IGNORED

Nintendo E3

cimerians

I think this was the best they could have done. Solid games all around. Some new stuff, some old stuff with new concepts. At least three I'm really eager to play.

On the other hand, I would have liked to have seen some sign of development of the Wii-U as a platform. A better account system for DLC? Make TVii a serious AV tool instead of a toy? Media streaming features? More iOS apps? This is all stuff Nintendo should be addressing if they want to make the Wii U more than "an attachment for the Wii".

BUT, games come first, and Nintendo knocked it out of the park on that front.

Devils Third...lol

The master of Ninja Gaiden returns.

Also a pic of Starfox Wii U?

http://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/starfox-miyamoto.jpg?w=1100

And some bad news at least for me:

WTF...everyone is on a cart again? What happened to each player goes there own way? We did not enjoy Mario Party 9 because of this. Oh well, will be skipping this. Then again when has there really been a solid Mario Party since Gamecube? 8 was ok but its been lacking for a long time.

Zelda looks great but I wasn't terribly impressed. I give them a B compared to Microsoft and Sony's C's. I wanted to hear more about the Virtual Console, more HD remasters like Metroid Prime Trilogy, I wanted to hear about a major Retro Studios Project, not much for the 3DS going forward which I was hoping would change, etc.

Edited by Atariboy

For me, the Nintendo Direct was not that impressive with games I want. A few thoughts:

Smash Bros. - never been a fan of this series or type of game, so I have no interest.

Zelda - It may look pretty but I'll reserve excitement for later when something of the story is revealed.

Hyrule Warriors - never been a fan of the Dynasty series and this game doesn't convert me.

Splatoon - nice to see a new IP and it looks fun. But if its online only, I'll pass.

Mario Party 10 - if this game isn't online, I'll pass.

Bayonneta 2 - not interested

Xenoblade - not interested

Captain Toad - looks fun as I enjoyed the mini-games in Mario World 3D.

Star Fox - I'm confused; is this a whole new game or the old games with new controls?? Hard to tell from the reveal.

Amiibo - after spending money in the past on Nintendo add-on's that they failed to actually support..... Wii-motion Plus, Wii-Speak, Wii Balance Board, SNES mouse, N64 RAM card, and others.... I'm not investing money in another add-on.

Actually, none of the console conferences really impressed me. I saw games I'm excited about, like Master Chief Collection, Crackdown 3 (YES), Unity, Borderlands Pre-sequel, and a few others. But none of the console media events converted me into saying "This is my console of choice and I'll pour all my money into this system".

Edited by Mendon

Amiibo - after spending money in the past on Nintendo add-on's that they failed to actually support..... Wii-motion Plus, Wii-Speak, Wii Balance Board, SNES mouse, N64 RAM card, and others.... I'm not investing money in another add-on.

Yeah, Nintendo's biggest credibility gap is in the "Stuff we create and never support" category.

It'd be easier to list the stuff that DID see some kind of support 6+ months after release. Rumble Pak, NES Zapper (partial credit), ummm... you know, coming up with a #3 is pretty tough...

Yeah, Nintendo's biggest credibility gap is in the "Stuff we create and never support" category.

It'd be easier to list the stuff that DID see some kind of support 6+ months after release. Rumble Pak, NES Zapper (partial credit), ummm... you know, coming up with a #3 is pretty tough...

The classic controller had pretty good support, but I'm not sure if that counts.

The skylanders thing....kind of bothers me but hopefully they really mean it when they say Amiibo's are optional. I just don't want parts of games locked away due to these figures.

Oh but I'm looking forward to Xenoblade and Zelda. As much as I would love to see a classic 2D top down Zelda on a console again I'll take a Skyrim type Zelda. Should be great, actually can't wait to see more.

Hyrule I have little interest in mainly because I can't stand Tecmo Koei (as of late).

I'm curious about Starfox and I greatly miss F-Zero.

I'm a Wii U fan, but sadly, it didn't do much for me.

I recognize the quality, but Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Brothers, and Xenoblade Chronicles X have been shown before and still don't interest me. And Hyrule Warriors, Mario Party 10, and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, while probably fine games, also don't interest me (And Hyrule Warriors was announced and shown off months ago and wasn't news.).

Nintendo's three new IP's (Amiibo, Devil's Third, and Splatoon) didn't grab me any and left me indifferent at best. I appreciate that they're trying to do new things though and welcome all three, but I'm not interested.

And Mario Vs. Donkey Kong doesn't interest me since I liked directly controlling Mario like with the original on the GBA rather than the Lemmings style direction the series transitioned to on the DS. And Star Fox U left a lot of question marks and is a franchise where it's very hard to please me, but I'm crossing my fingers. I really only liked the original so it will be a tough battle to win me over.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker and Mario Maker intrigued me and look interesting, so I'm looking forward to learning more. But what excited me most are two games we've known about for quite sometime that aren't even slated for 2014. Glad to see Yoshi's Woolly World wasn't cancelled like some feared and I always look forward to Zelda. But the former is slated for quarter 1 of 2015 and the latter probably won't appear before September/October of 2015.

The fact that they're still supporting the Wii U so fiercely (despite selling fewer of them than the Saturn or Dreamcast) should give them the benefit of the doubt, I think.

Are they? Most of what they showed was old news, particularly for the big retail releases. And much of what was actually revealed appears to be smaller scale projects rather than something like Metroid Prime 4, titles that might not even be released via retail channels.

To me, it looks like they're ramping things down for the 3DS and Wii U by wrapping up the few big projects underway for 2014/2015 and propping the lineups up a bit with a few simpler, easier, and cheaper to develop releases.

I think that's why we saw so little of Zelda U yesterday despite a long development period. I think they want to save much of that excitement with what will likely be the finale for major 1st party Wii U releases for later this year and next year as it nears release which called for a small scale unveiling just to let everyone know that it's indeed still planned.

Edited by Atariboy

At the very least the Amiibo figures are nice little figurines in their own right if you simply wanted to collect them, plus there's no need to buy a "portal" or any of that nonsense.

Overall I'm still fine with the U and I didn't see anything on the PS4 or X1 that'll have me pulling $400 out of my wallet any time soon.

The Wii-Motion Plus had plenty of support.

The Wii-Motion Plus had plenty of support.

Please list the Wii games that actually supported the add-on after its release.... I know Red Steel 2 did and required you to have it to play the game, but what other Wii games supported it and/or required it?

Please list the Wii games that actually supported the add-on after its release.... I know Red Steel 2 did and required you to have it to play the game, but what other Wii games supported it and/or required it?

Here ya go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_that_support_Wii_MotionPlus

The most important of course being Wii Sports Resort.

There really is not much THIS YEAR that is going to get me pumped up on the Wii U. But, assuming N survives this drought, fall 2015 may well be a new golden age for Nintendo. Until then, it is very VERY meh.

I say this because, I've never been much of a SSB fan. The only game coming this year (maybe) is the Toad one. Mario Kart 8, and SMB3DW will not hold me out until late 2015. N really needs to get things out THIS year.

That said, an open world Zelda is just what N needs. Too bad we probably will not see it until 2016 knowing how slow development moves over there.

What's coming in the Fall of 2015 besides the likely finale of the Wii U with the release of Zelda U and likely new Nintendo hardware that will consign the WIi U to the history books in short order like Microsoft did with the Xbox once its mission to establish a beachhead was completed with the release of the Xbox 360?

The spectacularness of Nintendo's E3 presentation a few days ago is lost on me. Most of the big name games were things we've basically known about since the dawn of this generation and weren't even news.

For newly announced projects, I was left with one maybe (Star Fox U, much too soon to pass judgement one way or another on it since it's so early in development) and two interesting possibilities that appear to be smaller scale projects (Mario Maker and Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker). And then for guaranteed purchases, there's Yoshi's Woolly World that was announced long ago and Zelda U that has long been confirmed to be in development and was completely expected (And was unveiled in rather disappointing fashion as far as I'm concerned after how they've treated titles like Twilight Princess in the past).

I love the Wii U, but at least where my taste are concerned, they didn't hit a home run the other day. But at least it was better than the 3DS showing at the show...

Edited by Atariboy