IGNORED

Shatneroids (Graphic Hack)

This is a neat idea! I can remember there being an actual Shatneroids flash game you could play online several years back. I don't think it exists anymore though. :(

At least there is a copy of the page online even if the game doesn't work:

archive.org/web/20020402122822/http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~aardvark/java/Shatneroids2/Shatneroids.html

• 3 weeks later...

I even tried to lower the score when you get hit but the score reverts to 999,999 if you get hit at the start.

Maybe someone else explained this already, but the score does that because once the score reaches its max/min values, it wraps around to its max/min values: -1 becomes 999999 and 1000000 becomes 0, since it can't hold any more/less information.

I assume it probably uses 3 Binary-Coded Decimal numbers to display its score. Theoretically, since those 24 bits can hold a number up to 16,777,215, there should be a way to show/handle numbers using the non-BCD format. Then you could use the high bits of the high byte to capture whether the number is positive or negative and, bam! You've got a 3-byte signed integer.

It would probably take a lot of careful Assembly to do it this way, and it might gobble up a good chunk of processor cycles.

Alternately, I guess you could just tweak the score display code a little to check a separate bit for the sign and the append a negative sign and count up if negative.

Edited by Cybearg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's an updated version of Shatneroids. This time you'll need to shoot the power-ups such as crackpipes, Nyan-Shats, corn, and bacon to keep the game from ending. Also avoid getting hit by the Shatner heads, toilets and Hello Kitties. They will also try to end your game quickly. To restart, press either the reset button or the right joystick button.

Shatneroids.bas.a78

Shatneroids.bas.bin

Screenshots:

post-18158-0-22924500-1448973042_thumb.jpg

post-18158-0-91548700-1448973042_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Can you imagine the awesomeness to have Shatner himself autograph the box?

If you guys digitize any Shatner dialogue, you'd probably want to do it from his "get a life" speech from SNL. :)

I like the idea but I used Atarivox code to say "Get a Life" since I remember in Jinks how the Gauntlet digitized speech sounded muffled. (I cannot test the VOX feature through MESS :( ).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been playing this a bit, but I don't know what to do, is there a set of instructions somewhere?

It's pretty much shoot your stuffing at the enemies (toilets, hello kitties on crackpipes, shatnerheads, bikes) before they collide with you with the left fire button. The game is on a timer but you can shoot the bonus items (nyan-shats, corn, bacon, bananas) to add time to keep playing. If you collide with any of the enemies, it shortens your playtime. If you get a score of 990,000 or greater, then you win the game and a special ending message.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated and fixed several issues plaguing Shatneroids today: Colors to title screen fixed after playing a game; RESET code has been added; countdown timer now starts a 100- if you manage to get a score of 30,000+ then you're awarded extra play- the same goes for getting scores at 60K, 80K, 110K and so on; Game Over screen automatically goes to Title Screen in a few seconds; and game can be started using either fire buttons.

Things that have been changed: Enemies no longer deplete your game time- your worst enemy now is the clock; bonus items add points to your score; certain enemies/power-ups sometimes change their paths.

The game still ends at 990,000 points or better.

Shatneroids.bas.bin

Shatneroids.bas.a78

• Like 4

• 5 years later...