IGNORED

AtGames Sega flashback ?

Draikar

With all the new Flashback consoles by AtGames why don't that make a Sega flashback ? Like a little mini Genesis / Mega Drive, If its about cost remodeling there firecore system they can cut cost by giving up the cartridge port. I would like to see a mini Genesis model 1 and I don't use my Firecore for cartridge games (well I do for that 10 in 1 game cart they made).

With all the new Flashback consoles by AtGames why don't that make a Sega flashback ? Like a little mini Genesis / Mega Drive, If its about cost remodeling there firecore system they can cut cost by giving up the cartridge port. I would like to see a mini Genesis model 1 and I don't use my Firecore for cartridge games (well I do for that 10 in 1 game cart they made).

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224996-colecovision-flashback-system/?p=3038688

Yeah, atgames is the maker of all the Genesis variants. They have the official license from Sega. It doesn't matter if they look different, they are technically the same. And those made by "other companies" are just sublicensed, rebranded atgames machines.

• Like 2

Yeah, atgames is the maker of all the Genesis variants. They have the official license from Sega. It doesn't matter if they look different, they are technically the same. And those made by "other companies" are just sublicensed, rebranded atgames machines.

Good so lets see if we can get a true Genesis flashback system like the Atari / Colecovision / Intellivision Consoles.

Good so lets see if we can get a true Genesis flashback system like the Atari / Colecovision / Intellivision Consoles.

As was mentioned earlier, AtGames has already released console and portable versions, and are releasing new versions of those alongside the Atari, ColecoVision, and Intellivision Flashbacks in October. The former is going to have a cartridge port in addition to the 80 built-in games, and the latter is going to have an SD card slot in addition to the 80 built-in games, again, just like the previous versions. In both cases those match and exceed the definition of a "true Genesis flashback system like the Atari / Colecovision / Intellivision Consoles."

As was mentioned earlier, AtGames has already released console and portable versions, and are releasing new versions of those alongside the Atari, ColecoVision, and Intellivision Flashbacks in October. The former is going to have a cartridge port in addition to the 80 built-in games, and the latter is going to have an SD card slot in addition to the 80 built-in games, again, just like the previous versions. In both cases those match and exceed the definition of a "true Genesis flashback system like the Atari / Colecovision / Intellivision Consoles."

But it won't look like one. :(

Edited by Draikar

But it won't look like one. :(

I now understand what you're saying. To be fair, NONE of the Flashbacks have ever looked genuinely close to the real thing. They've all been inspired by the original design, i.e., designed to remind you of the original without actually replicating it. The Sega Classic Console and Classic Console 2 clearly have a design inspired by the original three consoles and they even come with modern replicas of the original six button controller.

Frankly, for these to look like the original consoles, there would have to be a LOT of excess plastic and empty space inside, which really doesn't make a lot of practical sense (it's not the real thing after all). The "motherboards" are actually quite tiny in these things.

I now understand what you're saying. To be fair, NONE of the Flashbacks have ever looked genuinely close to the real thing. They've all been inspired by the original design, i.e., designed to remind you of the original without actually replicating it. The Sega Classic Console and Classic Console 2 clearly have a design inspired by the original three consoles and they even come with modern replicas of the original six button controller.

Frankly, for these to look like the original consoles, there would have to be a LOT of excess plastic and empty space inside, which really doesn't make a lot of practical sense (it's not the real thing after all). The "motherboards" are actually quite tiny in these things.

Don't get me wrong I love my AtGames sega, but I just dont use the cartridge port and love the idea of a mini Colecovision / Intellivision system like the Atari have. I know Flashbacks have never looked genuinely close to the real thing but for me they do and I have the real systems but still I buy the flashbacks. I just wish to see Sega idolized in a retro mini Genenis model 1 Flashback...

Edited by Draikar

The ATgames Genesis looks a lot like the Genesis 3. If you really really want a big black thing that says "16-BIT," you could always gut an original console and transplant the remake board into it.

I never understood hangups about how a console looks. It's not like you're staring at it all the time.

• Like 1

It looks like I won't be allowed to reveal further details on much of anything else until September, but I did want to clarify that in addition to the ColecoVision and Intellivision Flashbacks getting special Dollar General and Sam's Club editions, it looks like both the Atari Flashback 5 and Sega Classic Console will be getting the same treatment. I can't reveal the details of what those are yet, but just be aware that if you're interested in that type of thing, those will also have variations. Since I'll be able to talk about it in September, that should still provide plenty of time to make a final purchase decision. The Sega Genesis handheld unit is the only one that will be solely available in a standard edition. Even though AtGames prefers at this point to wait on releasing further info, I'll of course continue to do my best to try and clarify/correct any incorrect information or rumors.

• 4 weeks later...

For those asking about other territories, at this point in time, I can confirm that these units will only see release at US retailers.

Is there someone to whom we can complain about this?

Ironically, I will actually be in the US on a shopping excursion in mid-September. :mad:

Edited by jhd

• 2 weeks later...

If the new Genesis Portables allow savegames I will have to get one. The pevious models with SD card do not as I read. I would have liked one of the variants that run with real carts too, but they seem to have vanished from the face of earth.

I don't think I'll be sent one, but based on what I've been told, that it uses the Genesis-on-a-chip, I don't believe it's the same handheld one I tested as a potential release candidate last year. That one was emulation-based and allowed various extra features over the previous models (even the sound was greatly improved). Right now, I think it's safe to assume that there are no major changes with the 2014 versions of the console and handheld over last year's models.

Is there someone to whom we can complain about this?

Ironically, I will actually be in the US on a shopping excursion in mid-September. :mad:

I don't have independent confirmation of this, but lots of people are reporting that the Toys R Us street date has been moved up to September 22.

Would be a shame if it is not improved.

I don't mean savestates in games that didn't allow it originally, but at least in the ones that originally had a battery. Older models apprently played the games, but the save functions did not work.

The handheld I tested had save states, but did not support save game functions. That's something that's only supported on the console with real cartridges. Again, though, I don't think anything significant changed in these 2014 releases from the 2012 models.

save states would already be fine as a work around. But even the game's own save features would be doable if atgames put some work into it. Every flashcart like the Everdrives or R4 support the games' internal save feature. Just a matter of offering a decent firmware for the SD card.

But our coder and cartridge designer visited the atgames engineering team in China to check the possibility of Pier Solar pre-installed on their units, and their technical knowledge was very lackluster back around 2010. If they haven't put on some serious effort since then they might actually be stuck with the state their hardware has been in, unable to improve much.

• Like 1