IGNORED

2550mAh Wii U Gamepad Battery Replacement

DaytonaUSA

http://www.gaikokugamers.com/2014/07/nintendos-2550mah-wii-u-battery.html

I wrote a quick article on our site with pictures of the Japanese released battery upgrade for the Wii U gamepad.

If you've been on the fence with purchasing the official 2550mAh battery, wait no longer. I'm not sure how long these batteries will be offered, so I'd get them while you can.

The battery fills the battery bay, doesn't add any noticeable weight, and gives your gamepad a boost of twice the battery life.

Play-Asia still has it in stock, for now. But I do know that their sale is "clearance". Not sure if it's a perminant discontinue, or temporary, but considering it's the only place to buy them without spending a couple hundred bucks (eBay/Amazon), it's well worth two Jacksons to get shipped to your door.

Enjoy!

So did Nintendo discontinue this or what? If so, why?

No clue. To my knowledge, it was only released in Japan. I know for a fact there are tons of people in North America who would buy this for 35 bucks, so I don't get why it's not been released here. It's almost like they used Japan as a test bed, it didn't do well, so they decided to just can it. Maybe in Japan when your living room is the size of my dining room, it's easier to leave the gamepad plugged in, but here in the States it's horribly inconvenient to have a 3 hour battery life.

Like I said, get it while it lasts. Trust me, the 3000mAh knock offs are a huge risk, so don't bother. That and they don't even perform like you'd expect them to even when they do work. And the Nyko ones die in less than a year, and have horrible reviews. The product is so "crap" that they don't even sell the thing anymore.

So this is basically you're only option. Even if you don't think you need it today, I implore all of you AA guys to pick one up as their resale value is through the roof, and you'll likely not be able to afford one in the future.

But it has been released here. Was available a few months ago through Nintendo of America's online store for $32 as I recall. Went out of stock shortly before the site was redesigned a while back, but I've read that another run was due and that it should again be available soon.

They've also finally launched a 1st party Wiimote battery/charger recently which also appears absent at present on Nintendo.com. Hopefully that one will also be restocked since I missed out on it.

Edited by Atariboy

• 4 months later...

Seriously? I've been waiting for it. Got a link?

It's still listed on amazon, but as "unavailable"

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Pak-Wii-U-Nintendo/dp/B00B48QAQU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1417277158&sr=8-5&keywords=nyko+power+pak

As soon as I heard about it I pre-ordered it, and I believe it was cancelled because of either legal action from Nintendo or because of the announcement of their first part battery upgrade. I eventually received mine but I think they only sold them to people who had pre-ordered AND paid in advance.... I don't think there are too many out in the wild.

I have this battery coupled with the Nyko External Boost Pack, and yeah, the gamepad works for about 24 hours. I have never run out of batteries since installing those...

Edited by travistouchdown

The first party battery? I would have definitely gone that route were they available or even announced at the time. That was one of my biggest pet peeves with the Wii U early on, constantly running out of game pad battery..

Yes. Same problem, I'm just getting into a game and the gamepad is going dead. It was uber annoying when playing Super Mario World 3D and I'm running into it playing Hyrule Warriors too.