IGNORED

Destiny beta is now open to all

WestofHouse

I wish cross play was possible. I had some good fun with it on PS4 and will probably play some more when I have time. I only had it crash on me twice but its been solid. I wonder how the full game will be....I have a feeling we are only getting a taste of this game with the beta.

I tried it last night on PS3. I didn't get too far, since it took awhile to download and install, but I liked what I saw, even if it seems a prettier variation on HALO. I want to get in some more time with it since I think Sunday is the last day...

That's assuming I have two full days available to play. If I can get it downloaded and installed this evening I might have a go sometime over the weekend.

I just got an email from Bungie stating that if anyone logs in Saturday from 2pm - 6pm PDT they will receive an in-game reward available in the full version. They dont mention what the reward is, its probably something minor but hey its free. Probably doesn't matter if you wont be getting the game but if you end up liking it at least you'll have some sort of freebie.

I just got an email from Bungie stating that if anyone logs in Saturday from 2pm - 6pm PDT they will receive an in-game reward available in the full version. They dont mention what the reward is, its probably something minor but hey its free. Probably doesn't matter if you wont be getting the game but if you end up liking it at least you'll have some sort of freebie.

Do you think the reward would be tied to my PSN account? I discovered that a Bungie account isn't required for the open beta, so i'm wondering if I need to create one.

I didn't have time to reach the level cap, but I finished the story and played a few PVP matches. I made it to level 7.

For a beta I was very impressed. It never crashed, and I only had trouble logging in once.

Game play wise I really enjoyed it. The controls felt responsive and intuitive, but I hated using L3 to sprint. I LOVE the public instances that appear out of nowhere. It was great teaming up with all the players to take down a giant robot crawler that landed in the middle of a zone.

The environments are lovely, and the speeder bikes remind me of Star Wars Galaxies. I just wish the game were a bit more social, especially at the Tower. And speaking of social, it wasn't obvious how to join a fireteam. I set my invitation settings to Public, and occasionally I would be half way through a mission and realize that some folks had joined me, but I had no idea how. I'm guessing that's done through the Roster tab, but I didn't take time to explore it. I'm sure better instructions will come with the full release.

I played as a Titan, and I was a bit disappointed that I had no options at all in choosing skill trees early on. When I leveled up there was only one option for a new skill. I guess the customization comes in later levels.

My only other quibble is that PVP seemed very imbalanced between levels. There seemed to be an enormous power difference between just one or two levels. When I first joined a match I saw people running around with shields and weapons that could one-hit kill me. I could understand that in a four or five level difference, but not one or two.

Overall I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure it's a $60 game, so I'm still on the fence about pre-ordering. I can see this dropping $10 or $20 by Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...