IGNORED

What's the latest games you've played on your Wii U?

Ransom

On 4/24/2020 at 10:17 PM, Razzie.P said:

Started playing EarthBound.  I somehow missed this one in real time back in the 90s, and have heard so much praise over the past couple of decades, figured it was time to give it a shot.   

Nice.

I loved that game so much, but I spoiled it for myself by reading the strategy guide too much. I'm trying to forget as much as I can about that game, so when I come back to replay it again, it'll be as magical as it was the first time.

EarthBound Zero is nice too, but a bit more grindy.

Mother 3, also awesome, but the music isn't quite as good (a different guy did it).

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, Bixler said:

I just started Windwaker HD! First time playing Windwaker. Fun so far! Really looking forward to this journey. The last Zelda game I played was A Link Between Worlds.

Really great port of a really great game. Shame the Miiverse is gone now, it was a really good way to collect the figurines.

I was a little disappointed at Hero Mode, though...it does make the game more challenging (vanilla game is probably the easiest Zelda ever), but it's really frustrating and time consuming when you don't have enough jars.

I was playing Skyward Sword, but I've been slacking lately. Hero Mode is much more enjoyable here, there's plenty of other ways to heal besides just jars. But the jars are nice, too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought a few Wii/U games lately, tried one of them last night...Minecraft.

...I might have to finally get an external storage solution, because I "only" have 300 megs internally, and it's not enough to even save the game.

Geeze.

The Nintendo theme is neat, but it'll take some time getting used to...it's hard to recognize what some things are supposed to be :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Asaki said:

I bought a few Wii/U games lately, tried one of them last night...Minecraft.

...I might have to finally get an external storage solution, because I "only" have 300 megs internally, and it's not enough to even save the game.

Geeze.

The Nintendo theme is neat, but it'll take some time getting used to...it's hard to recognize what some things are supposed to be :)

Once I got to about 80 physical games I had no choice, and I've got the "pro model" black version. Be sure your external storage device comes with its own power supply. Flash sticks are unreliable, and most "notebook" external hard drives need to draw power from a PC that the Wii U simply doesn't provide for God knows what reason.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:31 PM, MegaManFan said:

If you have a USB adapter that takes SD cards, it would be a better option than a flash stick, but still not preferable to an external HD with its own power supply.

What's wrong with flash drives? Do they go corrupt or something?

What about the SD slot on the WiiU itself? Or can you not store games on it? IIRC, the original Wii, you could only use it to store or transfer games, but I never messed with it on the WiiU.

4 hours ago, Asaki said:

What's wrong with flash drives? Do they go corrupt or something?

What about the SD slot on the WiiU itself? Or can you not store games on it? IIRC, the original Wii, you could only use it to store or transfer games, but I never messed with it on the WiiU.

Yes they do eventually, they have a limited number of read/write cycles and aren't meant for constant R/W like a game does.  How long they last depends on the quality of the drive.

Nope, the SD slot is purely for the Wii emulation.  The Wii U needs an external drive.

What would your opinion be on an external SSD drive? I've just been using a USB flash drive, but considered that just a temporary solution.

The Wii U likely won't load installed games quicker, but it strikes me as perhaps the best option for longevity and periods of inactivity (Hard drives have moving parts that likely benefit from being exercised regularly, but like many Wii U owners, my system has gone through periods of idleness before being reawakened and heavily played again).

Edited by Atariboy

Does it supply sufficient power to use an external SSD without a power source. This console has so many damn wires as it is. I've just been using a flash drive and all I had on there were the extra downloads to make XenoBlade X load faster.

Now that I have modded the thing however...

Speaking of which, has anyone figured out how to use the Pro controller with the Homebrew Lanuncher (this is the one for the Wii U side). The HBL only seems to take inputs from the gamepad. I'd like to use Retroarch with the Pro controller too, but it assigns the Gamepad as #1 and a Pro controller as #2. Google searches have not turned up firm answers. Most hits talk about how to get the Pro controller to work with the PC or a RetroPie.

16 hours ago, Tempest said:

Yes they do eventually, they have a limited number of read/write cycles and aren't meant for constant R/W like a game does.

I've never heard of read cycles being limited, only the write cycles. And I can't imagine that there are many write cycles involved in what should be read-only data.