IGNORED

Intellivision fantasy sports idea

The highlighted colour of the sprites is defined dynamically, based on the team's colour. This is done by setting the "high-color" bit. Take a look at the colour palette of the Intellivision to see how the colours are chosen:

X_BLK   QEQU    $0              ; Black
X_BLU   QEQU    $1              ; Blue
X_RED   QEQU    $2              ; Red
X_TAN   QEQU    $3              ; Tan
X_DGR   QEQU    $4              ; Dark Green
X_GRN   QEQU    $5              ; Green
X_YEL   QEQU    $6              ; Yellow
X_WHT   QEQU    $7              ; White
X_GRY   QEQU    $1000           ; Grey
X_CYN   QEQU    $1001           ; Cyan
X_ORG   QEQU    $1002           ; Orange
X_BRN   QEQU    $1003           ; Brown
X_PNK   QEQU    $1004           ; Pink
X_LBL   QEQU    $1005           ; Light Blue
X_YGR   QEQU    $1006           ; Yellow-Green
X_PUR   QEQU    $1007           ; Purple

As you can see, the colours above $1000 are intended to be complements of their lower counter parts. For instance, Blue and Cyan, Red and Orange, Tan and Brown, etc. However, not all of them are perfectly complementary, so you need to be careful which ones to select.

If what you want is to hard-code the highlighted colour to a specific value, that will require additional analysis to determine what code needs to change and where. My guess is that it'll be a more invasive change, since it will involve multiple instances of "AND" or "XOR" operations replaced by constant assignments.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Can't you replace the dynamic code with the pre-set values?

When the base color is black, the highlighted color is grey, so I am cool with that, black/grey would always be the visitor colors.

And I'm just looking to do a 3 letter score display next to the score, similar to MLB, not a whole team name.

I was hoping to be able to control the player colors in an emulator, but that's not possible it seems. Nostalgia 3's color changing is inconsistent, and the others don't seem to have that capability. So there is going to have to be two colors hardcoded for each team.

Can't you replace the dynamic code with the pre-set values?

I haven't looked at it yet, but I can imagine that selecting the highlight colour dynamically could be a one- or two-word instruction, while a constant assignment is a three-word instruction. Also, it requires some digging to find where the change is done.

When the base color is black, the highlighted color is grey, so I am cool with that, black/grey would always be the visitor colors.

And I'm just looking to do a 3 letter score display next to the score, similar to MLB, not a whole team name.

Like I said above, you have two characters available on the first row for each team (take a look at the screenshot above). That is, unless you change the scores themselves to two-digit numbers.

I was hoping to be able to control the player colors in an emulator, but that's not possible it seems. Nostalgia 3's color changing is inconsistent, and the others don't seem to have that capability. So there is going to have to be two colors hardcoded for each team.

I don't understand what you mean. You could add some more code to the game that allowed you to select which colours to use. Otherwise, you'll have to hard-code the values and re-assemble on every team change.

-dZ.

OK, I think moving the status message down should be very easy: just change the starting BTAB address sent to the PRINT routine. You can see in the source I provided that I encapsulated this routine and renamed it "PRINT_MSG."

Then, we can move the scores a bit inwards, toward the center, and have space for the team names. How do you want to layout the team names, like this?

HOME 000                  000 VSTR
That's the easiest. Or do you have something else in mind?

Is it possible to set the fielder's color to calculate the desired highlighted color, but actually hardcode a different fielder color when the call is made? For example:

C_TEAM_VSTR EQU COLOR_Blue
Sets highlighted control to Cyan, but...

MVII #$0002, R0
Sets the fielder to red. Basically fool it.