IGNORED

30th anniversary 7800 MultI Cart #1

atari181

I got my cart yesterday and popped it in this morning. It's a really cool cart. I did a few rounds of Joust, Xevious and DK without issue. Then I selected Choplifter and the game boots fine but after playing for a few seconds the graphics get weird (see pic).

I've tried powering down and reseating the cart to no avail. I then tried it in my spare 7800 and it seemed to work. Both 7800s have the LHE mod. My regular copy of Choplifter works fine on both. The 7800 with the issue is a later model SN 72R4BRX208.

I'm thinking that some 7800s may have a compatibility issue. Has anyone else experienced a graphics glitch with Choplifter?

post-26371-0-07064300-1400349227_thumb.jpg

This happened to Trebor as well, there are also a couple reports of Xevious not working. I may have been ripped off on the EPROM's and if that is the case, 25 of them. :mad:

Interesting that it works on another 7800, also puzzling. :?

@atariLBC: does the problem follow the power supply if you swap it?

My spare unit was in the garage on an old CRT. I just brought it into the house and tried it using the same power supply and s-video as my main unit. The spare is still working flawlessly. The SN on my spare is A1885425510. Gremlins?

I'm going to cycle through the rest of the games to see if I can find any other issues/anomalies.

I got my cart yesterday and popped it in this morning. It's a really cool cart. I did a few rounds of Joust, Xevious and DK without issue. Then I selected Choplifter and the game boots fine but after playing for a few seconds the graphics get weird (see pic).

I've tried powering down and reseating the cart to no avail. I then tried it in my spare 7800 and it seemed to work. Both 7800s have the LHE mod. My regular copy of Choplifter works fine on both. The 7800 with the issue is a later model SN 72R4BRX208.

I'm thinking that some 7800s may have a compatibility issue. Has anyone else experienced a graphics glitch with Choplifter?

I think I remember a similar problem with a choplifter cart I had. Glitched like that on one 7800 system but fine on others. I thought it was certain revisions of the boards on the 7800's that were the problem but I don't remember.

This happened to Trebor as well, there are also a couple reports of Xevious not working. I may have been ripped off on the EPROM's and if that is the case, 25 of them. :mad:

Could this then be a problem with the PMP compilations you're working on too or is that a different batch?

I am not working on the PMP compilation yet, need to find some underpant gnomes that can magically produce cartridge shells first. But I did order the EPROM's, but they are from a different distributor and they are also not the same size EPROM's.

• Like 1

I think I remember a similar problem with a choplifter cart I had. Glitched like that on one 7800 system but fine on others. I thought it was certain revisions of the boards on the 7800's that were the problem but I don't remember.

It seems that there isn't a consensus on what the issue is but that others have experienced it on their 7800s and in emulation. I'm thinking that this may be a compatibility issue with this 7800 revision and/or particular unit. It will be interesting to see if others have a similar problem with the multicart version. Since I have a copy of the game that works on both of my units, I don't mind.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/118045-choplifter-graphical-glitch/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/55943-help/page-2?hl=choplifter

Edited by atariLBC

Just went through all the games on my cart:

Choplifter - glitches as soon as the joystick is moved right as shown in a previous post

Xevious - Colorful glitch screen with loud noise (see picture)

(Both of my stand alone carts of those games work fine.)

Other games all seem to work.

(pre-edit mention of Mario Bros and Kung Fu Master seemed to be issue with video cable getting knocked out of place as both seem to be working now for me)

post-21248-0-62668200-1400358241_thumb.jpg

Choplifter seems to be touchy timing wise. I've noticed this in the past. I don't remember ever seeing an issue with Xevious though.

I'll have to test my cart with a few different 7800s tonight.

Mitch

It seems that there isn't a consensus on what the issue is but that others have experienced it on their 7800s and in emulation. I'm thinking that this may be a compatibility issue with this 7800 revision and/or particular unit. It will be interesting to see if others have a similar problem with the multicart version. Since I have a copy of the game that works on both of my units, I don't mind.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/118045-choplifter-graphical-glitch/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/55943-help/page-2?hl=choplifter

My "good" unit, LHE AV modded, Serial A1 87 5395875 -iesposta :

Choplifter. Scrambled graphics after start.

Kung Fu Master is ok.

No Xevious, black screen.

Mario Bros. is ok.

Choplifter seems to be touchy timing wise. I've noticed this in the past. I don't remember ever seeing an issue with Xevious though.

I'll have to test my cart with a few different 7800s tonight.

Mitch

I had that issue with a single Choplifter cart- I buoght a new cart and it 'fixed' the issue- I think the post is around somewhere- The length of time before it corrupted verried with the amount of time the upit was on- also the title screen looked ok but was the wrong color (blue vs green)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/55943-help/?hl=%2Bchoplifter&do=findComment&comment=682130

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/171421-choplifter-glitch/?hl=%2Bchoplifter&do=findComment&comment=2128227

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/118045-choplifter-graphical-glitch/?hl=%2Bchoplifter&do=findComment&comment=1426785

I have a "bad" 7800, that works just fine, except 2 Homebrews so far fail on it. Beef Drop and Scramble.

It is the last model made with serial numbers starting with X.

So far, no one has confirmed or denied Beef Drop or Scramble working on a serial X 7800.

I'll have to check Xevious and Choplifter on that.

I can also check both 7800s with a Xevious cart I got recently.

I have a "bad" 7800, that works just fine, except 2 Homebrews so far fail on it. Beef Drop and Scramble.

So far, no one has confirmed or denied Beef Drop or Scramble working on a serial X 7800.

I would also be interested in what the result of uploading it to the MCP DevCart does for you, when you test it tomorrow. :)

"Bad" 7800, same multi-cart behavior.

Choplifter graphics go bad.

Xevious black screen.

For your info.

I love my Multicart!

Did Yurkie sell you those EPROM's?

• Like 3

How many shells do u need and what do I do with the cart inners?

There is no plan to make any more of these, if you are referring to this project.

How many shells do I need? All of them, unless they are crappy looking and have paint, scratches and marker all over them. Bob's project is going to be the #1 priority, when I get all the parts and enough time to make that many, this stuff is time consuming, people always forget that. Probably because Albert has elves working for him.

• Like 1