IGNORED

CENTRON 3D - Title Screen Shot

rpc_games

Here at Cosine Systems PLC I have two employees... well okay, they're cats but it's the same thing and the issues we have about them not actually doing any programming or having to be let out for toilet breaks because they can't work a door handle are the same as publishers had with some of their staff in the 1980s as well so close enough.

Well I trump you on employee's, I have 5 +2 part timers.

I circumvented the old just need to use the toilet ploy by installing a cat litter tray.

The trouble is that they never write anything, all this put a load of monkeys with type writers together and they will eventually write the collective works of Shakespeare does not seem to apply to cats. Not had a single command typed in years!!

Mind you as you eluded to, back in the day ZZap boys spent most of their time with the programmers down the pub getting totally wasted. I remember the article they did with Stavros aka Sanxion man and basically all the article had was how much bear eyc they drank down the pub and back at their home where they put him up and how many times he was sick in the sink :)

Very productive..

It's a pitty I am so "young". Would have been amazing to work in Video Game buz in the 80s.

Not only because of all teh weed smooking at Atari :P

"Back then" YOU wrote a game, not you and 20 others.

EDIT:

to be clear, not that much money as one earns in a real job, I am not drunk :)

All the weed??

Jeff Minter took care of that department all alone :)

It still stuns me that people make any money from the old machines but they do, its not a lot but it can be done and the best of luck to them as long as they realise what a fair price is. Choosing carts is safe but must eat in to the margins somewhat hence I've always held out for disk and digital.

Fair play to all doing it and a huge round of applause for those that do it for free...

Arsantica Team had 7 or 8 "employees" and "freelancers" of Desire PLC... ;)

making money by ancient software will be hard. Retro works but in combination with hardware (carts) or selling hardware (see Amiga carts etc). but for living?

Well that is (I think) their goal. They are working on some kind of retro-PC, and ofcourse they want to sell (their own) software for that too.

@PROWIZARD: Are you talking about the RetroPC1010 personal computer gaming system? www.retropc.com.au

Yes, this is one of our other projects we are working on.

@HEAVEN/TQA: It's not about the money, it's about keeping our Loved Atari computers alive and designing new

software for a 20 year old computer. I miss that feeling of walking into a computer store with Atari's, commodore 64's, Apple IIe's

BBC Micro's, Amstrads, Sinclair Spectrums, Sega SC3000H and I remember a Comx35 their as well. I also remember the sales

person not knowing much about the computers. I probably knew more about the computers than he did. :)

We probably will never have that type of feeling again so the best thing to do is just write new software for our Loved computers

and keep that feeling alive.

Pete

manager

RPC-Games!

• Like 3

I suddenly got this feeling:

@rpcgames

Is there probably a slight chance that the game you are developing is actually only flicker-free on your own created retro PC hardware?

Will this be a appetizer to buy your hardware?

Perhaps an evil thought of me… but that's me :evil: :evil: :evil:

• Like 2

@ Prowizard: The RetroPC1010 is a totally different machine. See here www.retropc.com.au

We are writing a game for it at the moment for when the machine is released, hopefully at the end of the year.

Our game will be bundled with the RetroPC1010 Personal Gaming System and if you want to purchase a system and start writing software for it

then I totally encourage you to do so when it's released. It's a totally new machine and I've heard that theirs a few software houses writing software for it today.

Just check out the hardware specs on the website. 24bit hardware sprites, hardware scrolling and lots more. Check it out.

We are predicting that this machine will boom world wide just like the Commodore 64 and Atari systems did

back in the 80's but without Jack Trameil :) So if you want to be a part of it, check it out.

@ Rybags: Centron 3D is being developed using an Atari 800XL, 130XE, 1x XF551 and 2x 1050 Disk Drives

and using 2x 22" LCD TV's - flicker free. We were using a Commodore 1084 CRT monitor at the beginning

of the project but that died about 1 week of usage so we had to use LCD TV's instead.

The Commodore CRT monitor was just too old. We only have LCD TV's now to complete Centron 3D and

there's no flicker with this type of TV. We've shaded most of the graphics to minimise flicker for CRT users.

On the Commodore CRT monitor their was a little flicker but the game was totally playable.

All is going good with Centron 3D and probably another 2 weeks and Centron 3D should be completed.

Cheers :)

Pete

Manager

RPC-Games!

• Like 4

We are predicting that this machine will boom world wide just like the Commodore 64 and Atari systems did

back in the 80's but without Jack Trameil :) So if you want to be a part of it, check it out.

Uh, where can I buy the stuff you smoked ;-)

• Like 5

Looked on the site and says it comes with utilities "written from the ground up" but when you go to the user library only one of all the sections has anything in and that's the game section where there's one game announced. Looked on the facebook page and the last update was 27/03/2013?

Looks dead in the water??

Just saying that's what it looks like..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

@ Sniklin: Yeah, I know :) hehehehehe :) I don't know if their will be a C compiler but I do

know there is a BASIC compiler. I'll have a chat with them and ask. We could have an

Atari Emulator for the RetroPC1010, so you could rewrite all the Atari 8 bit games on

the RetroPC1010 in MoveOS BASIC and then compile the code. That's worth thinkin about.

Maybe some $ involved too.

@McLaneinc: hehehe no no no no, I can assure you it's not dead. Quite opposite in fact.

The OS (MoveOS2.1) is still being written and the hardware is being tested at the moment so

the website is least of their worries right now. If you read on their website they had a change

a microcontroller due to poor support from the manufacturer so some routines in MoveOS2.1

has to be rewritten to take advantage of the full speed of the new microcontroller.

So a huge delay is at hand at the moment and they are looking to launch at the end of

the year or early next year.

We already have the hardware details, memory maps etc, so that's how we can already

begin our first game for the RetroPC1010. Called Runner. Type of Skate or Die game.

I say now, I'm having the feeling of writing new software for the RetroPC1010 as I did

when I bought my first Atari800XL back in 1980 something :). I Feel like a kid again :)

Pete

Manager

RPC-Games!

• Like 1

To me, a C compiler is central to everything, so yeah, if you can get one onto your machines that would be beneficial.

C compiler is for pussies, asm all the way ! ;)

As working with new microcontroller means learning new assembly instructions, I wouldn't mind if it had 6502 emulator ;)

• Like 2