IGNORED

Atari 800 - Best Game Pack : Releases

starwindz

Hmmm. I broke my Mac install.

It's down to the peculiar way Mac OS handles folder merging.

Updating to v1.03b using Mac's Finder (Explorer alternative) didn't merge the folders, it replaced the entire folder structure, meaning most of the files were removed, leaving only the updated files from the 1.03b update folder.

I need to find a reliable way of merging folders properly on the Mac. It's odd - I've been a Mac user since the early days of OSX (The underlying Unix system appealed to me) and I've never really had an issue with the way it handles this type of folder merging before.

Maybe if the app had its own "update" option?

I hope the games can still run on an ordinary 800XL setup, with the 1mb Ultimate upgrade and SIO2SD device - this is the setup I have which Lotharek kindly upgraded at Sillyventure 2k13 in Poland :) Is it just a case of copying the game images onto the SD card ?

Okay. I will check it out. Thank you for your comment, :)

Hmmm. I broke my Mac install.

It's down to the peculiar way Mac OS handles folder merging.

Updating to v1.03b using Mac's Finder (Explorer alternative) didn't merge the folders, it replaced the entire folder structure, meaning most of the files were removed, leaving only the updated files from the 1.03b update folder.

I need to find a reliable way of merging folders properly on the Mac. It's odd - I've been a Mac user since the early days of OSX (The underlying Unix system appealed to me) and I've never really had an issue with the way it handles this type of folder merging before.

Maybe if the app had its own "update" option?

Online update option would be good. I will consider to include this feature to the next version of the game pack. :)

Thank you for your advice.

A quick question regarding the updates (1.03, 1.03a, 1.03b, etc.).

Are the updates incremental? i.e. Do I just download the 1.1GB 1.03 file, then apply 1.03b or do I need to apply 1.03a first?

Does 1.03b contain everything from the 1.03a update?

Is the 1.1GB file updated to the latest version as newer updates appear, or is the main file left at 1.03?

It would be really cool to have a "check for updates" button in the application at a future revision, which could then go off and download the incremental updates automatically.

If you don't have the initial releases then get the FULL version, that is it bang up to date ie 1.03b, if you have the last version then just get the LITE version to bring you up to date.

It is a bug of emulator setting for Bounty Bob Strikes Back. It will be fixed soon. Thank you.

Bounty Bob on almost all version MUST be set to 64K ram to work..EDIT: in this case it Needs PAL (as Shannon found out), its one of the rare versions that work on any memory.

Just pointing out that its the setting not the emulator as Starwindz is saying..Can't have Avery venting at us :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

I hope the games can still run on an ordinary 800XL setup, with the 1mb Ultimate upgrade and SIO2SD device - this is the setup I have which Lotharek kindly upgraded at Sillyventure 2k13 in Poland :) Is it just a case of copying the game images onto the SD card ?

The games are just the releases out there with no alterations so should work fine, you will need to unzip them to the SD and that's it.

Thank you for your comment. :)

Starwindz, if stereo is being enabled as standard you might want to turn it off as default as old games will sound a bit odd.

Ignore this, just seen its not enabled as default..

Edited by Mclaneinc

If anyone spots a game that needs special settings as Shannon did (thank you) then please pop a message to this thread. As long as Starwindz is using the key value pairs from Gamebase it should not be a problem. I'll attempt to find any others that slipped through the net.

Just a few hints for people, set your emulator to Altirra, whilst Atari800win is very nice Altirra is technically a lot more compatible...

For Hires / Gr.8 games like AE, make sure they are set to NTSC in SYSTEM/VIDEO and in the same dropdown select NTSC artifacting Standard. You will now see the game in the way it was meant to be seen on a USA TV (the colours may not be perfect but its how it should look).

By the same token, if you want that old TV / composite monitor for PAL games then in the SYSTEM/VIDEO pull down choose PAL Arftifacting, I use HIGH as it really gives the colour bleed....Good times...

Want to be real retro, then in Altirra go to the SYSTEM DISK/DRIVE pulldown and pick Drive sounds to get the sound of the old disk drive stepper motor and heads as it read your disk, to hear the sounds make sure in the same menu SIO Patch is unticked...No instant loads but retro bliss :)

And one for the clumsy big finger people like me who use a gamepad, if you own a multi button pad and its set in INPUT to XBOX360 gamepad then most of the buttons get auto mapped to menu commands like FULL SPEED mode etc, if you are like me you can tend to hit these in the heat of gaming. If this is your problem then in INPUT just get it to Gamepad in Port One.....There's just movement and fire then...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

If anyone spots a game that needs special settings as Shannon did (thank you) then please pop a message to this thread. As long as Starwindz is using the key value pairs from Gamebase it should not be a problem. I'll attempt to find any others that slipped through the net.

Just a few hints for people, set your emulator to Altirra, whilst Atari800win is very nice Altirra is technically a lot more compatible...

For Hires / Gr.8 games like AE, make sure they are set to NTSC in SYSTEM/VIDEO and in the same dropdown select NTSC artifacting Standard. You will now see the game in the way it was meant to be seen on a USA TV (the colours may not be perfect but its how it should look).

By the same token, if you want that old TV / composite monitor for PAL games then in the SYSTEM/VIDEO pull down choose PAL Arftifacting, I use HIGH as it really gives the colour bleed....Good times...

Want to be real retro, then in Altirra go to the SYSTEM DISK/DRIVE pulldown and pick Drive sounds to get the sound of the old disk drive stepper motor and heads as it read your disk, to hear the sounds make sure in the same menu SIO Patch is unticked...No instant loads but retro bliss :)

And one for the clumsy big finger people like me who use a gamepad, if you own a multi button pad and its set in INPUT to XBOX360 gamepad then most of the buttons get auto mapped to menu commands like FULL SPEED mode etc, if you are like me you can tend to hit these in the heat of gaming. If this is your problem then in INPUT just get it to Gamepad in Port One.....There's just movement and fire then...

Basically, the game pack uses gamebase setting for video system options such as PAL and NTSC. In the case of Bounty Bob Strikes Back, there is a wrong setting in gamebase mdb file. I have switched the video system to PAL in the gamebase file, it works like a charm. It will be updated in the next version. :)

If you don't have the initial releases then get the FULL version, that is it bang up to date ie 1.03b, if you have the last version then just get the LITE version to bring you up to date.

ARGH....Not having a good day today, my new TV was smashed over by my cats and everything seems to be going wrong..

Ignore the strike through comment...

Edited by Mclaneinc

A quick question regarding the updates (1.03, 1.03a, 1.03b, etc.).

Are the updates incremental? i.e. Do I just download the 1.1GB 1.03 file, then apply 1.03b or do I need to apply 1.03a first?

Does 1.03b contain everything from the 1.03a update?

Is the 1.1GB file updated to the latest version as newer updates appear, or is the main file left at 1.03?

It would be really cool to have a "check for updates" button in the application at a future revision, which could then go off and download the incremental updates automatically.

Starwindz, I thought I'd got this right but not sure now, is the 103 with or without the A update?

Might be worth putting the 1.03a update grouped with the others, at the moment its on a separate tab..

I am seriously considering to make the auto-update feature for the game pack. It would be cool but I have to add a lot of codes for this feature... So it will take some time... How about my idea?

EDIT: Do you know some kind of free hosting site? atari800.tistory.com has 10MB upload limitation...

Edited by starwindz

I love the idea of an auto update as I suspect would others...

Firedrive.com is nice and fast, think it might be a a 1gig limit but you can always split the main file...Not sure about the file longevity though.

I'm sure the guys on here will have some idea's re hosting.

I am thinking about the release date of version 1.1. (Within 06 July 2014) This version would have the online-update feature. Also if you have any kind of new features or updates you want to add, please let me know them until then.

Thank you.

And phaeron has just messaged me about the cheat idea and has kindly agreed to add it, so there will be a way via command line to load a cheat file so you could offer an option to play a cheated version of the game.

I'm just going through the cheats to match them up with the appropriate version of the game.

If you like the idea and want to add it I'll let you know when the altirra is released with it and the files?

• Like 1