IGNORED

New homebrew game 4XV by COLLECTORVISION

Rev

Winter of 2015 is only 6 months away. I wouldn't be surprised if this game beats some of the "coming soon" games to market.

This type of game, based on classics like "Gravitar" and "Thrust", tends to have simple graphics (Gravitar was originally a vector based game) and highly demanding gameplay. Some players find them "just too difficult", while others like the challenge and enjoy learning the fine points of controlling the space ship while battling gravity, aliens, and the ship's own momentum.

Looks promising...

• Like 1

One of the things I loved about the Thrust port for the Atari 2600 (Thrust++) was the support for various control options (foot pedal plus paddles for great two player control for what is otherwise a pure single player game). While I realize this is targeted to the Intellivision - and that's great - I'd also love to see a future ColecoVision version that supports the various add-ons like the roller controller and Super Action Controllers. At the very least, for the Intellivision version, I'd love a control option where one person controls the ship with one controller, while the other person controls the shooting and/or thrust. Again, just as an option, but to me, Thrust games are at their best when you're trying to work with the game's physics.

• Like 1

Winter of 2015 is only 6 months away. I wouldn't be surprised if this game beats some of the "coming soon" games to market.

This type of game, based on classics like "Gravitar" and "Thrust", tends to have simple graphics (Gravitar was originally a vector based game) and highly demanding gameplay. Some players find them "just too difficult", while others like the challenge and enjoy learning the fine points of controlling the space ship while battling gravity, aliens, and the ship's own momentum.

Looks promising...

I took "Winter 2015" to mean 4th quarter of next year. My apologies if this is not the case.

In that case, if the game is feature-complete as shown, it does look like a very simple game. That is not necessarily a problem, though.

dZ.

• Like 1

The graphics look to be 'vector-like' for the world, and just judging from the gifeo, the challenge appears to be ship control more than everything else. I never played Thrust or Gravitar, but from what's been said here, gravity is your primary 'enemy'. I guess as you advance there may be mobile opponents as well - they'll need good pathing code in addition to more traditional 'bad guy' AI.

There is a class of games that originally were vector-based in the arcades that really had their own sparse beauty, and that immediately came to mind with the screenshot here. With the resolution on the Intellivision, line art is always a challenge, so having a large scrolling world plays to the strength of the 2D scrolling capabilities and gives the world a little breathing room. It certainly looks intriguing.

• Like 2

I took "Winter 2015" to mean 4th quarter of next year. My apologies if this is not the case.

In that case, if the game is feature-complete as shown, it does look like a very simple game. That is not necessarily a problem, though.

dZ.

"Grab presents and avoid the Snowman" sounds simple too, until you actually try to DO it...

The look is simple, but the challenge of maneuvering a spaceship with gravity and momentum and limited fuel is what makes the game difficult. These types of games are very tough.

On the other hand, imagine if, while trying to fly the spaceship, you were also trying to play a game of, say, ... tennis? THAT would be a game!

Catsfolly

• Like 2

On the other hand, imagine if, while trying to fly the spaceship, you were also trying to play a game of, say, ... tennis? THAT would be a game!

Catsfolly

Nobody would be crazy enough to make that game! :lol:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...