IGNORED

Anyone else get a Destiny Alpha invite?

King_Salamon

I was interested in this game last year but I wasn't counting the days until release. After seeing some vids from E3 I was a bit more interested and now I get an invite to play in the Alpha. I'm not a bit shooter player... pretty terrible really. But perhaps this will be fun! Why am I not playing it and posting messages on here you may ask? Well the download to play the alpha is 6.7G so I have a little wait.

Good marketing by Sony/Bungie as sending an invite to play this game is a great way to get my attention! Anyway, if anyone else has access to the Alpha and wants to play it online, drop me a note and we'll try it out!

I think I'll be playing pretty soon... last time I checked I was about 25%+ downloaded. Sony was smart to get a guy like me who wasn't overly interested in the game to suddenly become excited for a download. lol Well... things may change once I start playing. We will see. Albert, are you good at shooters?

Wow! What a game... I got in a couple hours playing last night and another 2 hours (maybe longer.. lol) today. I was roaming around and shooting anything and found some extra missions when someone else was in my game... saw 3 other players running around and it was weird... I thought I was all alone but then there were other people... then I continued on and saw some new places.

Then I tried out my speeder bike and holy hell it was awesome! I didn't know I had this little beauty. I kept playing around and then realized I needed to go to the other planet to have an item examined and it turned out to be a heavy weapon. Should be fun to play with it next!

I am level 6 now and I look forward to some more gaming goodness with this... I'm not a shooter fan in general but this game is really getting me to want to buy the final! And this is just the Alpha! Good stuff!

Maybe we can add friends and start an Atariage game as a group?!

• Like 1

Do you know if you can join in someone else's game?

I played for a bit last night and saw other people in "my" game, but I didn't try to interact with them. I'm going to spend some more time tonight playing. I didn't realize it's only for the weekend, so I need to get a bit more time into it. :)

..Al

• Like 1

For those of you who haven't downloaded this yet….I highly recommend downloading the Alpha. It is one of the most original gameplay styles I have seen in a while. Hard to put my finger on any one thing that stands out, but here is my evaluation after about 2 hrs of play:

• First person shooter (my preference!)
  • Halo gameplay style...sort of…more like Halo fighting mechanics mixed with Skyrim style world / quests (I actually am one of the few people who HATED the Halo series)
  • Search for loot and other items which help you buy weapons, armor, vehicles, etc...
  • BOSS FIGHTS (something that has been desperately lacking in modern games!)

I really am enjoying this one! Oh, and I forgot to mention that the visuals are stunning!!!

• Like 1

For those of you who haven't downloaded this yet….I highly recommend downloading the Alpha. It is one of the most original gameplay styles I have seen in a while. Hard to put my finger on any one thing that stands out, but here is my evaluation after about 2 hrs of play:

• First person shooter (my preference!)
  • Halo gameplay style...sort of…more like Halo fighting mechanics mixed with Skyrim style world / quests (I actually am one of the few people who HATED the Halo series)
  • Search for loot and other items which help you buy weapons, armor, vehicles, etc...
  • BOSS FIGHTS (something that has been desperately lacking in modern games!)

I really am enjoying this one! Oh, and I forgot to mention that the visuals are stunning!!!

Are you referring to the Wizard (I believe that's what they called him/it) as a boss fight? Just curious as I thought it was a definite boss fight as it was the end of your mission. Lots of fun.

One of the other things that I liked about Destiny is that you level up and it has RPG elements in it.

Variety is the spice of life and it looks like Destiny has a huge variety of weapons! Wow... of course some of these weapons can't be used until you reach a certain level.

Are you referring to the Wizard (I believe that's what they called him/it) as a boss fight? Just curious as I thought it was a definite boss fight as it was the end of your mission. Lots of fun.

Wizard…Devil…etc. There seems to be several bosses. I can only imagine there will be more with the final release.

One of the other things that I liked about Destiny is that you level up and it has RPG elements in it it is an RPG.

There…fixed that for you! :D

• Like 1

My only complaint (and let me preface this by saying that I am aware this is only an Alpha test):

I noticed that when you are on a mission, you have to run (or drive) back and forth across the huge map, an inordinate amount of times to complete each stage of the mission. It does become tedious…especially because the enemies respawn in a matter of seconds…not minutes. You are fighting the same groups of enemies…over and over again, unless you decide to skirt around them. This is great for you level grinders out there, but it is making me a little nuts! Hopefully, this is only a product of the limited scope an Alpha presents. We shall see….

My only complaint (and let me preface this by saying that I am aware this is only an Alpha test):

I noticed that when you are on a mission, you have to run (or drive) back and forth across the huge map, an inordinate amount of times to complete each stage of the mission. It does become tedious…especially because the enemies respawn in a matter of seconds…not minutes. You are fighting the same groups of enemies…over and over again, unless you decide to skirt around them. This is great for you level grinders out there, but it is making me a little nuts! Hopefully, this is only a product of the limited scope an Alpha presents. We shall see….

I concur, I'm thrown off a bit by the enemies respawning. And not just respawning, but respawning when you are still so close to the area where you killed them off. Great if you want to continually fight the same exact enemies over and over, but I prefer enemies to stay dead and not come back. Perhaps this is more of an MMORPG thing.

..Al

• Like 1

I concur, I'm thrown off a bit by the enemies respawning. And not just respawning, but respawning when you are still so close to the area where you killed them off. Great if you want to continually fight the same exact enemies over and over, but I prefer enemies to stay dead and not come back. Perhaps this is more of an MMORPG thing.

..Al

If it's not just the Alpha…acting like an Alpha, then I would say it is designed intentionally for the teenage set. They tend to like to level grind (if and when possible), before they even play through the entirety of a game (if they even worry about such trivial things!).

IMHO, if the spawning stays that way, it that would be a terrible flaw, in an otherwise stellar game.

Sometimes I thought the respawning was influenced by other people entering your game. One time I was trying to get into a cave with a huge battle going on... suddenly, the whole group vanished and I was able to complete my quest. A minute later, the battle respawned and 2 other players showed up (2 levels higher than me) and they were in this battle (as part of their mission perhaps) and I snuck out of there. lol

• Like 1