up stuff like this:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/278165-baby-pac-man/?p=4030372

100mg dyphenyl hydramine

50mg doxylamine succonate

Roughly 6 oz of Sailor Jerry's (94 proof spiced rum)

EDIT: At some point, turned the tablet off and rolled over. Need to rewatch... :P

For those of you who are interested I just did a complete playthrough of all the levels of Draconian (minus repeats) on last night's ZeroPage Homebrew Livestream on Twitch!

Comments after watching the Beta Quadrant playthrough.

Original games were 2K. Largest game released back in the day was Fatal Run at 32K. It was a PAL only game, though an NTSC conversion was made by Thomas Jentzsch.

Addressable space for the 6507 is 8K, not 4K. The lower 4K is used for internal hardware (RIOT, TIA) while upper 4K is used for cartridge. Address Line 12 determines if the 6507 is communicating with internal hardware or the cartridge port.

The DPC+, BUS, and CDF coprocessors don't actually exist. When the Harmony cart was created, drivers were written to emulate the various hardware that implemented bankswitching. One of those drivers emulated the DPC coprocessor used in Pitfall II. Back in 2010 I experimented with DPC on my new Harmony cart. DPC was limited to 8K of game code and 2K of graphic data, so I asked about expanding the abilities of DPC to utilize the additional resources available in the Harmony. That eventually became DPC+. After more experience (ie: having written Space Rocks, Stay Frosty 2, and WIP projects Frantic & Timmy!) we came up with the specs for new coprocessors, BUS and CDF. One of the biggest changes was we streamlined the driver to use less ROM and RAM, which freed up 2K of each for the game (the drivers must be copied into RAM for performance reasons as code running in RAM is 4 times faster than ROM).

Harmony Cart/Melody board has 32K ROM, 8K RAM. For CDF that's divvied up as:

post-3056-0-66802800-1526752554_thumb.png

For comparison, here's the DPC+ layout:

post-3056-0-48888700-1526752973_thumb.png

For Draconian only bank 6 was used for 6507 code, 0-5 are merged into the C code & data space. From the ARM's point of view the 32K is one contiguous address space, so no bankswitching needed for it. I also moved 1344 bytes from Display Data into the C Variables & Stack pool.

Key thing to remember on the higher levels when the enemy missiles become faster than your ship is you can immediately change direction à la TRON while the missiles must bank to turn. Once you get a handle on that you can get behind the enemy missiles and take them out. I find it significantly easier to make quick direction changes with the joystick rather than gamepad.

The Spy Ship makes a number of passes, determined by difficulty level, before triggering a red alert:

• Kids - 4 passes
  • Easy - 3 passes
  • Normal - 2 passes
  • Hard - 1 pass

Sync Pop should work for testing for dropped frames.

Oh no - you missed a couple sectors! Beta has 22 sectors not 20. May not be a big issue though:

• B21 = A17
  • B22 = A16, but with a different starting position.
  • Like 2

Comments after watching Gamma Quadrant playthrough.

You started at sector 4! You did end up playing them all, just on the harder repeats.

The stations in these 9 sectors use the radar to display the initials of key people in the project:

• A = Albert Yarusso
  • N = Nathan Strum
  • C = Chris Walton
  • D = Don Switzer
  • J = Jeff Johnson
  • T = Thomas Jentzsch
  • M = Michael Haas
  • F = Fred Quimby
  • D = Darrell Spice
  • Like 4

Comments after watching Delta Quadrant playthrough.

There are 128 stars that are given a random X position of 0-255 and a random color. Random does mean they can end up in a line, just like you can flip a coin and get heads a large number of times in a row. The Y position is not random - it's star # times 2 so star 0's y=0, star 1's y=2, star 2's y=4, ..., star 127's y = 254.
As such, the stars define a field that's 256x256 in size. The display is 160x160, so not all positions are initially onscreen. The starfield wraps around, so if you keep flying in 1 direction in a sector you'll eventually see the same stars again.
Most of the sectors had names:
post-3056-0-16399400-1526772231.png
Even in the arcade game it's unclear if it's saying Alert! Alert! or Alarm! Alarm! The samples in Draconian are from the arcade, so the ambiguity remains.
Tune was actually fixed in the hotel room. I'd get a bad case of motion sickness if I'd tried to have fixed it in the car :woozy:
Correct, pixels are not 1:1. The Atari's pixel ratio is 12:7. Originally I treated them as 1:1 due to motion judder, but eventually changed that. You can learn more about it in these blog entries:
The missiles are normally pixels that are 1x, 2x, 4x or 8x in size. So you can easily draw a shot going left/right or up/down, but to draw diagonal shots requires the missile's position to be shifted left/right over subsequent scanlines.
Enjoyed the show! Wish I'd caught it live.
  • Like 3

Wow Darrell, thank you for all the additional information about the game and also the how the ARM processor handles the emulation of DPC+, BUS and CDF, it's all incredibly insightful. I've tried to wrap my head around some of that for a while but having all the basics in one spot it what I've been looking for.

Thank you for addressing all the mysteries that we were wondering about as we were playing the game, I think you addressed them all, including the mysterious synchronicity of the starfield's vertical lineup on that one level! Love it!

Also THANK YOU so much for Sync Pop, that's EXACTLY what I was looking for to test out the video encoding and streaming!! This way I can go through frame by frame and see if there are any frame drops and how frequent they are! This is perfect! :-)

Enjoyed the show! Wish I'd caught it live.

Edited by cimmerian

<[clip]>

Comments after watching the Beta Quadrant playthrough.

Addressable space for the 6507 is 8K, not 4K. The lower 4K is used for internal hardware (RIOT, TIA) while upper 4K is used for cartridge. Address Line 12 determines if the 6507 is communicating with internal hardware or the cartridge port.

This is hard for beginners and intermediate to remember.

First because of the incorrect statement that only 4K game code can be accessed by the CPU.

Second, because it is easy to assume 8-bit can access 8K, and the cheaper 6507 CPU can access 4K.

Harmony Cart/Melody board has 32K ROM, 8K RAM.

[clip]

I didn't realize CDF can use the entire 40K, but now it makes sense.

40K is still smaller than most .jpg pictures!

Edited by iesposta

Darrell, where did you get that ratio of 12:7 (~1.71)? My sources say ~1.82, and this is currently used as NTSC default (/2) for Stella.

The footnote on 12:7 in The Return of the Judder refers to the following by EricBall, found in the comments on the Space Rocks blog entry Engage:

The Atari 160 res pixel aspect ratio is 12:7.

Square pixel NTSC (interlaced) has a pixel clock of 12.272727MHz or 780 pixels per line (640 active). For non-interlaced (like the Atari) the square pixel clock would be 6.136364MHz or 390 pixels per line. The Atari pixel clock is the same as colorburst, which is 3.579545MHz or 227.5 pixels per line (actually 228 but the Atari line is longer than a standard TV line). 390:227.5 = 780:455 = 12:7

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’m glad Nathan wanted the arcade sound effects and shot down my suggestion to use explosion sounds.

It would have sounded like this ColecoVision variation version.

Draconian plays way better than this ColecoVision variation.

I’m still amazed Draconian has TIA music better than the 800XL/XE using Pokey, and the computer version has 64K and 128K versions. Draconian is 32K.

https://youtu.be/Wp13GBoXZi0?=6m27s

• Like 1

Just wanted to say draconian is STILL the best 2600 homebrew in this gamers humble opinion

Agreed we have come so far with homebrews and many others that I feel are best also hard to make which the #1 but this is a game I always enjoyed and never thought the 2600 could do Glad I was wrong

• Like 1

Just wanted to say draconian is STILL the best 2600 homebrew in this gamers humble opinion

I just ordered my first set of homebrew games from the AtariAge store: a copy of Draconian (the "no box" version) together with Star Castle Arcade, Wall Jump Ninja and Fall Down.

Can't wait to play these games!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...