IGNORED

Atari Corp - Business is War

Nice. Are you going to open up Amazon preorders like with the previous book?

We don't have plans on pre-orders right now. Amazon screwed us royally last time with that (both tracking and releasing the money), plus there's the issue of it being print on demand. We can't get the books early to mail them out since we get them from the same place as everyone else. We have to put the book in "published" status to get copies, which opens it up for everyone to order it. (Which is what happened last time)

We don't have plans on pre-orders right now. Amazon screwed us royally last time with that (both tracking and releasing the money), plus there's the issue of it being print on demand. We can't get the books early to mail them out since we get them from the same place as everyone else. We have to put the book in "published" status to get copies, which opens it up for everyone to order it. (Which is what happened last time)

Yeah I remember we got into an debate a couple years ago over preorders. Sucked for both sides. I think I got my book a month or so after it was "available." If there was a way to preorder through the main Amazon site, it would be nice. Are there any ETAs?

We won't be announcing a release date until it's getting very close. We're not interested in having to go through the same thing as last time where we have to keep pushing it back and disappointing everyone. Likewise, we're heading out to California to do more in person interviews this September (with a stop first at CGE).

• Like 3

Nothing has really been delayed, we're just taking our time on this one. The first book had a deadline co-inciding with getting it out for the 40th anniversary when we really could have used another six months for editing a book that large. Though the constant barrage of people getting pissed off and demanding it's release (and complaining every time we pushed it back) played their role in that as well, which is ironic considering a bunch of those people are also the ones who complained about the editing and said we should have taken longer.

The changes being done for the second edition of the first book are going beyond simple grammar fixes, I'm doing rewrites of section to make sure the narrative voice/character of the first quarter of the book is solid throughout the book. Plus we're taking several of the intermission chapters and putting them as appendixes instead, since some people who didn't get they were intermission chapters complained about the jumping back and forth on the timeline. We're also adding an index and adjusting some of the photos to account for Amazon's b&w printing process (since some of the European printed ones came out a bit dark from what we were told). There will be some minor updates of info. I'm even going through some of our past interviews and such and rediscovering a few gems here and there that I think should have made it in but were overlooked in the mad rush. Plus some things that upon further reflection don't really need to be there are being cut out to account for the other changes (considering we still have a size limit for Amazon/Createspace).

And really, Business Is War has different areas of research to focus on than the first book. In the first one we spent time on the usual time periods, products and stories that people expected and had myths that needed to be cleared up. But we really spent a lot of time focusing on the very early years as well, since that was a period usually quickly glossed over in previous efforts. I.E. they were usually "Nolan and Ted did Computer Space, it didn't work out so they founded Atari, did PONG then Nolan did Home PONG and the 2600.." and then went on from there, sometimes interspersing a few other arcade games in the mix. So we really wanted to expose people to that period and information people hadn't seen in any detail before, which I think we did.

Atari Corp. is of course a different company and has some different "unknown" areas people need to know more about. Sure, we're covering the expected computer material, stories behind the consoles, and the various unreleased projects and legal wranglings people have been asking about for some time. But we really want to expose people to a lot of the untold stories regarding business decisions, the "human side" of Jack and the people that worked there, those early transition years and the European operations (which many fans in the US don't really know how much more important a role that group played in the history of Atari Corp. other than the STs were more popular there).

• Like 11

Awesome cover. What's the third book in the trilogy called? "Business is Over," perhaps?

That's a rhetorical question, I can wait to find out. :-)

It was already revealed in the first book, Atari Games - Last In Fun. :)

All three titles use elements of each other:

Business Is Fun

Business Is War

Last In Fun

• Like 1

For everyone that's offered to help proof etc., Curt and I have been thinking about it and we're going to take people up on the offers and treat it like play testers for a beta game. I.E. have a bunch of people proofing the material at once (since there's so much of it). So yes, we're open to people volunteering to proof either (or both) the second edition of the first book and this book. Just two conditions: 1) We prefer you can demonstrate some previous experience (we don't want everyone and their uncle volunteering just to get an advanced look at things), and 2) You'll need to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

• Like 8

For everyone that's offered to help proof etc., Curt and I have been thinking about it and we're going to take people up on the offers and treat it like play testers for a beta game. I.E. have a bunch of people proofing the material at once (since there's so much of it). So yes, we're open to people volunteering to proof either (or both) the second edition of the first book and this book. Just two conditions: 1) We prefer you can demonstrate some previous experience (we don't want everyone and their uncle volunteering just to get an advanced look at things), and 2) You'll need to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

You could also have a list of questions that they would have to answer, similar to this:

Do you know the difference between it's and its?

Do you know the difference between a lot and allot and do you know that alot isn't a word?

What about fewer and less . . . accept and except . . . affect and effect . . . bring and take . . . dependent and dependant . . . jibe and jive . . . our and are . . . then and than . . . their/there/they're . . .

:D

• Like 7

I absolutely sucked in the grammar department when I was in school and I tend to leak spoilers like a rusty bucket. But seriously, I'd be happy to except, um sorry, accept your offer to sign your non-discolsure agreement just to get a free preview of the first draft. But seriously, you don't want me singing, er, signing your non-disclosure agreement. But seriously, don't trust anybody's word on a forum who simply because they say you can trust their word. Yeah, better screen each "offer" to verify their, um, there, um sorry I'll get it right this time: to verify they're legit. :D

This is wonderful news. The 2nd edition and the "Business is War" are going to be great!

Perhaps after the entity currently masquerading as "Atari" goes belly-up (it will) and their legal department no longer exists, a 4th volume on what happened to Atari's scraps could be penned. There's definitely interest, and there's a story to be told, however sad.