IGNORED

Shatneroids (Graphic Hack)

I'm trying to learn 7800basic so I did this silly graphic hack of the sample "Smasteroids." Now you control a deep fried turkey and shoot at asteroids resembling Shatner, Hello Kitty and bikes. I even tried to lower the score when you get hit but the score reverts to 999,999 if you get hit at the start. Included is the .bas file.

post-18158-0-97016100-1405560542_thumb.jpg

shatneroids.bas.a78

shatneroids.bas

gfx.zip

Update (December 1, 2015): Newest version.

EDIT- You may be interested in the updated version below with extra "secrets." :)

Edited by frankodragon
  • Like 15

You'll need to include a zip file of your graphics directory and your tmx file (assuming you used the tiled app) too if you want anyone else to be able to compile your code. It's a good start, I hope you continue with it. If you have questions, post 'em up. I'll try and help and I'm sure others will too.

You'll need to include a zip file of your graphics directory and your tmx file (assuming you used the tiled app) too if you want anyone else to be able to compile your code. It's a good start, I hope you continue with it. If you have questions, post 'em up. I'll try and help and I'm sure others will too.

Zip file's been added.

I'm trying to learn 7800basic so I did this silly graphic hack of the sample "Smasteroids." Now you control a deep fried turkey and shoot at asteroids resembling Shatner, Hello Kitty and bikes. I even tried to lower the score when you get hit but the score reverts to 999,999 if you get hit at the start. Included is the .bas file.

attachicon.gifshatneroids screenshot.jpg

attachicon.gifshatneroids.bas.a78

attachicon.gifshatneroids.bas

attachicon.gifgfx.zip

To go with all of your HARDWORK, I made some box art for you! It is like stepping into a time machine…it makes you feel just like you were BACKIN89!!!!

post-29022-0-50771500-1405568490_thumb.png

• Like 11

Here's an updated version. Added a title screen and a "fuel" counter that goes down; more depletes your fuel when you collide with an object. So far I've tried to make the game end at zero but the coding won't work unless it's 5 or greater. There's also hidden stuff related to the game. See if you can get the highest score in limited time.

post-18158-0-69048400-1405836673_thumb.jpgpost-18158-0-49682100-1405836689_thumb.jpg

Shatneroids.bas.a78

Shatneroids.bas

gfx.zip

• Like 3

attachicon.gifgfx.zip

Great idea, bro!!! You should just let the score roll back to 999,999 or so when you go negative. After all, it's a game about trolling, and what's better than a negative being just shy of a million? Brag rights, my man... :D

• Like 1

I found a bug that freezes the game involving a power-up--hope that's fixed. The Shatneroids and other stuff now move in other directions. Plus I've added a couple of insults when the game's over. Let me know if there's a bug I need to squash.

Shatneroids.bas.a78

Shatneroids.bas

gfx.zip

• Like 1

attachicon.gifgfx.zip

EDIT- You may be interested in the updated version below with extra "secrets." :)

To go with all of your HARDWORK, I made some box art for you! It is like stepping into a time machine…it makes you feel just like you were BACKIN89!!!!

attachicon.gifSHATNEROIDS.png

Just hilarious :lolblue:

• Like 2

ProSystem is a lot less accurate in emulating the 7800 and provides greater leniency for errors or flakiness, so it may not ultimately be the best testing ground. MESS would be a much better alternative in testing a game closer to actual hardware behavior.

There is a current bug in the game that exists from the initial release (Unhacked "astrodemo8"), when you hold down the fire button, your shots will keep firing and appearing in the same spot, regardless of where you move your ship.

Nevertheless, great to see development and interest in the 7800. Thanks for sharing it.

• Like 2