IGNORED

Trak-ball help

Star castler

Just got a 5200 trak-ball, got home and tried it on centipede, the left side fire button doesn't work. Also, the trak-balls movement is shaky. My original joysticks even work better. It looks like it has been used a lot before, I am hoping to be able to restore it to working order. :?

It could be that the mechanism inside is dirty, causing the shaky movement. Where the ball contacts the other spinny bits inside can get dirty and cause the encoder wheel not to spin. I had one that had bad bearings that wouldn't let the encoder shaft spin freely. Could even be that something like lint is interfering with the optical encoders.

Trak-balls have two sets of buttons. One set to the left of the ball and one set to the right. Is it that the left button on both sets doesn't work? Or both buttons on the left set don't work.

If it's that the left on both sets don't work, it could be one bad wire. It could be that the socket isn't tight for that pin. Could be a broken wire somewhere. Could just be a disconnected wire.

If it's just one single button that doesn't work, that switch could be bad.

You're gonna have to open it up. An ohmmeter or some other means of testing continuity would be very helpful for tracking down the bad fire button(s).

All Trak-Balls need to be taken apart and cleaned every so often, especially one that hasn't been used in over 20 years. Clean the rollers with steel wool and the cue ball with soap and water real good. Clean and oil the bearings... put a little oil where the rollers roll in their cradle too... just don't get any oil on the ball or where the ball meets the rollers. Regarding the buttons, get some aluminum tape and a hole puncher. Take the punched holes and stick them where the carbon dot is. Do this to ALL the buttons. :)

IMO, the red fire buttons on the Trak Ball suck. If your not concerned about originality, you can install arcade style buttons right below the stock buttons... they work SO MUCH better. :)

Edited by 7800
  • Like 1

It could be that the mechanism inside is dirty, causing the shaky movement. Where the ball contacts the other spinny bits inside can get dirty and cause the encoder wheel not to spin. I had one that had bad bearings that wouldn't let the encoder shaft spin freely. Could even be that something like lint is interfering with the optical encoders.

Trak-balls have two sets of buttons. One set to the left of the ball and one set to the right. Is it that the left button on both sets doesn't work? Or both buttons on the left set don't work.

If it's that the left on both sets don't work, it could be one bad wire. It could be that the socket isn't tight for that pin. Could be a broken wire somewhere. Could just be a disconnected wire.

If it's just one single button that doesn't work, that switch could be bad.

You're gonna have to open it up. An ohmmeter or some other means of testing continuity would be very helpful for tracking down the bad fire button(s).

I don't think I have a game that uses the outer fire buttons to test them. Bad button below:

post-39542-0-59346400-1405295274_thumb.jpg

There aren't 4 distinct fire button functions, only 2. Numbering the buttons in your picture 1,2,3,4 from left to right: 1&3 are functionally identical. 2&4 are functionally identical.

You say that #2 doesn't work. Does #4 work?

Assuming you're using a game that is supposed to recognize those, and that the console recognizes that equivalent button on the regular controller then if neither 2 nor 4 work, my first suspicion would be a break or loose connection in the wire somewhere between the buttons and the plug that goes into the console.

Here's a schematic depicting the keypads and fire buttons on the trak-ball: http://console5.com/wiki/File:5200-CX53-Trakball-Keypad-Schematic.png

I don't know the games well enough. It's been quite awhile since I did a deep dive into the controller design to repair some I bought in a big pile of broken ones.

I'm sure there are people around here who can tell us.

(I'd test with my mulitcart to find a game but I don't have a working controller. I gave one of my custom ones away and unintentionally gave away the second one. If you see the guy around here, tell him he still owes me $50.)

I think the design was that left or right handed people could use it, so with that said... the left and right side PAIR of buttons are the same BUT REVERSED. The two red buttons closest to the ball are the main primary buttons. The button you have with the arrow pointed at it is a primary fire button... for example, if you play Galaxian THAT button (or the other red button closest to the ball) is the one you will use to shoot. That explains why it doesn't work... it was probably used so much that it crapped out.

I think the design was that left or right handed people could use it, so with that said... the left and right side PAIR of buttons are the same BUT REVERSED. The two red buttons closest to the ball are the main primary buttons. The button you have with the arrow pointed at it is a primary fire button... for example, if you play Galaxian THAT button (or the other red button closest to the ball) is the one you will use to shoot. That explains why it doesn't work... it was probably used so much that it crapped out.

Thanks for that correction. I couldn't tell that based on the schematic, but I wondered.

• 2 weeks later...

All Trak-Balls need to be taken apart and cleaned every so often, especially one that hasn't been used in over 20 years. Clean the rollers with steel wool and the cue ball with soap and water real good. Clean and oil the bearings... put a little oil where the rollers roll in their cradle too... just don't get any oil on the ball or where the ball meets the rollers. Regarding the buttons, get some aluminum tape and a hole puncher. Take the punched holes and stick them where the carbon dot is. Do this to ALL the buttons. :)

IMO, the red fire buttons on the Trak Ball suck. If your not concerned about originality, you can install arcade style buttons right below the stock buttons... they work SO MUCH better. :)

Have care with the steel wool, it will remove too much metal off the brass. Metal Polish such as Never Dull works well and is less intrusive. Be careful during dissassembly, to avoid damaging the internal wire harness. That decades old connector inside should not be unplugged, it could snap.

5200 Trakball Repair Guide with pics - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=726298#p726298

post-27490-0-50812200-1406512591_thumb.jpg

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

If you have problems with the Trak-Ball and would like to ask it's creator Dan Kramer questions, join the Trak-Bombers group over at Facebook. Due to the convenience of Facebook on Android [and iOS of course], Dan frequently checks in there when summoned about Trak-Ball issues, advice, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/trakbombers/

If you have a multicart, someone dumped the test cart that the field engineers used, that makes it much easier to determine if a certain button is working. It was a godsend when I was working on my keypad adapter.

Any good 5200 rom site should have it.

Looking for a replacement cue ball. I see they come in different sizes. Tournament regulation size is 2 1/4" and oversized coin-op is 2 3/8" does anybody know which size fits in the Trakball? I have one I just bought NIB off ebay that will be coming and I want to swap the ball asap.

Looking for a replacement cue ball. I see they come in different sizes. Tournament regulation size is 2 1/4" and oversized coin-op is 2 3/8" does anybody know which size fits in the Trakball? I have one I just bought NIB off ebay that will be coming and I want to swap the ball asap.

I happened to have a 5200 trak ball disassembled on my bench. According to my digital caliper, the ball is 2.22". I'd say that's the 2-1/4" size.

I happened to have a 5200 trak ball disassembled on my bench. According to my digital caliper, the ball is 2.22". I'd say that's the 2-1/4" size.

Thank you very much for that info. I guessed that was probably the correct size but your confirmation is very helpful.

Thank you very much for that info. I guessed that was probably the correct size but your confirmation is very helpful.

Standard Pool Table Ball size and not the odd sized cue ball designed for seperate return track tables. You could even put in an Eight ball as a Trakball. However, anything other the white will show the scratches more readily due to the Steel rollers underneath.

Some things to clean, lubricate and precautions during disassmbly, see my repair guide I linked in my previous Reply.

Edited by CRTGAMER

• 2 weeks later...

Have care with the steel wool, it will remove too much metal off the brass. Metal Polish such as Never Dull works well and is less intrusive. Be careful during dissassembly, to avoid damaging the internal wire harness. That decades old connector inside should not be unplugged, it could snap.

5200 Trakball Repair Guide with pics - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=726298#p726298

attachicon.gifAtari 5200 Trakball CX53 Inside - Pool 8 Ball - Never Dull Polish - 3in1 Oil.jpg

I just finished cleaning and lubing my trackball controller following your very useful guide and it cleaned the rollers and lubed the bearings quite nicely. I highly recommend the Never Dull metal polish for restoring the rollers to a nice new-looking shine. I also replaced the trackball with a white cue ball I got from Mitch. Very pleased with how it turned out.

Just got a 5200 trak-ball, got home and tried it on centipede, the left side fire button doesn't work. Also, the trak-balls movement is shaky. My original joysticks even work better. It looks like it has been used a lot before, I am hoping to be able to restore it to working order. :?

Well I just tried testing mine and it is having the same problem while playing Centipede, fire button #1(outer) on the left side does not work at all, button #2 (inner) works intermittently, button #3 (inner) on the right side works perfectly and button #4 (outer) on the right side does not work. Same results playing Galaxian.

I'm not sure if this was programmed into the game to only work with one fire button on each side of the CX-52 controllers. Can anybody who has a Trakball confirm whether or not all 4 fire buttons should be working on both games? If not, there's a problem and if you fixed it, what did you do?

Edited by Tron Unit