IGNORED

Draw your sound effects

This was presented during the 26th edition of the ADAMCon in Cleveland, at 11 o'clock Friday July 25, 2014.

Link

Blog (download) : http://newcoleco.dev-fr.org/p4219/2014-07-19-draw-your-coleco-sound-effects.html

DOWNLOAD CVSoundFX.zip

Give it a try and if I see a clear interest to use this tool , new functionalities wilit will be part of the toolkit with some improvements.

post-3651-0-37376100-1405981636_thumb.png

Story

My previous presentations about the sound chip inside the ColecoVision console got some attention. Unfortunately, nobody seems to have done anything with this information. I was thinking : "Maybe this is too technical, I need an even more family friendly approach." For this year ADAMCon, I was invited to talk about sound effects and instead of showing again a bunch of numbers they might forget, I've decided to create this tool for everyone who want to have fun making their own Coleco sound effects.

Technical Information

Coded in Java 1.6, this tool allows to draw frequencies and volumes as you want and save your creation. It's simple and a lot of fun just giving it a try and say "I can do Coleco sound effects! Listen!"

Please note that the resulting file ( .sfx ) is a text file with the following structure :

MODE [0 = tone, 1 = periodic noise, 2 = white noise]
SIZE [120 by default, number of entries ( period + attenuation ) in this file, 120 @ 60Hz = 2 seconds]
START [0 by default, it's the index value where the selection starts]
END [119 by default, it's the index value where the selection ends]
sound data ( each period and attenuation values )
Edited by newcoleco
  • Like 8

I love it. how can I use the output in my c program. Keep up the cool work.

Since the output file can be easily manipulated for your own needs, anybody can make a tool to convert the data into something usable by their projects, not necessary Coleco projects.

Anyway, I've added a button "EXPORT" to generate a data file in Coleco BIOS sound format to be used with SDCC. It fits with my toolkit, just need to add the sound labels into the sound table and I'm ready to use these sounds. More sound formats can be added in this tool or simply consider to make your own tool to convert the sound data.

I'll try to focus on adding functionalities like an "UNDO" button.

Have fun!

just a thought. what about a visual music composer(piano sheet music style) that could use your sound generator as instruments.

so design your sound effect using your visual composer then assign that to a voice, then using the same envelope have it play a tune. and output to a music data file that can be attached to a game project would be the goal.

I really like video tunes design. so I can easily and visually write 3 part music in a piano sheet music gui.

adding custom instruments to a similar interace that could then output a music data file that can be used directly with say the playsound(1) style command would be ideal.

anyways just a thought. i'll figure out a way to convert the output into the form I need. certainly makes designingnew effects easy.

thanks for the great project.

Since the output file can be easily manipulated for your own needs, anybody can make a tool to convert the data into something usable by their projects, not necessary Coleco projects.

Anyway, I've added a button "EXPORT" to generate a data file in Coleco BIOS sound format to be used with SDCC. It fits with my toolkit, just need to add the sound labels into the sound table and I'm ready to use these sounds. More sound formats can be added in this tool or simply consider to make your own tool to convert the sound data.

I'll try to focus on adding functionalities like an "UNDO" button.

Have fun!

Edited by digress
  • Like 2

If you mean the program Video Tunes for Coleco Adam, there are some tools by Chris Braymen to convert the output of that program into different formats. I think he may have written a converter to convert to native BIOS format too.

Now if only I could remember the name of that tool. :P

If I can't maybe we can track down someone who can.

Ok , let meknow if you remember. I was able to output to midi from videotunes and play that under windows but to bios sound routine data would be ideal.

For some reason video tunes doesn't seem to have the full range of possible notes scale available though. I notice while hand coding some music which I then wanted to test quickly on videotunes. It's a real nice program though.

If you mean the program Video Tunes for Coleco Adam, there are some tools by Chris Braymen to convert the output of that program into different formats. I think he may have written a converter to convert to native BIOS format too.

Now if only I could remember the name of that tool. :P

If I can't maybe we can track down someone who can.

just a thought. what about a visual music composer(piano sheet music style) that could use your sound generator as instruments.

i guess that Vortex Tracker (made on Delphi, runs fine on Wine) might provide us some ideas of features, and interoperability suggestions? (compatible formats for importing/exporting, converters, etc.?)

Edited by nitrofurano

i guess i found a bug, the "Play" button gets stuck sometimes, not allowing us to click anywhere else for canceling, making us force quitting (like us xkill from unix)

I saw this issue after my presentation, it has to do with my logic behind it to trigger playing the sound or not. I'll fix that later.

• Like 1

Ok , let meknow if you remember. I was able to output to midi from videotunes and play that under windows but to bios sound routine data would be ideal.

For some reason video tunes doesn't seem to have the full range of possible notes scale available though. I notice while hand coding some music which I then wanted to test quickly on videotunes. It's a real nice program though.

Here is everything I could dig up re. VideoTunes and Chris Braymens utilities that he released in conjunction with his MIDI-Mite hardware add-on for the ADAM. There is a conversion program on the MIDI Utilities disk image for converting MIDI files to ADAM format, but I never used it and am guessing that it converts to a format that can be used in SmartBASIC, but hopefully it converts to a machine code format that can then be used in your CV games.

I think there were more SmartBASIC P.D. programs released, but I don't have the time to search through my collection right now. Definetely look for the ADAMcon Demonstration program that displays graphics screens and plays music in the background and was used and updated for numerous ADAMcon Conventions. It's fun to sit back and watch that one at work.

VideoTunes (1984) (FutureVision).zip

V.T. Player v1.1 (1991) (Bonafide Systems).zip

MIDI Utilities Package (1991) (Bonafide Systems).zip

MIDIBasic - Midi-Mite Drivers (199x) (Bonafide Systems).zip

Mini Recorder (199x) (Bonafide Systems).zip

VideoTunes PDF Manual.zip

• Like 1

Awesome NIAD. Thanks for digging these up. Yeah, Adam format is the same format as the BIOS format in the OS7 game ROM, so that should do the trick.

Always glad to help. If you dl'ed my CV&Adam software collection that I made available on MediaFire, you have all this stuff already anda lot more. Time on the other hand is always fleeting.

• 1 year later...

Hi, dev-fr is no more available and I'm in search of Daniel's tool from this topic to draw sound effects.

If someone got it, it will be a pleasure to share it in this topic :)

Hi alekmaul.

I have a lot of stuff from Daniel Bienvenu through the ages.

Do you have a specific name for this program, i'll see if I optionally have it.

As I understand above may digress have it.

• 4 months later...