IGNORED

Finally modded a flashback 2

I've always wanted to mod a flashback 2, even though I have an S-Video modded heavy sixer with a harmony cart, it's still been a goal of mine. I actually bought my first soldering iron with the goal of modding one years ago when the flashback 2's were new. I've broken 2 to date trying to mod them. Well years later and with a lot better of soldering equipment and years of skills I finally did it!

I was at the flea market and ran across a flashback 2 new in the box for $25, and got it for $20. Even if I broke this one, it was worth it just for the controllers. Well just an hour or 2 after getting home with it, I was using my harmony cart on it. Nothing pretty yet, I still have to drill a hole for the cart slot in the case and for the switch to use the built in games, but it still feels great.

So this is my come-back to Atari after my hiatus

• Like 3

I love reading about hardware projects.

I just had mine out yesterday. Some connection is bad because I need to push back on the cart to make it run.

I played the built-in Millipede (cart does not work as it has Superchip RAM).

My Flappy (link) game works from Harmony with a strange white pixel floating above the buildings.

I was surprised to find out that PacMan 4K cart does not work. Pac's player graphics are scrambled. Maybe illegal opcodes, I can't remember if the Flashback 2 deals with them or not.

• 5 months later...

Might not ever. But just out of curiosity what did it coast you mode the fb2 with a card slot?

I did very little coasting on my mod - pump that gas inland dude :D

I got a broken mainboard (free) from a member and de-soldered the port myself. Best Electronics has them, but they have like a $20 minimum purchase.

First thing I would do would be to put a post in the WTB section of the marketplace for a broken 2600 or for the cart port and guide. Someone may have one they'll just send you.

You need some small gauge wire which is often easily found free. One source would be telephone wire, but most people have used old IDE cables.

As for the FB 2 itself. Those things can be found easily for under $30. They show up on my local Craigslist all the time for as low as $10.

You need a soldering pencil and a $0.15 switch. A power drill and some glue will also be essential. The drill might be an expensive purchase for this project, but if you don't have a power drill already then you should get one.