IGNORED

Mario Kart 8 pre-order with free digital download and free racing wheel!

I got a ton of nintendo stuff. Wii, wii u. Dsixl and games and never looked into platinum or club nintendo. I dont even know what nintendo points is..

It should be relatively difficult to miss. In every system and game box is a Club Nintendo slip with a code on it. You enter the code on Club Nintendo (you tie your Nintendo ID to the Club Nintendo ID) and earn points for free physical or digital items. The free retail quality game with Mario Kart 8 is unusual, though, as typically it's just points for registering (you also get points for taking surveys and registering pre-orders, etc.). Arguably it's nowhere near as good as PlayStation Plus or Games with Gold, but at least it's something to reward loyal purchasers of Nintendo products.

Arguably it's nowhere near as good as PlayStation Plus or Games with Gold, but at least it's something to reward loyal purchasers of Nintendo products.

Does Playstation Plus reward people with physical items? I've never heard of Sony or Microsoft just shipping out free stuff. Sure you may get free downloads, but Club Nintendo gets you free stuff shipped to your front door.

I got a ton of nintendo stuff. Wii, wii u. Dsixl and games and never looked into platinum or club nintendo. I dont even know what nintendo points is..

You are missing out dude. I just earned Platinum for the 6th strait year. Once it rolls over come July I probably have enough codes stashed away to earn Platinum for next year as well.

Basically how it works is you buy Nintendo games, physical or virtual, and fill out online surveys to get points. For physical games, the codes are included in the retail packaging. For virtual games, you need your Nintendo Network ID and console registered with your Club Nintendo account prior to download, and the points surveys will appear automatically in your "to do" list at Club Nintendo. Points earned can be redeemed for virtual or physical goods. In the case of physical goods, Nintendo of America will ship them to your door free of charge. Points are roughly equivalent to the MSRP price of the games. Typically you get 60 points for Wii-U retail, 50 points for Wii retail, 40 points for 3DS retail, and 10 points for most virtual console and small game downloads (indie games and other non-retail downloads). Retail games can be either disc or download; the point value is the same. Additionally, a post-play survey will appear some amount of time after the game is registered. Post play surveys are worth an additional 10 points. Occasionally there are customer loyalty or bonus surveys, typically worth 30 points. Most surveys have an expiration date where you need to complete the survey before it expires in order to earn points for it.

Club Nintendo exists in parts of north America and Europe, as well as Japan. In North America, earning 300 or more points between July 1st and June 30th of the following year will earn gold status. Earning 600 or more points will earn platinum status. Durning the month of July, eligible elite status members from the previous year are eligible to redeem an exclusive reward. Gold or Platinum rewards are shipped out before the end of the year, again free of charge. I've gotten Platinum every year since the service began in North America.

Club Nintendo of Japan always seems to get the coolest stuff for some reason. PAL territories use stars instead of points for some reason but they follow the same basic principal.

Edited by stardust4ever

Does Playstation Plus reward people with physical items? I've never heard of Sony or Microsoft just shipping out free stuff. Sure you may get free downloads, but Club Nintendo gets you free stuff shipped to your front door.

I think most gamers prefer two free games a month and game discounts to the occasional free physical item of sometimes questionable value (towels, postcards, etc.) shipped to their door.

• Like 2

Wow. Thats crazy. But its all too late as you said it expires after awhile. I also have xbox gold membership that was free. But cant remember where the damn thing went.

Why do they make this all so hard to figure out? I have thousands in nintendo and got zero free ever.

The original Wii is dead. I don't think there are any new releases scheduled to hit (except this?). Although honestly, Nintendo should do another round of Selects titles, and put a new label on it specifically informing people they work on the Wii U. Might get more people to pick some of them up.

There's still a couple of big hits coming out like the next Skylanders game and of course Just Dance. The Wii version continues to sell over a million so you can be sure the cash cow will continue for these two at least (the Wii version continues to sell the most than any other platforms for these 2 titles). Also some movie-tie in games will also be out.

Like Yogi Berra says, "It's never over till it's over."

There were some cool stuff given out over the years including 2 rare physical DS games (from the Game & Watch series), an actual replica game from the Game & Watch series, a Mario hat, t-shirts, tote bags, controller holders, giant Mii AR cards, and a couple of figurines. It's been a lot of fun all for the unbeatable price of free.

Hey I just opened up two games and there are codes in them. My u deluxe can be registered as well? I have mostly online downloaded games with zero codes.

In order to register digital games, you need to sign up for Club Nintendo and then link your console to your Club Nintendo account within the eShop, prior to purchasing the games. I assume you haven't done that yet. Unfortunately, I do not believe it is possible to retroactively register your previously purchased digital games, although I could be wrong.

I only buy retail games on physical discs (though I do download many smaller VC and eShop games not available at retail), and I usually save the codes for future use. Instead of registering the codes as I buy the games like Nintendo expects you to do, I save the codes until it's convenient to redeem them. Buy holding back codes for future use, I've been able to earn platinum every year, even those years when there seems to be a dry spell of games that interest me.

Even if you linked your eShop and Club Nintendo accounts (which you didn't do), you only have limited time to fill out the survey before it expires. Nintendo has caught on to the procrastination game people like to play, for instance hoarding points surveys so they roll over into the next year, so they have shortened the time span that points surveys expire. Registration codes found in retail game cases do not expire, but Nintendo occasionally removes the option to take surveys for old systems or discontinued games. I just redeemed a bunch of my old Wii codes to help earn platinum this year.

There haven't been a lot of good stuff in Club Nintendo lately, so I only try to redeem 600 points per year. The Gold rewards are typically junk like calendars or posters, but the platinum rewards are usually very nice.

Previous Platinum rewards for US:

First year was a Mario hat.

Second year, a Mario Party figurine.

A pin set of 25 pins with sprite art honoring the 25 anniversary of Super Mario Brothers.

A deck of transparent Mario playing cards.

Last year was a Ledgend of Zelda: Majora's Mask soundtrack CD.

2014, who knows? It will be announced early in July.

Hey I just opened up two games and there are codes in them. My u deluxe can be registered as well? I have mostly online downloaded games with zero codes.

Just start registering all the games that comes with club codes into your Nintendo Club account and you'll start racking up coins easy. To register your Wii U system, you have to go into the eShop and somewhere in the options area you'll find the fields to link to your Nintendo Club account.

For DS and Wii games, it's mostly games released by Nintendo that you'll find codes for (some of these older game codes will have expired by now). For the 3DS and Wii U, besides Nintendo games, some 3rd party will include codes as well. Physical or virtual, it's all the same as long as the game is on the list to qualify for coins. Virtual games will link up automatically to your Nintendo Club account because you would have your Nintendo Club information linked into your eShop (the survey pops up automatically).

You just need to make sure you answer the surveys associated with each game (you'll get a starter survey and a follow up survey later) and once you completed each one, the coins will be added.

Everyone here seems aware of the steps so I'm sure everyone will be happy to help if you need help getting your coins. It's pretty straight forward.

Edited by TheGreatPW

There were some cool stuff given out over the years including 2 rare physical DS games (from the Game & Watch series), an actual replica game from the Game & Watch series, a Mario hat, t-shirts, tote bags, controller holders, giant Mii AR cards, and a couple of figurines. It's been a lot of fun all for the unbeatable price of free.

Yeah, I got both DS "Game-n-Watch" games; those are super cool. They were expensive though. Both 800 coins a piece.

I also have an Ocarina of Time Soundtrack as a bonus for registering OOT:3D on launch day in 2011. It complements my Majora's Mask platinum sountrack I got a last year.

Sadly I missed out on the Luigi's Mansion diarama. as I had spent all my coins prior to it's announcement. I believe it was one of the most expensive Club Nintendo items ever at 1200 some-odd points! :P

Wow seems time consuming. To bad it wasnt automatic. I guess maybe on saturday I will do my u and wii games. I am busy with two kids and work so sitiing half the night entering codes and whatnot may never happen.

Yeah, I typically save the codes until I've got some time to kill, then do an entire years worth at once. Sadly, Nintendo is getting stricter on the time limits so a lot of my download titles I've missed. Most of the ones I've downloaded are Indie or VC and only worth ten points anyhow. If you can attain 600 points by June 30th, you'll be eligible for a Platinum reward, which redeemed will be shipped out by years end 2014. What is it? Who knows. the prizes are revealed early in July.

Start with the big items, your consoles. Wii-U and 3DS/3DSxL serials are worth 160 coins each. 2DS and Wii serials I believe are worth 100 points currently. Not sure if you can still fill out surveys for DSi/DSixL or not. You can only register one of each console, but different hardware revisions can be registered separately. For example, you can register a 3DS, 3DSxL, and 2DS separately if members of your family own them.

I would recommend not setting up a Club Nintendo family account with different IDs for each family member. If you do that, you will not be able to combine coin totals for each member. For instance, say you earn 300 points on your account and 300 coins on your wife or child's account, you will only be eligible for two gold rewards. The points balance cannot be combined to redeem Platinum or any other rewards that cost more than 300 coins. On the flip side, it may be possible to link multiple consoles or fill out surveys twice for the same item (for instance, you download a game on two 3DSs) with a family account.

Another thing to keep in mind, coins earned during the year between July 1st to June 30th carry over into the next year. Even if you spend your coins earned, they will still count towards your elite status, so feel free to spend them on stuff. Likewise, coins earned in the previous year do not count towards your Elite status for the current year.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I got both DS "Game-n-Watch" games; those are super cool. They were expensive though. Both 800 coins a piece.

I also have an Ocarina of Time Soundtrack as a bonus for registering OOT:3D on launch day in 2011. It complements my Majora's Mask platinum sountrack I got a last year.

Sadly I missed out on the Luigi's Mansion diarama. as I had spent all my coins prior to it's announcement. I believe it was one of the most expensive Club Nintendo items ever at 1200 some-odd points! :P

If I remember the replica Game & Watch was also 1200 points. Sorry to hear you missed out on the Luigi figurine. We used it to top off a birthday cake and it was the talk of all the kids there.

I would recommend not setting up a Club Nintendo family account with different IDs for each family member. If you do that, you will not be able to combine coin totals for each member. For instance, say you earn 300 points on your account and 300 coins on your wife or child's account, you will only be eligible for two gold rewards. The points balance cannot be combined to redeem Platinum or any other rewards that cost more than 300 coins. On the flip side, it may be possible to link multiple consoles or fill out surveys twice for the same item (for instance, you download a game on two 3DSs) with a family account.

Are you sure about the points not combining for family accounts? I'm pretty sure for the family accounts, all points will go towards the family head account, only that person will be able to claim the end of the year prize. Last time I checked anyway.

The replica Game-N-Watch was a neat idea, but IMO ball was one of the least entertaining games of the series. I wished they did something more gradeur like Super Mario Brothers for the reward. I owned it as a kid and still have it along with 4 others, as well as a later mini keychain rerelease. 9 "loops" of 8 different "worlds" is pretty damn impressive to pull off in an LCD game, and it plays very well. I even made it to World 9-6 once but never beat the 9th loop. There was also a secret warp to skip to loop 3 by holding "jump" button while pressing start. This shortcut made the game much more interesting because you could start playing immediately with Bills and Likatus. Too bad the warp shortcut didn't work on the mini keychain version. Also a pity SMB never got reissued on DSiWare. Either way, I've got the complete collection of 9 DSi releases plus the two exclusive DS games.

@PW To answer your question about family accounts, I never used them but vaguely remember reading the FAQ about it several years ago. It may have changed since then but I do not believe that point totals across all members contributed to Platinum. I could be wrong though.

I do know that if you had say 300 coins on one family member and 300 coins on another, you could not for instance combine the two to redeem a prize worth 600. You'd just be shooting yourself in the foot with a family account preventing you from redeeming expensive prizes. And let's be honest with ourselves. Even as collectors, many of the cheaper prizes are junk. Just compare the Gold to the Platinum rewards for most years going back...

@PW To answer your question about family accounts, I never used them but vaguely remember reading the FAQ about it several years ago. It may have changed since then but I do not believe that point totals across all members contributed to Platinum. I could be wrong though.

I do know that if you had say 300 coins on one family member and 300 coins on another, you could not for instance combine the two to redeem a prize worth 600. You'd just be shooting yourself in the foot with a family account preventing you from redeeming expensive prizes. And let's be honest with ourselves. Even as collectors, many of the cheaper prizes are junk. Just compare the Gold to the Platinum rewards for most years going back...

I'm pretty sure there's some misunderstanding somewhere about how family points works. I've been using it for the whole family since it's started and all points go into one bank for the entire family to use.

Each member must accept an e-mail that will link them to the family account. That's the whole point of having a family account. So the family can rack up points quickly.

Here's the link to the FAQ:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2106/p/52

The replica Game-N-Watch was a neat idea, but IMO ball was one of the least entertaining games of the series. I wished they did something more gradeur like Super Mario Brothers for the reward. I owned it as a kid and still have it along with 4 others, as well as a later mini keychain rerelease. 9 "loops" of 8 different "worlds" is pretty damn impressive to pull off in an LCD game, and it plays very well. I even made it to World 9-6 once but never beat the 9th loop. There was also a secret warp to skip to loop 3 by holding "jump" button while pressing start. This shortcut made the game much more interesting because you could start playing immediately with Bills and Likatus. Too bad the warp shortcut didn't work on the mini keychain version. Also a pity SMB never got reissued on DSiWare. Either way, I've got the complete collection of 9 DSi releases plus the two exclusive DS games.

You never what future prizes will bring :-). We generally check a couple of times a month to see what's been added.

Hey guys. Well I played my Windwaker free download MK8 promo for the first time tonight. Not a bad little game, but it just doesn't feel like Zelda somehow. Maybe I should kind of stop comparing it to LoZ OOT 3D and LoZ The Link Between Worlds 3DS. Don't get me wrong; I do like it. Lots of experiments during the Game Cube years. It's kind of like how Mario Sunshine had completely different mechanics to any Mario game but was still awesome.

My redemption code for Wind Waker is giving me an error. Even took a screenshot of the code in the Club Nintendo site, but the Wii U eShop isn't recognizing it as valid. Tried replacing 0's with O's just in case, but it says it doesn't use that letter.

So the code has to be right...

[Edit: I must be tired, I just checked it for about the 4th time now and realized I had the first letter of it wrong.]

Edited by Atariboy

• 3 months later...

Since we talked about Nintendo Club here; anyone disappointed at the all downloads for the annual rewards this year? What a shame they listened to the owners that only wants games. I usually go with the collectible. I hope they give at least one collectible choice next year.

Don't bet on it. Physical shit is awesome. Digital downloads were just a slap in the face, and not even good ones like with the MK8 promotion.

I also eBay'ed the Yoshi Apple plushie from China, because somehow I just knew we wouldn't be getting one here. :sad:

http://www.destructoid.com/cute-yoshi-plush-added-to-club-nintendo-in-japan-278228.phtml

278228-h1.jpg

Cost me $9.25 w/ free shipping...

Edited by stardust4ever

Just bought Wind Waker HD for $20 new. Wish I had listened to my instincts with my Mario Kart 8 free download since I had no doubt I'd grab this on disc eventually, but I couldn't resist.

I just figured it would be a couple of more years before I ever saw a deal on it like this one.