IGNORED

I just joined the Wii U Brotherhood

Ransom

I finally got off the fence and bought a Wii U (deluxe) console yesterday, after spending half a year thinking about it. My wife likes a lot of the Nintendo franchises, and I enjoy Mario Kart, so I think it's a good addition to our console lineup. I bought the Mario/Luigi edition (I missed out on the Mario Kart one, unfortunately), a Wii Remote Plus, a Nunchuk, and Nintendo Land yesterday and brought them home to my wife as a surprise. She was thrilled. :) (She's been home recovering from a pretty severely broken ankle and the surgery required to fix it, so having some new games that she knows she'll love was a real mood lifter.)

Today I have a few more items coming from Amazon: a Pro Controller, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. I think she'll get a real kick out of those, as they're all right up her alley.

Last night about all we accomplished was getting everything connected and downloading the update. But I just heard from my wife, and she's having fun playing Super Mario Bros. U, so all is well in my world.

After reading some threads on here, I just let her know that she should sign up for the Deluxe Digital Promotion, as well as Club Nintendo. (Atari Age users rule!)

Most importantly, I'm glad to finally be a member of the Wii U Brotherhood. :grin:

So...what other good stuff is out there for the Wii U these days?

• Like 3

Congrats on the purchase! I bought a Wii U for my oldest son's birthday shortly after it came out, and we have really enjoyed it so far. I am definitely glad it seems to be turning it's fortunes around and is actually getting some positive press for once. I do think it is going to have a 3DS type of comeback, especially with the new games they announced recently.

It sounds like you have some good games to get started. You can also enter your code after registering Mario Kart 8 and get another game for free, but since you already bought Mario World 3D and Wind Waker I think all that is left to choose from is Pikmin 3 or Nintendo Land. If you register the games you bought too you will get credits to use towards other downloads. There are plenty of good games to choose from. I spent some time a few weeks ago and went through all the old game cases in my son's room to get the codes, registered them all and was able to get enough credits to download some pretty good games for free. This should go a long way to help your wife recover ;-)

The only complaint I have about the Wii U is that it doesn't support two game pads yet. This isn't a big problem for most people, but my kids are six years apart, so they tend to fight like feral animals over the use of the game pad. I would gladly pay extra for another game pad to put an end to this, but last I heard Nintendo had no plans to make this a reality.

• Like 1

Here is what I own for WiiU:

Tekken

Tank Tank Tank

Avengers

Spider Man

Deus Ex

Sonic lost world

Mario 3d land

Pikmin 3

lego city

lego batman

lego marvel

donkey kong country tropical trouble

super mario u

super luigi u

need for speed most wanted

zelda wind waker hd

sonic racing

nintendoland

wonderful 101

transformers rise of the dark spark

• Like 1

Toys R Us is closing out some WiiU games at $15 or less, so they might be worth checking out. I picked up Zombi U and am having good fun with it.

A note about club Nintendo: the 'year' runs out June 30th so if you register your stuff now you'll only have a couple days to spend the coins (and the current rewards are pretty lame IMHO). Might be better to wait until after July 1.

Welcome to the brotherhood!

• Like 1

Congrats! It's a really fun system, and it looks like you picked up some of the best games for it. :thumbsup:

With Mario Kart 8 you will get a free download code when you register it to your Club Nintendo account (has to be done before 7/30/14, I believe). Since your wife is really into the Nintendo properties, I highly recommend choosing Pikmin 3 as the free game (Zelda and New Super Mario Bros. are other options, but you already have those). There is no experience with the prior two games in the series required to understand the third one.

As for other games, if you and your wife enjoy platformers, Rayman Legends and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are must-buys.

• Like 1

The only complaint I have about the Wii U is that it doesn't support two game pads yet. This isn't a big problem for most people, but my kids are six years apart, so they tend to fight like feral animals over the use of the game pad. I would gladly pay extra for another game pad to put an end to this, but last I heard Nintendo had no plans to make this a reality.

I was curious about that as well. Seems like a strange choice, especially given that (from what I've read) the player with the Gamepad has an advantage in some games, due to information on the screen that isn't available to other players.

Toys R Us is closing out some WiiU games at $15 or less, so they might be worth checking out. I picked up Zombi U and am having good fun with it.

A note about club Nintendo: the 'year' runs out June 30th so if you register your stuff now you'll only have a couple days to spend the coins (and the current rewards are pretty lame IMHO). Might be better to wait until after July 1.

Welcome to the brotherhood!

Thanks! Good to know about the TRU closeouts. I'll check that out.

And thanks a ton for the heads up about the Club Nintendo 'year'!

Congrats! It's a really fun system, and it looks like you picked up some of the best games for it. :thumbsup:

With Mario Kart 8 you will get a free download code when you register it to your Club Nintendo account (has to be done before 7/30/14, I believe). Since your wife is really into the Nintendo properties, I highly recommend choosing Pikmin 3 as the free game (Zelda and New Super Mario Bros. are other options, but you already have those). There is no experience with the prior two games in the series required to understand the third one.

As for other games, if you and your wife enjoy platformers, Rayman Legends and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are must-buys.

Thanks! I bet she'll really like Pikmin 3 (and I probably will, too) and we'll probably pick up DK Country: Tropical Freeze once she finishes with New Super Mario U.

I was curious about that as well. Seems like a strange choice, especially given that (from what I've read) the player with the Gamepad has an advantage in some games, due to information on the screen that isn't available to other players.

Unless it's something like Call of Duty, I'm not sure if any game has a real advantage when using the game pad. A lot of Nintendo-specific games, like Nintendo Land, use the game pad for player-specific functions. For instance, in the Luigi's Mansion mini game, one player will play as an invisible ghost on the gamepad (that the player on the TV can't see), while the other player plays on the TV with the goal being to capture the ghost. New Super Mario Bros U is similar, in that the player on the touch pad can place blocks for everyone to use. Not really an advantage per-se, so much as different player roles.

• Like 1

Unless it's something like Call of Duty, I'm not sure if any game has a real advantage when using the game pad. A lot of Nintendo-specific games, like Nintendo Land, use the game pad for player-specific functions. For instance, in the Luigi's Mansion mini game, one player will play as an invisible ghost on the gamepad (that the player on the TV can't see), while the other player plays on the TV with the goal being to capture the ghost. New Super Mario Bros U is similar, in that the player on the touch pad can place blocks for everyone to use. Not really an advantage per-se, so much as different player roles.

Ah, OK. I'd read that on Mario Kart 8 only the player with the gamepad can see the track layout and the position of all the karts. Good to know isn't a big deal over all.

Ah, OK. I'd read that on Mario Kart 8 only the player with the gamepad can see the track layout and the position of all the karts. Good to know isn't a big deal over all.

To be honest, I've never looked at that once during a race in Mario Kart 8. There's so much going on you have little time to bother with it, haha.

I think the Wii U is an underrated system, but I will say this: it really helps to be an artist, or at least someone who can draw recognizably. Miiverse makes a LOT of games more entertaining if you're a right-brain thinker. I just won't buy Wii U or 3DS games if they don't have Miiverse support.

Don't forge to register Mario Kart 8 for the free game promotion.

This isn't true, is it? I've redeemed a lot of my codes since joining finally because of Mario Kart 8. Was my understanding that I had a year or two before they expire.

Edit: According to a search just now, you have two years to spend your coins after the conclusion of the Club Nintendo year that you registered them in.

Your account will also tell you if you have any that are expiring under account & coins. Nothing is listed as expiring for me after June 30th despite loading it up with about 800 coins earlier this month.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

We just had our first full gaming session last night. We played Mario Kart 8 twice, and it was as fun as I remember from the N64. Great stuff! (I also played Nintendo Land for a little while -- just did the tutorial and played the Link battle game -- and it was fun! What a great showcase for the gamepad. For $20, it's a fine collection of minigames.)

To be honest, I've never looked at that once during a race in Mario Kart 8. There's so much going on you have little time to bother with it, haha.

You're right -- there's too much going on for the gamepad display to matter during MK8. It didn't really matter who had which controller.

This isn't true, is it? I've redeemed a lot of my codes since joining finally because of Mario Kart 8. Was my understanding that I had a year or two before they expire.

Edit: According to a search just now, you have two years to spend your coins after the conclusion of the Club Nintendo year that you registered them in.

Your account will also tell you if you have any that are expiring under account & coins. Nothing is listed as expiring for me after June 30th despite loading it up with about 800 coins earlier this month.

Ah, ok, that's a lot more reasonable. Thanks for checking on that!

You're right, and I apologize for my earlier error. I'm new to this club Nintendo stuff, myself.

• Like 1

Welcome to the brotherhood. You should add your Nintendo ID to the list and add some AtariAge friends: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/216296-atariage-nintendo-network-id-list-wii-u/

You have already got some of the best games. There is some more great games on the way, just check out the the Nintendo E3 videos on YouTube or the "Digital Event" video in the eShop.

There is some great games on the eShop too. I recommend NES Remix 1 and 2. If you like RPGs then try Child of Light.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, I'm on my third myself, haha. Speaking from experience, now is about the first time I'd jump on the bandwagon. Before this there was pretty slim pickins for games.

Mario Kart has been nothing short of astounding. And this is coming from someone who owns an Xbox One and owned a PS4. That's about the best compliment I can give the game, that despite being on weaker hardware, looks the part of a next gen game.

I agree, MK8 is awesome. Welcome back!

I went ahead and bought a second Wii U for the loft upstairs. I ordered one of the $200 refurb units from Nintendo's site. Once I get it, I'll finally be able to play when my wife's busy with Zelda or Pikmen. :)

I'm also eagerly looking forward to the return of the high capacity Gamepad batteries. Supposedly they'll be back in stock within the next month or so.

I agree, MK8 is awesome. Welcome back!

I went ahead and bought a second Wii U for the loft upstairs. I ordered one of the $200 refurb units from Nintendo's site. Once I get it, I'll finally be able to play when my wife's busy with Zelda or Pikmen. :)

I'm also eagerly looking forward to the return of the high capacity Gamepad batteries. Supposedly they'll be back in stock within the next month or so.

They had some in stock (the official higher cap. Nintendo brand ones) at Play Asia. Was going to pick one up. I honestly can't STAND this battery life as it is. I play half an evening from a full charge and I'm greeted with a blinking red light. I love the system, but seriously, what was Nintendo thinking with this battery???

The battery is 35 bucks. Not sure if that's a good price or not. Figured it's worth it. I know i'd use it.

Glad you got one. 200 isn't a bad price at all! I still can't believe how much these things are going for on eBay. The fact people are not only selling, but BUYING $450 Wind Waker LE Wii U bundles that you CAN STILL BUY AT GAMESTOP FOR $299 makes me want to scream. Not only that, but used systems go for just a Jackson or two below retail. I guess it's a good thing, as the value has stayed high. But you'd think for a used system you could do better on eBay.

I ended up getting mine for 180 with MK and 3D World, so I feel like I did pretty dang well :).

They had some in stock (the official higher cap. Nintendo brand ones) at Play Asia. Was going to pick one up. I honestly can't STAND this battery life as it is. I play half an evening from a full charge and I'm greeted with a blinking red light. I love the system, but seriously, what was Nintendo thinking with this battery???

The battery is 35 bucks. Not sure if that's a good price or not. Figured it's worth it. I know i'd use it.

Glad you got one. 200 isn't a bad price at all! I still can't believe how much these things are going for on eBay. The fact people are not only selling, but BUYING $450 Wind Waker LE Wii U bundles that you CAN STILL BUY AT GAMESTOP FOR $299 makes me want to scream. Not only that, but used systems go for just a Jackson or two below retail. I guess it's a good thing, as the value has stayed high. But you'd think for a used system you could do better on eBay.

I ended up getting mine for 180 with MK and 3D World, so I feel like I did pretty dang well :).

Wow. I'd seen that console prices were higher on eBay than elsewhere, but I hadn't looked at completed auctions. That people are buying these things is crazy. Get a 1-year guarantee on a refurb for $200 direct from Nintendo, get a brand new bundle from Gamestop for $299...or pay way more on eBay for questionable goods that will probably be packed to maximize shipping damage. Sheesh!

Thanks for the Play Asia tip! I'd never heard of them. The prices look pretty good to me. I think I'll pick up a second Pro Controller there as well.

Yup, your deal for $180 with MK and 3D World was the best I've seen. Nice!

Thanks man! Been having a blast with it.

Yeah, eBay has gone nuts. I don't know what's more disturbing, the crazy priced auctions and buy it nows, or the fact there are tons of people buying them!

Even if you didn't know you could get a refurb from Nintendo, you'd think people would know of Craigslist... or at the very least what the retail price is for one! I mean come on, go to any online or brick and mortar store and it clearly shows a $299 sticker. Why are these people spending $450 for a WindWaker package still freakin' in stock!?!?!?

Yeah, Play Asia has been around forever. Very reputable, don't worry. The Wii U Nintendo branded batteries are now on sale for 31 plus shipping. Just bought one last night. I didn't want to spend the money, but honestly, I know it'll be put to good use. Every time I've used the Wii U this week, I've played each sitting till the battery died, so I definitely need more battery life, lol.

Yeah, Play Asia has been around forever. Very reputable, don't worry. The Wii U Nintendo branded batteries are now on sale for 31 plus shipping. Just bought one last night. I didn't want to spend the money, but honestly, I know it'll be put to good use. Every time I've used the Wii U this week, I've played each sitting till the battery died, so I definitely need more battery life, lol.

Cool! I placed an order for two of the Nintendo branded batteries (one for my wife's system) and the pro controller. Good to know they've been around a while. Shipping was kind of expensive, but overall the price was still good. And now I'll be able to play more than a few hours between recharges without having to obsessively check if they're back in stock at the Nintendo store!

I received my refurbished Wii U console for upstairs! I'm extremely pleased with the quality of the refurbished components. You'd never know it's refurbished -- not a scratch or mark on it or the gamepad.

However, I didn't check carefully on what was included and was surprised there's no charging station or stand for the gampad, nor is there the Wii U console stand. I don't care about the console stands, but I did want the charging station. Fortunately, Amazon had the charging station and gamepad stand for $5.99 with Prime free shipping, so it's not a real issue. Just thought I'd note it for anyone else considering the purchase of a refurbed Wii U.

Now that I have a Nintendo Network ID set up on this console, when I get some time I'll look around for other AA members in the Wiiverse. :)