IGNORED

One button controlled games

I'm looking for examples of one-button controlled games. E.g. things like Blitz on the VIC-20, or more recently flash games like Canabalt, or even the notorious Flappy Bird.

I'm thinking of making a compilation of these type of games for the Vectrex. I've almost finished a Flappy Bird de-make and it didn't take long to write, so it got me thinking of other simple single-button games.

Any ideas?

Star Trigon (by Namco) is one. You slingshot from planet to planet, drawing lines behind you which can be used to contain and capture small space moles. Jetpack Joyride is another, where you run for as long as possible with a stolen jetpack. You control the jetpack with taps of the touchscreen, giving you a remarkable level of control for such limited input.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the OP must have meant one button and nothing else: i.e. no joystick.

Don't some of the games on Air-Sea Battle play that way?

[Edit]: I think I was thinking of Canyon Bomber

I have an arcade machine called "Bombs Away" from 1976 that has just one button.

Edited by BigO

SpeedSki (VIC-20) by Dub Scroggin is played in a such way the skier always is moving to the right, unless you hold down a button which makes him move to the left. When you release the button, the skier resumes moving to the right.

http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue38/026_1_SPEED_SKI.php

I'm sure you could come up with more games with more or less convoluted steering, e.g. a Frogger clone where a short tap on the button moves the frog forwards. If you hold the button for a second, a marker will alternate between left or right, and you release the button to move sideways. It would hamper the game speed though, unless holding down the button makes everything else stop. I suppose your motivation for one button games (no joystick) is to make them easier to play for people who are not used to or capable of handling both a stick and button(s) at once, so a convoluted method of steering with just a button might be counter-intuitive.

Edited by carlsson

http://www.onebuttongames.com/games/10/nano-ninja.html

This website is dedicated to one button games. I thought this game was very interesting where the button did different things depending on the level. It throws a star, it makes you float, it holds you in place, makes you jump, etc.

Space is the key was a little different too.

That "Space Is the Key" reminded me a lot of Sears Steeplechase for the 2600 (except, of course, you don't set the jump height with the paddle).

• 2 years later...

Sharp Shot on Intellivision.

BTW a thread like this could be a great resource for disabled gamers; I'm sure there are other resources out there already, but probably none geared towards older games.

The Sharp Shot games were meant to be played with no buttons and voice activation. They were programmed for a tv gameshow called TV Powww where callers scream into their telephone to play for prizes. The Intellivisions at the TV studios had to be modifed for voice activation.