IGNORED

How to Convert ATASCII Text Files to ASCII?

Yeah, 64 bit is the problem there, no 16 bit apps will run under a 64 bit Windows OS without a third party emulator that you have to wrangle with some I imagine. 7 was the last of optional bit width Windows, 8 only comes in the 64 bit flavor.

Thanks for the heads up on that bug, James. I saw that feature in there, but hadn't tried it out yet. I'll just make other plans now and save myself some grief.

Incorrect about 8 only in 64-bit.

I too am a big fan of Notepad++. Have you found a way, easy or otherwise to make some kind of translation profile for it to handle ATASCII?

Two ways I use. One, is via the "HexEdit" plugin. For ATASCII to ASCII I do a search&replace of 9B to 0D 0A, and the reverse to go back. If you don't want the plugin, it's easy enough to highlight the single character which shows as the Atari's EOL, then hit CTRL+H to bring up the replace window. Replace that using \r\n, making sure that the Extended search mode is used.

Two ways I use. One, is via the "HexEdit" plugin. For ATASCII to ASCII I do a search&replace of 9B to 0D 0A, and the reverse to go back. If you don't want the plugin, it's easy enough to highlight the single character which shows as the Atari's EOL, then hit CTRL+H to bring up the replace window. Replace that using \r\n, making sure that the Extended search mode is used.

I already have a a hex editor plugin for it. I didn't realize you did a semi manual process of search and replace. I was hoping for a way to "teach" Notepad++ about ATASCII like it knows about Linux, Windows, and Mac text files. It was something I thought about researching and maybe putting the effort into. Then I got to thinking that it might be a cool programming project to make an app in Python to do it. I have already made an Action program to do it in the past, but I want a PC type app to do it. Even better if it were in GUI form and used a toolkit which made it portable. But I'm a complete newb Python programmer and haven't a clue how to make a GUI app, especially one which could run on Linux, Mac and Win. I would settle for just Win at first.

• 7 months later...

In case it is of interest to anyone reading this thread, there is now an OS X version of AtasciiView

AV.png

Currently Intel Mac only, and only tested on Mavericks. Mark Simonson's fonts must be downloaded separately from here.

I have noticed that AtasciiView for windows PC doesn't display any of the Attascii characters 00-31 (00-$1F) when Smooth or Extra-Smooth font (TTF) created by Mark Simonson. It displays the built in Default (Bitmap) font instead.
Thus, the look of the said Atascii characters looks chunky and different than the TTF smoothed ones.
At the beginning, I thought that it is the TTF that was corrupted. So, I contacted Mr. Mark Simonson (creator of the TTFonts) and he informed me that it is more likely to be a bug in the AtasciiView program itself.
The inverse graphical characters 128-159 ($80-$9F) are displayed smooth and not like the non inverted ones.
Note: Could not contact Mr. Lee Hanken as he did not post any contact address on his site.
I hope he see this post and fix the great program.
madi
post-37046-0-09267300-1443826580_thumb.png post-37046-0-04323100-1443826612_thumb.png
Edited by Madi
  • Like 1

I have noticed that AtasciiView for windows PC doesn't display any of the Attascii characters 00-31 (00-$1F) when Smooth or Extra-Smooth font (TTF) created by Mark Simonson. It displays the built in Default (Bitmap) font instead.
Thus, the look of the said Atascii characters looks chunky and different than the TTF smoothed ones.
At the beginning, I thought that it is the TTF that was corrupted. So, I contacted Mr. Mark Simonson (creator of the TTFonts) and he informed me that it is more likely to be a bug in the AtasciiView program itself.
The inverse graphical characters 128-159 ($80-$9F) are displayed smooth and not like the non inverted ones.
Note: Could not contact Mr. Lee Hanken as he did not post any contact address on his site.
I hope he see this post and fix the great program.
madi

Hi, this is a known bug with the Windows version which was written over ten years ago. Thanks for this, it is a great explanation of the issue. I think at the time I did not know how to map the characters below ascii code 32 to the correct truetype character, so deliberately had them fall back to the bitmap version.

I will certainly try to fix it if I ever find the source code and set up a development environment again.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for a program for Windows (or the commadn line) that will convert ATASCII text files to ASCII. Mostly what I'm concerned with are carriage returns and line-feeds (and maybe tabs?). I want to edit and print the ASCII file on the PC when I'm done-- a program that would allow translate in both directions would be useful too.

Any links would be very helpful.

I just wrote one. Go test it out. You can find it here. It is command line driven, so you can call it in batch files etc. etc.

AAC (this version, and the A8 version) handle not only end of lines, but also tabs, common punctuation, and even drawing characters. Well, just the drawing chars that are in common between A8 and ASCII (the ones with right angled sides). In fact, the translation look up tables I developed for the A8 Action! program I was able to almost directly copy into Python. Other logic translated pretty easy too.

On a tangent note: I am really digging this Python programming language. it is pretty easy to grasp (considering) and is powerful.

Edited by fujidude
  • Like 1

It would be much more compatible if you used any version of .Net less than 4.5. Do you need to use 4.5? I highly doubt it.

By using .Net 4.5, you (unintentionally), and Microsoft (intentionally) have locked out XP users.

I agree, lower system requirements are preferable. I have a strange issue though that I built this version for .Net 4.0 without errors, but in my tests it only works properly if 4.5 is installed.

Madi has been in touch with some other suggestions, such as allowing custom fonts (apparently Polish users among others have their own character sets, as few people actually use the built in international character set, and they have even written patches that install their own font in the previous version of AtasciiView).

I agree, lower system requirements are preferable. I have a strange issue though that I built this version for .Net 4.0 without errors, but in my tests it only works properly if 4.5 is installed.

Thanks for explaining that. I tried the .Net 4.0 version, and it loads, but crashes when I try to open an ATASCII file.

What version of Visual Studio are you using? You should be able to select (from within VS) anything from .Net 2.0 and up (if installed) and as long as your program doesn't need features that are not present in the older versions.

Edit: Hopefully this link will be helpful. https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/linking-applications-using-visual-studio-2012-to-run-on-windows-xp

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 1