IGNORED

Using a mouse on the TI-99/4A

Omega-TI

Check out the mouse in this photo. This person actually might be on these forums? I found this on the FTP site. Anyway, I can add another piece of hardware to my want list. Does anyone have any idea how rare this item is? I couldn't find any on eBay.

EDIT:

Arcadeshopper?

GregoryMcGillandhis994a.jpg

Probably my mechatronic mouse since the picture doesn't come up.. previous message in this thread i noted it stopped working a while back.. also on my geneve I have a logitech bus mouse which is handwired into a adapter to work with the geneve mouse plug..

That is the hard disk that goes with the Myarc Personality Card. The case holds a 5, 10, or 15 MB MFM Hard drive with a SASI controller bolted onto it. SASI was the standard that predated SCSI (and was the standard from which it grew). These are very rare objects now. I know of less than 10 of them still in circulation--one of which is mine.

• Like 1

Looks like a corcomp sidecar clock hanging on the system as well?

yep.. here's the specs:

TI console, Gram Kracker, Speech Synthesizer, Peripheral Expansion Box, Foundation 128k ram card w/myarc XBII rom, Corcomp DS/DD floppy controller, Myarc Personality Card, Corcomp RS232 Card (Millers Graphics ROMS), Mechatronic Mouse, TI 10" color monitor, Myarc WDS/100 Hard Disk System containing a Rodime 15meg MFM hard disk drive, Wico bat-handle joystick w/TI adaptor box

later i replaced the corcomp rs232 with a TI rs232 with HDX daughterboard

• Like 1

There are a lot of programs already written to support the joystick like TI-Artist, Missile Command, etc...

If a device could be manufactured to go between a mouse, or wireless USB receiver and the joystick port, that would ensure compatibility with 100% of pre-existing programs that are already written to accept a joystick.

I figure constant movement in one direction would be translated into the continuous direction the joystick would normally be pressed, no movement, no travel. Decoding the requirements of the USB device seems like the hardest part.

• 1 month later...

Your computer sees the Wico Trackball as a joystick, so it can be used with any joystick games or applications. That said, it is definitely the best controller out there when playing Barrage or Centipede. . .and it gives really fine-grained control in graphics programs that accept joystick input for drawing.

I used to use the Wico trackball for both gaming and TI Artist - I was surprised how well it worked even if the software was just written for joystick. :) Definitely the one piece of hardware I wish I'd kept.

I've toyed with getting one of those for a while now, as there are a number of them on eBait right now too, even NEW ones.

<< HERE >> The only thing(s) keeping me from getting one are:

1) The physical size these things... they're massive!

2) The red color, I'd probably paint the read silver to match the two tone combination of the TI.

3) Then there are the aesthetics of multiple cords. Too bad they did not duplex the power & control lines in the same cord.

I'd really like to see a schematic on one of these, because I'm betting that someone could design a circuit that would be able to interface a PS/2 touchpad to translate and work with the joystick port. It's the same principle involved, right?

837-01.jpg

As far as I know, it just pulses the joystick lines - it certainly works with any joystick software just fine. I never took mine apart back in the day. ;)

A touchpad may not work the same way - I think they are positional point rather than relative movement devices - but a mouse would in theory be possible.

I'm assuming the non-/4A Wico trackball can be used with a joystick adapter?

Amazon has them too, but not with the TI pinouts... If I am reading the listing correctly...

the non-/4A Wico Trackball will not work with a joystick adapter, i tried...

the one specific for TI-99/4A has an AC power adapter added that in the other version is not present. ;)

post-24673-0-22764000-1431986161_thumb.jpg post-24673-0-51749000-1431986057_thumb.jpg post-24673-0-99592100-1431986170_thumb.jpg

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 1