IGNORED

What's the latest games you've played on your Wii U?

Ransom

I set up the second Wii U console this weekend, giving us one in the first floor living room and one in the second story loft. As I'd been warned, each user needs a separate Nintendo Network login on each console. A bit of a bummer and something Nintendo obviously needs to fix. But it's not the end of the world and doesn't prevent me from having a ton of fun.

Now that I can use one of the consoles while my wife's using the other, I finally set up the Wii Fit U balance board and set up the software. Never having used the original one, this was all new to me. I found it to be a quite decent workout! I'd slacked off over the last several months due to life getting much busier than usual, and now I'm looking forward to having a new exercise routine. I used to just do a 20-minute workout of my own devising each day, but now I'll have a broader range of activities to easily choose from (including many that wouldn't be nearly as fun without the videogame-like bits).

In addition to Wii Fit U, I spent significant time playing Super Mario 3D World. I am not a hardcore platform game fan. In fact, the last time I really enjoyed one was probably when Super Mario Bros. 3 was released for the NES. So I was surprised when I found it hard to stop playing Super Mario 3D world! It's a really fun game. I like the little hidden stuff that's always been in the Mario games, and the water segment where you ride on the back of the Yoshi-like critter (I forget what it's called) was a blast (even though I fell off to the side once). Maybe if I get good enough at it, my wife and I can play it together and I won't hold her back (she's really good at platformers).

I also spent a little bit of time exploring Nintendoland, the set of minigames that came with the refurbished console. I'd already bought this title for our original console, so I had a bit of experience with it. But this time I played two games that I hadn't tried before: the racing one, and the Donkey Kong obstacle course one. They were both pretty fun. I enjoy how the gamepad is central to these games. It makes for a bit fresher gameplay.

Other than that, I set up the various streaming media apps and sent out friend requests to the AA members out there in the Miiverse. Thanks to those who accepted! :)

Oh, and I should mention my wife and I played a little bit of Wii U together downstairs last night. I have to admit we both really enjoy the billiards game on the Wii Play disc. We play 3-5 games of that most every night. I like the cow racing one as well (but my wife's getting too good at that...I really have almost no chance to win any more). Then we played the tandem bicycling game on Wii Sports Resort. That was fun, and a bit of a challenge. You really have to be in sync to get going on that one. I look forward to giving it another go tonight.

So, what have you been up to with your Wii U?

I recently started Windwaker HD that I received free for buying MK8. I've actually had the disk version of Windwaker for several months but its the collectible Ganondorf version and I have been reluctant (for whatever reason) to open the box. Now I can play the game.

I've also played some MK8. Online can be rough as there always seems to be a LOT of people constantly finishing ahead of me.

I just received several Wii U games from Amazon that I bought, all for under $15 each: Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition, 007 Legends, Lego Batman 2: DC Hero's, and The Walking Dead Survival Instinct. Between playing WindWaker and MK8, I'll try throwing these in from time to time to give them a look.

You might also get on the eShop and download Tank! Tank! Tank! for free. Its not the full game, as Sega broke it up into parts, but you can pay a small amount of money (maybe $2, I forget) to buy additional parts of the game. You can pick and choose which parts to buy, if any. The game would have been a lot more fun if it was online but you can still have some fun locally. My grandson loves this game.

Mario Kart 8 although not many play that around the house anymore.

Wii Party U gets played quite a bit still, a few times a week and on weekends.

Wii U Sports only bowling and a few times a month.

As for myself I'll throw on a Mario game (platformers are too hard for my family) and I have the following backlog I need to get to:

New Luigi

Wonderful 101

Zelda Waker HD

I also picked up freebie Earthbound. I might get to that someday. lol

Fire Emblem has me busy right now on the 3DS

Mario Kart 8, Game & Wario, and NintendoLand are amazing party games. That's all my friends and I play now, and use a PC for everything else. When Smash and Hyrule Warriors comes out, that'll get a ton of play at the house, too. I'm gonna get Wii U Party this week, but I really want to play Mario Party 10 already.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mario Bros. for the NES.

I grabbed it off Club Nintendo before finally getting around to sending my Wii U in for an annoying gamepad problem that I had dragged my feet for months in getting rectified (I hate dealing with customer support, I really didn't want someone else's repaired system back which they assure me won't happen, and just knowing it wasn't working right deflated my enthusiasm for playing things like Mario Kart 8 and Wind Waker HD).

Speaking of Mario Bros, I'd love to see Nintendo rerelease the 1993 European release for the NES that was much more arcade accurate than this early Famicom effort was. I'd spend $5 on that rather than wait for it to be a Club Nintendo freebie. :)

Edited by Atariboy

Mario Bros. for the NES.

I grabbed it off Club Nintendo before finally getting around to sending my Wii U in for an annoying gamepad problem that I had dragged my feet for months in getting rectified (I hate dealing with customer support, I really didn't want someone else's repaired system back which they assure me won't happen, and just knowing it wasn't working right deflated my enthusiasm for playing things like Mario Kart 8 and Wind Waker HD).

Speaking of Mario Bros, I'd love to see Nintendo rerelease the 1993 European release for the NES that was much more arcade accurate than this early Famicom effort was. I'd spend $5 on that rather than wait for it to be a Club Nintendo freebie. :)

I ended up repairing my own gamepad for this reason.

Unfortunately, I don't think it was anything I could do. The Wii U gamepad's power button was regularly not powering the system on when pressed, displaying an error message on the gamepad screen telling me to turn it off and try again closer to the system.

Yet no matter how many times I tried or how close I'd be, I'd have to turn it on with a Wii remote or hit the power switch on the system itself to get it turned on when this would happen (After which, the Wii U gamepad would quickly connect and operate normally).

It had me befuddled (And supposed fixes claimed by some fans like removing the gamepad battery or forcing it to unsync and then re-syncing didn't cure it), but hopefully they know what it is. I was inclined to view it as a software glitch since the gamepad operated fine otherwise with no communication issues, including turning the system off every time without fail. If there was something like an antenna issue, I don't understand why it wasn't affecting other aspects.

May as well use my 1 year Nintendo warranty for the first time (And get it extended an additional year in the process).

Edited by Atariboy

Dynasty Warriors is a game genre that has never really appealed to me. But after reading several articles about Hyrule Warriors and watching several videos of people playing the game on YouTube, my interest is now high on the game and I might pick it up. Not sure if I want to pay $60 for it, though, so I might not get it until the eventual price cut. But the game does look interesting and fun.

Picked up Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist for $12 recently. Tried it out over the weekend and the game is pretty good and fun. But for me, its also hard, Hard, HARD.

I can't play anything on this stupid thing because it requires a freaking update that takes a really long time to do! I'm so sick of Wii-U updates. Do the PS4 and X-Box One do the same thing? Granted the last time I played this thing was in July, but really Nintendo? Half-an-hour? This sucks.

Edited by atari2600land

I can't play anything on this stupid thing because it requires a freaking update that takes a really long time to do! I'm so sick of Wii-U updates. Do the PS4 and X-Box One do the same thing? Granted the last time I played this thing was in July, but really Nintendo? Half-an-hour? This sucks.

oh hell.. xbox and ps4 would be 50x as bad.. get real!!it did a system update obviously 1/2 an hour is f all.. each damn game or app on the xbox 360 is a 1/2 hour.

For me, it seems like every time I want to just play a game, I turn a device on and I have to do an update of some kind before playing. Sometimes a game update, sometimes a firmware update, sometimes both.

Just the other day, I wanted to see what was new in the PS Store and before I could, I had to do an update. Then I browsed the store and found a game I wanted. I purchased it, downloaded it, installed it, and then went to play it. But.... had to do a game update for the brand new game I just purchased.

I guess maybe I have really become a crotchety, cranky, senile old man.

Hyrule Warriors here! I actually am not that big a fan of the Dynasty Warriors games. But Hyrule Warriors just makes me want to pick it up and play. I love being Link and just letting my special attach go so I can watch like 40+ guys get thrown across the screen!

As for the updates, I'm not sure why this isn't a problem for me? Probably because I live my Wii-U in stand by mode just like the Wii before it. And so the updates are downloaded and installed automatically at night while I sleep, or during the day while I'm at work.

I played a bit of Mario Kart 8, and spent some time in New Super Mario Bros. U. I finally got 99 lives, and then spent at least 6 of them trying to complete the underwater level. That stupid castle is so hard though with the boss. I had to have the game beat it for me. I have 7 games for the Wii-U. I am anxious though for Mario level editor and NES Remix Pack, as well as the Kirby game.