IGNORED

The Apple IIgs

Atariman

I acquired one of these awhile ago and wasn't very impressed with it(well, intially anyway). Recently, I've heard a few things about it that have made me wonder exactly what it can do.

I was told that it's the closest thing to a mac that the Apple II line ever got. -- Initially I found this hard to believe. My reason for this was because the only thing I had used it for was the old Apple IIe software. Then it hit me... the IIgs had DIFFERENT software that could show off the capabilities it had.

I searched around on the internet for information on this and was actually quite impressed with the screenshots of the OS it was running. One minor problem -- I obviously don't have this OS to run...

So, I guess my question is this: Does anyone know where I can get the OS software for the IIgs on the internet? (and how to transfer it to a disk that I can use on the IIgs) and if not on the internet, where could I order this? I saw that the ones with screenshots had a hard drive. How hard is it to get a hard drive for these?

While looking on the internet, I naturally came across some of the specifications. It says that the processor is something like 2.8Mhz. I looked at my IIgs's motherboard and noticed that it said "3.686400 Mhz." So... what does this mean. Is this how fast the graphics part of the IIgs is, or what? I really don't know much about the IIgs and any help would be appreciated.

I found Wolfenstein 3-D for it on the internet and would like to play it, too. :D

i havent used one since high school...

as far as my work with them, there wasnt any hard drives on our school machines, we load applications either from floppy disks, or from the Macintosh server. It is the closest to the mac, in terms that the applications we used, had a similar GUI setup (there was a paint program and some other applications that used a mouse), but there wasnt a GUI OS as far as i remember. i could be wrong though, it was a school, and even in those days, computers in school were stripped of many of their functions, since allowing kids to have full access to information may cause them to learn something :ponder:

Hello,

[bragging]

My IIGS has 8MB of RAM, an Apple High Speed SCSI card, a 350MB hard drive, two 3.5" floppy drives, two 5.25" floppy drives, an Apple SuperDrive Card(before there were DVDs, Superdrive was the name of Apple's 3.5 drives that could use HD floppies for 1.44MB) and an AEHD+ 3.5" floppy drive....and soon I should have a CD-ROM drive on it as well...maybe someday one of them' new LanceGS ethernet cards for her too.... Wheeeee!!!!!!!

[/bragging]

I love my IIGS and I don't think there's anything you could get me to trade it for.

Anyway, if you're looking for software and information, I'd really suggest you check out the Apple II FAQs here. You can find a lot of usefull information and links there to really get you going.

And I'm allways happy to yammer on about the IIGS and just how cool it is on AIM... ;)

yeah, you're probably thinking of the Apple IIe, which I think (?) was the most popular of the Apple II series of computers. We had those at my elementary until I was in about 3rd or 4th grade. Then we upgraded to 25Mhz Acer PCs with Windows 3.1 (that's 25Mhz of RAW POWER!! lol) Then a few years later, we were awe struck by the computers that came with... CD ROM drives!!

But it sounds like I'm going to have to talk to some people on AIM... I'm wanting to find out as much as possible about the IIgs... :)

Is that the computer everyone had in grade school? I'm thinking of the older Apple II, aren't I? Anyways, I'd love to get one just to play The Oregon Trail again.

Yeah, you're thinking of the IIe. I bought one just to play those old games from elementary school. Should you ever run into one of those, I will gladly send you some of the duplicates or triplicates that I have.

What was your favorite (educational, for the IIe) game back then? Mine I think was called Path Tactics. If not that, it was a game that I cant remember, where you customized a car and raced it... really cool. If anyone knows the title of that game please tell me.