IGNORED

Nintendo's quarterly results are out.

Atariboy

Zelda and Xenoblade look great. Bayonetta is something I would get too.

Good stuff to look forward to next year. Not a lot, but very good. I should be happy that the Wii U release schedule is limited since I have a huge backlog but it just doesnt feel right when your only seeing so many few games spaced out so much.

Metroid Prime would be fantastic (I was one of those who loved the Prime games as well as the 2D ones)

There is hope:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/16/nintendo-hints-at-new-metroid-prime-and-2d-game-insists-wii-u-is-in-second-place-4763139/

"So it has been a while since we released the last one and we’re having discussions internally about what we can do next,’ said Nintendo’s Shinya Takahashi to Kotaku.

‘So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we’ll be able to share something about them’.

At this point in the interview there’s a bit of back and forth between the interviewer, Takahashi, and Mario creator Shigeru Miymaoto (who has never had anything much to do with Metroid) about which style of game is best.

Miyamoto is the only one that seems to express a preference though, saying: ‘I have the New Super Mario Bros. series [for 2D], so I like Prime. I think there’s still a lot of new things that could be done with the Prime series.’

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

As far as the frequency of new games, it reminds me of the early 2600 days. Back then I'd get a game and play the heck out of it for a long time because I knew I wouldn't be getting anything new for quite some time. Since at least the NES era, I've been guilty of buying too many games too quickly to fully enjoy them all. Now, with the Wii U (and the way I'm trying to be good about the 3DS), I've got a great opportunity to really delve into the few games available for it that I like.

• Like 1

So he doesn't want 2D entries for other classic Nintendo series since there's a 2D Mario franchise these days?

If anything, I would think that would spur them on to revisiting 2D for other franchises like Metroid. Look how successful A Link Between Worlds has been. It's not 2D Zelda, but the perspective definitely is and it has been a big hit.

In a perfect world, consoles and handhelds would regularly be seeing all three of these big franchises in 2D & 3D as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Personally I'd like Metroid to stay first person but start going in a more sci-fi horror direction. Give me creepy abandoned derelict space ships and the like to explore, and open up the relatively linear worlds a bit.

Zelda and Xenoblade look great. Bayonetta is something I would get too.

Good stuff to look forward to next year. Not a lot, but very good. I should be happy that the Wii U release schedule is limited since I have a huge backlog but it just doesnt feel right when your only seeing so many few games spaced out so much.

Metroid Prime would be fantastic (I was one of those who loved the Prime games as well as the 2D ones)

There is hope:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/16/nintendo-hints-at-new-metroid-prime-and-2d-game-insists-wii-u-is-in-second-place-4763139/

"So it has been a while since we released the last one and we’re having discussions internally about what we can do next,’ said Nintendo’s Shinya Takahashi to Kotaku.

‘So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we’ll be able to share something about them’.

At this point in the interview there’s a bit of back and forth between the interviewer, Takahashi, and Mario creator Shigeru Miymaoto (who has never had anything much to do with Metroid) about which style of game is best.

Miyamoto is the only one that seems to express a preference though, saying: ‘I have the New Super Mario Bros. series [for 2D], so I like Prime. I think there’s still a lot of new things that could be done with the Prime series.’