IGNORED

Adventure Demo - 7800basic

Still working on this demo with a whole lot of help from RevEng. It could be weeks (months?) before a significant update is made as there are many, many hours of work that need to go into simply creating graphics and making a map, much less working on gameplay. Stay tuned as this project is certainly not abandoned. :)

• Like 6

Nice job AM - dude - keep up the great work. Collaborate with the other programmers. Let us know if you need funding. Like all the others have said, really nice to see the Atari 7800 programming spirit thrive. To see Bob congratulate you - that is high praise. Keep us posted, and continue on in your pursuit of awesomeness. Next stop, a playable and worthy wrestling game for the 7800. We thank you for your efforts.

• Like 1

I'm not ready to post any code or a binary yet, I'm still at least a week (or two) away from that as there's still some work to do, but I thought I'd post an update on my progress. Before I start, many thanks to RevEng for creating 7800basic and all the assistance and coding help he's already given me. I couldn't have done this without him.

My next big teaser demo will include a fully explorable map (only the overworld, no dungeons) with all of the original map screens and graphics from the original NES Zelda. I've completely replicated the original graphics and map, although it is modified a bit due to the 7800's lower 160A mode resolution. It will only be a map you can walk around, it won't be a playable game.

Before the Nintendo lawyers start scrambling to send me a C&D letter, I'm never going to actually release a playable game with any of Nintendo's intellectual property included and I'm not going to publicly post any Zelda graphics that would allow someone else to compile my demo or any future releases with them. I will release a simple non-game demo (binary only) that lets only you explore the original Zelda map as I thought many would have fun with that, but the next step in development will be to completely change the graphics. I have no idea what I'll change them to or what the theme of the game will be yet. I really wanted to use the Zelda graphics in the game at this stage of development simply as an inspiration to work on it, it has motivated me and made it fun to work on. Using those graphics in an actual release? Extremely bad idea for me. I'm not looking for litigation and I respect Nintendo's copyrights. Please don't ask me to post or send anything Zelda related via PM or on the forum, or ask me to send you a Zelda version of this game now or in the future as I'm simply not going to do it.

I really haven't done anything beyond making a map yet, but I'm convinced that with a great deal of time, effort and collaboration a Zelda clone would be completely possible on the 7800. I know Andrew Davie was able to work out a deal with First Star to make Boulder Dash, but I really don't have the time or money to pursue something like that with Nintendo and they'd probably reject it anyway. Either way, even if this takes years to complete, a new adventure game for the 7800 will be coming. :)

post-2143-0-71720600-1403664859_thumb.png

post-2143-0-97823800-1403664860_thumb.png

post-2143-0-50575900-1403664862_thumb.png

post-2143-0-56142800-1403664863_thumb.png

post-2143-0-09350600-1403664865_thumb.png

post-2143-0-40226000-1403664866_thumb.png

post-2143-0-71376900-1403664867_thumb.png

post-2143-0-87813300-1403664868_thumb.png

• Like 8

I know Andrew Davie was able to work out a deal with First Star to make Boulder Dash, but I really don't have the time or money to pursue something like that with Nintendo and they'd probably reject it anyway.

Forget about it. Nintendo rules their IP with an iron fist. Of course that doesn't stop Robot Chicken from doing Mario parodies ever so often. Anybody see the e3 reel? That was awesome! :lolblue:

Better yet make the main character something off the wall, maybe a cute little pink/purple dinosaur like the main Bubble Bobble character or something. Or a ninja. Or a girl like in Ittle Dew. ;-)

Before the Nintendo lawyers start scrambling to send me a C&D letter, I'm never going to actually release a playable game with any of Nintendo's intellectual property included and I'm not going to publicly post any Zelda graphics that would allow someone else to compile my demo or any future releases with them. I will release a simple non-game demo (binary only) that lets only you explore the original Zelda map as I thought many would have fun with that, but the next step in development will be to completely change the graphics. I have no idea what I'll change them to or what the theme of the game will be yet. I really wanted to use the Zelda graphics in the game at this stage of development simply as an inspiration to work on it, it has motivated me and made it fun to work on. Using those graphics in an actual release? Extremely bad idea for me. I'm not looking for litigation and I respect Nintendo's copyrights. Please don't ask me to post or send anything Zelda related via PM or on the forum, or ask me to send you a Zelda version of this game now or in the future as I'm simply not going to do it.

:thumbsup:

As with any developer I completely respect and love to see them produce (and program) what they desire and that it brings them joy and satisfaction. Extra bonus for me when it's on the 7800 platform, super-duper extra bonus for me when it aligns with my heart's desire.

Absolutely positively love seeing an Adventure-Action/RPG for the 7800. 8th lutz made an excellent reference to Neutopia for TurboGrafx-16 and Golden Axe Warrior for the Sega Master System. Anodyne for the PC is also a great example. SNES has an excellent game with Secret of Mana as well.

Your hard work deserves it's own stand alone title and theme not to be foreshadowed or hopelessly compared to the "near-exact" game on another system. Arcade ports are great and obviously unavoidable for that scenario.

However, showcasing this awesome tool RevEng has provided coupled with your evidently pretty amazing coding skills (Blown away by the sheer amount of progress already), this baby deserves its own identity. In fact, I think your AtariAge handle would make for an excellent protagonist name, if not (incorporated into) the title of the game.

• Like 4

Thanks for the kind words, Trebor. I'm still working with RevEng on a few more technical details that I haven't been able to figure out myself, like bankswitching and using plotmap to make changes to unique screens like those with a narrow water stream running down the middle, and a few other things. I'm already at the 48k limit without bankswitching so I'm on hold at the moment as there's no more room for changes until the code is reworked to use bankswitching (128 unique screens use 30,720 bytes of ROM space by themselves). Many of the minor changes are related to unique Zelda screens that I can't currently render correctly. Of course a Zelda release isn't going to happen - it's just for the demo, but the details we try and work out to make the Zelda map demo function correctly can be applied to a future unique game release. Again, stay tuned, it may be a while before the initial map demo is completed and I have a completed binary to post.

• Like 2

:thumbsup:

However, showcasing this awesome tool RevEng has provided coupled with your evidently pretty amazing coding skills (Blown away by the sheer amount of progress already), this baby deserves its own identity. In fact, I think your AtariAge handle would make for an excellent protagonist name, if not (incorporated into) the title of the game.

Ha. Not sure if I'll use 'Atarius Maximus' in the game or not. ;) When I joined AA back in 2002 I put very little thought into my handle, I had just watched one of my favorite movies back then, Gladiator with Russell Crowe, and just added Atarius to his character's name Maximus. I may have chosen something different if I'd actually given it any thought... not changing it now. :)

• Like 2

Ha. Not sure if I'll use 'Atarius Maximus' in the game or not. ;) When I joined AA back in 2002 I put very little thought into my handle, I had just watched one of my favorite movies back then, Gladiator with Russell Crowe, and just added Atarius to his character's name Maximus. I may have chosen something different if I'd actually given it any thought... not changing it now. :)

Wanna trade names? Yours is an awesome one, be proud of it.