IGNORED

Mac OS 8.6 and Atari 2600 Emulation

birdie3

Hello curious reader,

I have been coming to this site for a while now and I feel that I am now ready to dabble with emulation. Unfortunately I only have 56K modem speed at this point however I am eager to get playing the games that I don't personally own. I have to be honest. I need serious help with this. Could someone be so kind as to tell me where and what I need to do to get this Atari 2600 emulation happening on my G3?? I have tried to do this before and I was seriously lost within the first 5 minutes. Thank you in advance.

http://www.atariage.com/common/emu_intro.html

I quickly read that and it was pretty helpful to me, although I'm not the highest authority on Atari emulation, depending on what you would like to emulate, difficulty also varies. Mame 32 is very easy to use, but you're running good old Mac 8 so... There's usually a Mac Port for every major system... Infact I can't really think of an emulated system without a Mac port which is good for Mac emulatists. I tried to find an example to help you but then i remembered that you said you were running 8.x.x and mame needs 9... then again i thought that was odd because i distinctly remember there not being a 9, although i could be wrong. Usually it involves unzipping the ROM into the same folder as the program and then running it. I'm not being much help am I.... Oh well, try just carefully reading the documentation... that ususally helps

edit: i reread your post, and you wanted 2600 emulation... ohhh, just read that site and read the documentation and it shoudl be pretty easy after that...

Thank you for getting back to me with the info. I was pretty much in tune with all of the basics and reading over them again one more time seems to have refreshed my memory. I have tried to use Stella for the Mac but I apparently need Carbon Lib 1.2 (what ever that means) or greater as well as Mac OS 10. I guess I will have to upgrade. Downloading carbon Lib 1.2 will take half the night so I don't know if this is worth it anymore. Maybe I will just stick to emulation on my Windows based comp. at work. Damn Macs!! My wife bought it for Photoshop and really folks, that is about all it is good for. I need to upgrade. If anyone else has more ideas or suggestions, I would definately appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful!!! Now, where do I find it?? I have been using z26 on my windows based set up at work and I must say that I am totally impressed. My home computer is a Mac so I need this to work at home too. Please let me know if you can. Thanks.

Hi birdie,

Don't know if I'll be of any help but I've been able to run Stella on a G4 400 Mhz running OS 9.2. Of course I haven't played around with emulators a great deal but it seemed to work ok. The link to the Stella homepage from AtariAge's 2600 emulation page is http://stella.sourceforge.net/. maybe you looked at this already. Even if you end up having to upgrade to CarbonLib 1.2, when I look at the downloads page on the Apple website it was just under 2 Megs so it shouldn't take too terrible long even at 56k.

• 3 weeks later...
Xot!!! That's great. Most appreciated. I can't figure out which emulator to use though. Maybe I should upgrade to carbon lib 1.2??

I'm running Stella 1.2 and haven't had any problems with it. I think you can d/l the carbon lib extension from emulation.net but it's been a while so I'm not certain.