IGNORED

Re-directing Disk Controller DSR For Supercart Loader

sjt

I'm trying to re- direct disk access from DSK1 on an assembled EA5 program.

The program catalogs (DSK1) [uTIL1] and then passes a file selection to a loader [load1] that loads the >6000 space (supercart ram)

I have been able to redirect the loader to load from DSK2 for example.

And I have redirected the selection on the cataloging program to select the loader on DSK2.

That was done using a Hex editor and simply changing the obvious calls to DSk1.

But the cataloging program which is named util1 which was meant to be called from the editor assembler. By selecting option 5 and enter it launches the (UTIL1) program, In turn it catalogs dsk1, offering menu selections designated with letters abc...etc

Making a selection from the disk catalog causes the Load program to load that file into the >6000 space.

I can not figure out how to place all the files on say DSK2 have it it work correctly.

Somehow the UTIL catalog program reads DSk1 , though there are now NO obvious calls to DSK1 after it has been edited.

I couldn't find a disassembler, to try and shed some light on how this is done.

Anyone out there addressed something like this before?

Does the floppy controller dsr default to DSk1 access? unless directed otherwise?

Of course , if someone out there has the source for these programs it would make this much easier.

Edited by sjt

I'm trying to re- direct disk access from DSK1 on an assembled EA5 program.

The program catalogs (DSK1) [uTIL1] and then passes a file selection to a loader [load1] that loads the >6000 space (supercart ram)

I have been able to redirect the loader to load from DSK2 for example.

And I have redirected the selection on the cataloging program to select the loader on DSK2.

That was done using a Hex editor and simply changing the obvious calls to DSk1.

But the cataloging program which is named util1 which was meant to be called from the editor assembler, and by selecting option 5 and enter it launches the (UTIL1) program, In turn it catalogs dsk1, offering menu selections designated with letters abc...etc

Making a selection from the disk catalog causes the Load program to load that file into the >6000 space.

I can not figure out how to place all the files on say DSK2 have it it work correctly.

Somehow the UTIL catalog program reads DSk1 , though there are now NO obvious calls to DSK1 after it has been edited.

I'm attaching the TIdisk here.

The disk includes a altered UTIL program edited to DSK2. The load program is the original, set for DSK1, both util programs will still read DSK1

I couldn't find a disassembler, to try and shed some light on how this is done.

Anyone out there addressed something like this before?

Does the floppy controller dsr default to DSk1 access? unless directed otherwise?

Of course , if someone out there has the source for these programs it would make this much easier.

The program most likely uses direct sector IO to accomplish the catalog task. If the programmer set the disk number separately from the DSK1. path you found, then it will require dissassembly or debugging to identify the memory location holding the drive ID. Sometimes programmers place these values at the start of the program for later hex editing. Try searching for hex "0110" which is the PAB for direct IO. Then look a few bytes before or after this value for a "01" and try changing it to a "02". This is a very hit/miss proposition but it doesn't hurt to look. I would disassemble the program if I wasn't traveling right now :)

• Like 1

Done!!!

Thank You...

You were 100% correct. It was at the program start.

I can now alter it to run from where I want it to.

Including off of a ramdisk.

I just finished a supercart to play with.

post-38705-0-89859700-1400878399_thumb.jpg

Steve

post-38705-0-43878400-1401162471_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjt
  • Like 2

If anyone out there has a supercart, or wants to build one, this is a great utility.

i uploaded a altered loader disk here that has additional patched files that will allow the SUPERCART

loader to be moved to DSK2. Once on DSK2 , all files will be scanned there, cataloged and made available to load into a SUPERCART.

The original program was written by Robert Jones. (Anyone have contact info?)

I think the loader may be Barry Boone's?

At this moment I don't know how many files can be cataloged by the program.

This could also be moved to other drives as well with file program edits.

The loadable cartridge program files are (33sectors) in size, they are raw 8K rom cartridge bin files.

They can be any program that has been written to run from that cartridge block of memory at >6000

I added a RUN Program selection to a horizons ramdisk menu to load it with one keystroke.

SUPERCART1.ZIP

• Like 1