IGNORED

7800 Brotherhood

MAC-42

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I think the 7800 should be the guiding light that informs our worldview.

• This "in-tune" thing that people keep harping on? It's a myth perpetuated by Big Music.
  • Preferring a gamepad to a joystick means you have shape-shifting reptilian ancestry. The Europad was a misguided marketing attempt to appease this market.
  • The human eye can't resolve more detail than 240p. Any proof to the contrary has been cooked up by the electronics cartel, so they can sell cancer-causing LCD TVs.
Open your eyes, brothers.
  • Like 3

Prosystem is what the pros use.

TIA 2 channel is mind blowing.

Prolines are the most natural real joystick ever invented.

Dont call the 7800 pixels fat. They are the new beautiful.

The life like graphics chip Maria should have never been unlocked. Should have remained one of humankinds greatest secrets.

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Even so in hindsight the home brew market shows indefinitely what kind of potential the 7800 could have had in the 80s what kind of power the system truly had imagine in the 80s if the XD version of donkey Kong could have came out. Atari could have been. Hey look who got the best most complete version on donkey kong on their system. I bet that would have really pissed off Nintendo.

• 2 years later...

Count me in as well.

I had bought a 7800 used in 1990. Wish I hadn't sold it. Didn't really notice the same 2600 sound chip in use at the time, though in retrospect I should have. Donkey Kong Jr was irritating but I had no other reference points at the time... Asteroids was great, a shame they didn't put out the Deluxe edition instead of just the visual redo (which to this day is simply perfect.)

Youtube videos show the NES struggling on various games whereas the 7800 breezes through all 8 zillion sprites (e.g. Summer Games.)  Robotron and Food Fight are go-to games on this platform. Until the arthritis kicks in, so get the kids interested in them too! (Yeah, this aging stuff gets old...)

Decades later would I read up on the 7800's history - the lack of POKEY sound alone was a mistake. Delaying until 1986 may have been another mistake. Especially as the 7800's graphics for Ballblazer look a little more polished than on the 800 line.

Homebrews for this platform do indeed show what it's got. But it never got a proper chance... :(

An XEGS Brotherhood would be much welcomed as well!  Completely underrated machine, if only for revamped titles (e.g. the best version of Mario Bros) and that angled late-80s style that's quick to grow on ya. But the 7800 was a special best.