IGNORED

Player/Missile, a new Atari 8-bit game podcast

The first episode of a new Atari 8-bit podcast, Player/Missile, is available at

http://playermissile.com

It should be in iTunes soon. I'm going to look at games and classic magazines that covered the Atari 8-bit systems, and go chronologically. This first episode is an introduction, and next episode I'll start covering 1979. My goal is to review one game per episode as well, and for the first episode I'm going to review Star Raiders.

Sort of like Ferg's 2600 game-by-game podcast, I'll be looking for feedback from folks about the games that I'll talk about, so I'll announce the games in advance if you'd like to send in stories about the games.

I'm looking forward to playing some of these games again, and maybe finding games I missed. If you have any suggestions, let me know!

• Like 3

I enjoyed the 0th episode, and am looking forward to the regular ones. Good job!

Thanks! I'm hoping to have some fun doing this. It will probably be a few weeks before the Star Raiders episode comes out. I don't know that I can face Audacity (the audio editing software) again for a while. :)

But, on the plus side: more time to hear about any Star Raiders stories!

• Like 1

Suggestions:

Pastfinder

Zone Ranger

Zenji

I'll add them to the list. It will be a little while before I get to 1984. I remember the name Zenji and I think I even had a copy that got passed around but I don't remember playing it. I don't remember the others at all so they will be fun to check out. Thanks for the suggestions!

In all my 30+ yrs of gaming I've never seen or heard much about Zone Ranger.

All I've ever seen in an Activision foldout catalog was "[Author's] universe of nasties."

Subbed on iTunes!

Edited by RJ

I like your voice & delivery- calming & easy to listen to. Looking forward to this getting off the ground. & yes, keep the techy stuff to an "overview", as you said.

I think when you do a magazine issue, you should cover the Atari type-in game(s) (if any) within the issue- at least give a synopsis, at most do a review. That's something we havent heard before.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

Well done, playermissile!

I'm just as passionate about the Atari 8-bit computers as you are. Your show will definitely augment Antic nicely. In fact, down the road, you may want to team up with them from time to time. They're great guys, and podcast crossovers are always fun.

I'd also thought about doing a show focusing on the Atari 8-bit games (and possibly the ST as well), but my hands are pretty full with The Intellivisionaries, but thanks to you, there's no need!

Looking forward to more episodes.

• Like 1

I like your voice & delivery- calming & easy to listen to. Looking forward to this getting off the ground. & yes, keep the techy stuff to an "overview", as you said.

Wow, thanks! I appreciate the compliment. Toastmasters was a huge help for me -- again, I can't plug that organization enough.

Great idea about covering the type-in games. I had thought about them but not specifically how much to mention them. I will take it as an action item to at least mention and briefly describe all of the type-in games. Maybe a full review of some of the bigger games, like Livewire or Bacterion.

I plan to continue to develop the website as well, so I'll create a list of type-in games that I find in each magazine.

Well done, playermissile!

I'm just as passionate about the Atari 8-bit computers as you are. Your show will definitely augment Antic nicely. In fact, down the road, you may want to team up with them from time to time. They're great guys, and podcast crossovers are always fun.

I'd also thought about doing a show focusing on the Atari 8-bit games (and possibly the ST as well), but my hands are pretty full with The Intellivisionaries, but thanks to you, there's no need!

Looking forward to more episodes.

Thanks, nurmix! I enjoyed your crossover episode with Antic; it sounded like fun. I've emailed with Randy several times and it would be fun to contribute to other podcasts once I get more comfortable on the mic.

• Like 2

Star Raiders was my go to game back then, used to play the heck out of it and its sequel Star Raiders II (although I did have a early version I obtained that said The Last Starfighter :) did quite a bit with the Atari 8 bit line from programming games and selling them to having my Atari 8bit run my model railroad among other things. Looking forward to listening to this new podcast :) One of my other favorite games for the system is Orc Attack by Thorn EMI, kind of like a reverse kaboom :)

• Like 1

Great podcast! Keep up the excellent work.

We always need more Atari podcasts!

I like the magazine idea, and don't forget that there were a lot of general interest computing mags besides the big boys. And they did cover Atari occasionally too.

Once it's on iTunes, it only takes a few minutes after you upload it to show up on iTunes. I really wish I had time to get to the game before the episode came out, I played my 800 cart games but didn't get a chance to plug in the disk drive. Looking forward to listening tonight!