IGNORED

2014 Classic Game Fest August 16, 17 in Austin, TX

SpiceWare

No, AtariAge will not be at either CGE or PRGE this year. I'm simply too busy with work at the moment to spend the enormous amount of time it takes to get ready and attend shows of that magnitude. At least if I want to setup a grand AtariAge booth as I've done in the past. I may investigate having one or more pallets of equipment shipped directly to and from shows to save me the time to drive out to far off destinations (especially Portland), although it's still quite a bit of work to get everything ready for a big show. Either that, or greatly scale down the scope of the AtariAge booth and having fewer game systems setup and fewer games at shows to purchase (with an emphasis on a few new games at each show).

It would be fun to drive around to tons of different shows all year (there are enough that it would keep me busy the entire year!). Unfortunately, it wouldn't be a terribly profitable adventure, as it's not cheap to attend shows and setup a large booth..

..Al

I sold at this show this year.

It was a pretty good show as a seller.

GameOver took up a lot of space, I'm sure they would have been happy to sell more space earlier on. I have encouraged them to try to court more collectors to sell (like me, as opposed to retailers), because there weren't THAT many. Mind you, it was a good number, but nothing close to what I see at, say, PRGE as far as the quality and variety of sellers. One limitation is the resistance to one day sellers and trade rooms, which collectors often enjoy as buyers and sellers.

I did really well because I more or less sold at collector prices, rather than retail prices. I sold about as much in cash as I do at a good show like PRGE. I was very pleased as a seller. And the other sellers I spoke to were very happy as well. This was at least in part due to the high volume of attendees and the relatively few sellers.

As a collector I literally bought one thing. A TI-99 4A Flyer cart for $2. It sat at the vendor's booth for nearly an entire day without much attention, next to high quality pricey SNES and NES games. When I go to other shows (named below) as a seller, I usually not only spend all the money I earn, but usually quite a bit on top of it. Mind you I have pretty high level interests and I still manage to spend literally thousands at other shows. What I'm saying is, the selection as a hardcore classic collector wasn't that great. One great vendor had a lot of imports. Many catered heavily to the spendy Nintendo stuff. Few had a good variety of classic stuff.

There were some booths that were highlights, like AtariAge and the HighScore booth. Nice variety of artist booths. Excellent music acts, although very loud, and I'm glad I was at the other end of the room. Lots of game stations, which were very crowded. The show could have used a larger assortment of arcades and pins.

It is a local and regional show worth hitting if you are in the Texas Quadriplex (Dallas/Austin/San Antonio/Houston). It hasn't quite reached the level of some of the other national shows for classic collecting, like CGE (hopefully will be this year) or PRGE or MWCGE. Those shows are awesome, well worth a flight. Maybe in a few years this one will be, too.

If you flew here from far away just for the show, and you've been to any of those other shows, you might have been let down. Then again, I would strongly recommend coming for a weekend trip when the show happens, checking it out for a day, and then enjoying all Austin has to offer, which is a ton. And within one mile of the Palmer Events Center where it's held, there are probably 50 great restaurants and trailers to eat at, great parks to enjoy your day, wonderful walks and bike rides, and places to stay.

I'm super psyched to have a local show to drag my stuff to, which will be copious in the coming year or two. I will continue to attend and sell as long as I have anything left to sell.

It was great to see Serious and Al, and I look forward to getting to know many of the other collectors that showed up in the coming years.

Edited by ianoid
  • Like 1

Would like to see them!

x2 :thumbsup:

No, AtariAge will not be at either CGE or PRGE this year. I'm simply too busy with work at the moment to spend the enormous amount of time it takes to get ready and attend shows of that magnitude. At least if I want to setup a grand AtariAge booth as I've done in the past. I may investigate having one or more pallets of equipment shipped directly to and from shows to save me the time to drive out to far off destinations (especially Portland), although it's still quite a bit of work to get everything ready for a big show. Either that, or greatly scale down the scope of the AtariAge booth and having fewer game systems setup and fewer games at shows to purchase (with an emphasis on a few new games at each show).

It would be fun to drive around to tons of different shows all year (there are enough that it would keep me busy the entire year!). Unfortunately, it wouldn't be a terribly profitable adventure, as it's not cheap to attend shows and setup a large booth..

..Al

Will you be at the Houston one?

Edited by stardust4ever

• 3 weeks later...