IGNORED

Jaguar CD-R's

Paul Westphal

In my experience, and apparently it also happens on the 3do, sometimes one of the official atari release CDs need to be put first and loaded for a couple minutes for the CD player to be able to read a burned disc. I guess the cd laser needs to be warmed up or something. I noticed it happens more when the weather is colder.

Edited by JagChris

Hello,

First of all use the thick cd's there are cheap thinner ones you can almost see thru them they give issues.

The best CD-R is low speed when you could still buy them 1x,2x and 4x

Burning at the lowest speed prefered 1x or 2x when you compare the burned area from a CD with 1x with one 10x or higher you see a real difference. I kept some old CD burners that could burn low speed. The issue is that some CD-R can not be burned lower then 10x or so...

All mine CD's I burned work great mostly Silver CD-R, buy good Brand CD-R no anonymouse these are also bad...

The reason JagCDs are so picky is that they don't use cooked sectors. If you've ever looked at the CD code for the Jag, they use raw sectors which rely on the base CD error detection (and minor correction) just like CDDA audio. This does allow for more storage on a CD, which Atari plugged every chance they got, but made CDs more likely to fail. Note that the PSX used the same mode for video data, but standard ISO on cooked tracks for the code/data for the game. Using raw mode instead of cooked for video/audio is fine since a minor glitch in that data isn't fatal. You see or hear a glitch and then it's fine. If that glitch were in the program code or data, you'd see/hear a crash as the program failed. :)

• Like 1

The reason JagCDs are so picky is that they don't use cooked sectors. If you've ever looked at the CD code for the Jag, they use raw sectors which rely on the base CD error detection (and minor correction) just like CDDA audio. This does allow for more storage on a CD, which Atari plugged every chance they got, but made CDs more likely to fail. Note that the PSX used the same mode for video data, but standard ISO on cooked tracks for the code/data for the game. Using raw mode instead of cooked for video/audio is fine since a minor glitch in that data isn't fatal. You see or hear a glitch and then it's fine. If that glitch were in the program code or data, you'd see/hear a crash as the program failed. :)

Does this mean someone could "simply" write their own i/o routines to account for standard sector sizes and better error correction?

For the fixed version of SoulStar I wrote all the game data tracks (not the vids) out to the CD twice, and kept a CRC of each one. If the track loaded failed a CRC test I swapped to the alternate track and loaded it again. This cut down on game crashes considerably.

It 'pissed away' about 200 bytes. Error correction and recovery is never 'pissing away' memory.

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 4

Does this mean someone could "simply" write their own i/o routines to account for standard sector sizes and better error correction?

Yes. There's a library for *nix that will take raw CD data and do all the error detection/correction to give you cooked sectors. Then ISO9660 + Joliet extensions is super easy to do. I do my own ISO9660+ code on my SegaCD demos, and it's tiny the amount of code you need. The library to do CD error correction isn't that big either. It would certainly make creating homebrew CD easier. :)

I used several brands of CD-R and eventually is using Verbatim CD, not because of a supposed better quality than other brands but just because they are the only printable CD-R I can find.

Since the laser transport has been replaced by a brand new one, my Jag CD is reading so far any CD-R I give it, whatever the brand is.

Now, I wasted a lot of CD-R by trying to burn homebrews which were not in the accurate format and sometimes the burning with Disc juggler just fail (I am using a Windows session on a Mac so i suppose it increase the risk of crash).

Last but not least: my son scratched my World Tour Racing CD and the game was crashing just after the intro movie :(

I used a Skip Doctor to fix it: now the CD looks uglier than before with lot of radial stripes but the Jag CD is reading it again without any error and despite its poor condition.

After reading others experiences, I start feeling myself lucky and pray for my Jag CD to continue to work well for long.

Edited by Felyx
  • Like 1

Orion_ recently released some source code to handle the JagCD, maybe he could include error correction if it's not already done :)

I checked it out - it uses raw sectors as well. He does a nice job of giving you something to work with... you take all your data files and make them into one file that is burned as a track. Then you read files by simply reading the track, but skipping the first N bytes to where the file you want it. Kinda like a ROM filesys, but on a CD with raw sectors.

• Like 1

remember that, using ISO9660 on JagCD will only work in developer mode (i.e BJL), it will never work with the JagCD encryption/boot process.

the JagCD bios need a 2 session Audio CD with at least one audio track on session 1, and 2 audio track on session 2, one is the boot program and require the ATRI/ATARI APROVED DATA HEADER, and the last track needs to be the encryption hash table

I'm even wondering if not ALL audio track on the session 2 needs the "ATRI" header for the encryption/boot process, in that case, this will invalidate the ISO9660 format.

so, even if you insert an ISO9660 image in here, just for the beauty of it, it won't be readable as such by a PC, so this is useless

Edited by Orion_
  • Like 2