IGNORED

Playstation Now

Mendon

Anyone checked this out yet?

I gave it a look today and while I'd be interested in playing some of the titles they have online, I won't pay $2 - $4 for 4 hours or pay even more for longer rental periods. Even Redbox at $2 for 24hours is a better deal than this.

I'll really give it a look and a tryout if a monthly subscription was offered (depending on price, of course) but this current set up is a "I'll pass, Thank You" for me.

Nope I have no interest and its way too expensive. I'll wait and see what they do officially since its beta. At least these days they have Yoshida and Boyes heading up the PS4 and they seem to listen, so I'll reserve judgement cause I like those guys. No matter what happens though if its too expensive its just not worth it.

The games are running on modified PS3 hardware, so I doubt the service scales as well as a traditional server network. It's certainly more expensive to run. If Sony has to essentially reserve a PS3 for each user, they may not be able to price things any lower and still reach the break even point.

OnLive has never made a profit. I don't think Sony will fare any better. If PS Now flops out of the gate, Sony just doesn't have the cash to try to nurse it along. In the long run this could be a good thing, as I could see PS Now becoming a backdoor to the always online DRM Microsoft wanted with the XBone.

$2-$4 to play a game for one night (four hours)? lolno, my money will go to whoever offers the best Netflix style subscription model.

Hundreds (if not thousands) of games streamed to my next gen console, one monthly fee, make it so.

I was actually in the private beta, back when all the games were still free. It's "ok" when it works, otherwise it's just a mess for me. 2d games work great while 3d games look somwhere between original Xbox/PS2 and 360/PS3 level.

It's got problems though outside of how it works.

First - The pricing is insane. For example, Kane and Lynch 2 used can be bought for 7 bucks. Nobody is going to be ok with this. At least, not enough people to make it worth Sonys effort.

The other problems are with what the service is all about.

Second - If you are a PS3 owner, PS Now is nothing but a lazy ass, more expensive alternative to Redbox or Gamefly. Like I showed before, in some cases it literally is cheaper to buy the games used or even in some cases, new. Some of the games rental prices for 90 days exceed the price of the game new. I know Final Fantasy XIII, part one or two, can be bought for $19.99.

Third - If you have a PS4, but not a PS3, PS Now is an expensive PS3 commercial. Seriously. I do not have a PS3, but I do want certain games like Valkyria Chronicles and Ni No Kuni. A better way for Sony to get me on board would be to drop the price of a new 250 gig model to $149.99. I'd totally get one.

Those are some problems I have with the service. Then of course, theres problems I have with people who use the service, and make requests that plainly show they have no idea what they're asking for. I can't stand it when fucktards go requesting PS1 and PS2 "classics" on PS Now. Do you really, really want to only rent games you should be able to buy, to keep? A rumor was going around that Sony was looking into emulation here, which is more than possible on the PS4, but also to have it so that the older games would benefit from higher texture resolutions. This sounds much, much more enticing. I'd gladly play 15 bucks a pop for "enhanced" version of Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy VII.

So, yeah, good idea on paper I guess. However, I already deleted the beta. The pricing right now is just too stupid.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd happily pay upwards of $15 a month for something like a digital version of Gamefly where I have unlimited access to a library of games. Lower would be nicer of course but the point is it really has to be something that offers access to a library of games and not something that nickle and dimes over individual games, Nintendo does that crap with their e-store and it was very annoying.

Edited by mipaol

perhaps Hot Wheels? There isn't much incentive to rent at these rates.

Would be nice to see them added to the store to outright purchase.

You're not going to see that with streaming games given the costs to them to process and send you the video/sound each time you want to play it. At best you'll get is a netflix setup but it doesn't look like they're interested in providing that. They say they're testing the system out with this rental setup, but I don't expect it to go any further than that as either:

1. The rentals are extremely successful even at the insane rates - why bother upset that cash cow with cheap all-you-can-eat flat fees?

2. The rentals do poorly - obviously no interest in streaming, let's axe the entire program.

You're not going to see that with streaming games given the costs to them to process and send you the video/sound each time you want to play it. At best you'll get is a netflix setup but it doesn't look like they're interested in providing that. They say they're testing the system out with this rental setup, but I don't expect it to go any further than that as either:

1. The rentals are extremely successful even at the insane rates - why bother upset that cash cow with cheap all-you-can-eat flat fees?

2. The rentals do poorly - obviously no interest in streaming, let's axe the entire program.

No... I meant that when they should be added to the store for outright purchase, I meant they should add the games to the PSN.

The idea of streaming a game isn't for me. I actually prefer physical media over digital but that's another story... lol

Considering Sony's current financial status and the fact they purchased another company called Gaikai for $380 million back in 2012 to obtain the "cloud" (lol cloud, I will never take that name seriously) technology for streaming video games, I don't see Sony walking away from the Playstation Now program so easily, if the current high prices do not attract enough customers it seems very likely they will adjust the structure of the service until it does.

Considering Sony's current financial status and the fact they purchased another company called Gaikai for $380 million back in 2012 to obtain the "cloud" (lol cloud, I will never take that name seriously) technology for streaming video games, I don't see Sony walking away from the Playstation Now program so easily, if the current high prices do not attract enough customers it seems very likely they will adjust the structure of the service until it does.

Probably, probably not. There's an ongoing cost to actually provide the streaming service after all that they won't be able to get around. Worst case scenario would be that their current prices are as low as, or about as low as, they can go with it without losing money. If that's the case then there won't be a lot of changes made to the pricing structure and there certainly won't be any all-you-can-eat buffet option offered in the future that most people seem to expect to even take this setup seriously.

But an all-you-can-eat buffet set up would either cost a lot of money, or run the risk of being highly unprofitable as there are many gamers that spend more time gaming than regular folks spend watching TV (And their streaming system has to do more than just stream the video/audio - it has to process it). I'd predict if they did break down and do a netflix style setup, they'll quickly tier it up so you're paying X dollars for Y hours per month of game time from their library of games. And those hours would be fairly restrictive/costly similar to how they got their rental system set up.

Still, it's a wait and see scenario. Doesn't seem to be overly popular in the current set up so Sony will probably have to implement changes quickly or the entire thing is going to lose money. Even I'd consider it if it was priced similarly to netflix and had hundreds of older games to play unlimited per month - assuming of course it had a lot of old games I want to play and don't already own or can't get my hands on cheaply.

BUT! There's one big problem they're going to have with a netflix style system I think. Netflix regularly switches out content. If they tried to do that with the games, they're likely going to piss off subscribers every time they remove a game that people are actually playing through - particularly if it's a long drawn out RPG and the like.

BUT! There's one big problem they're going to have with a netflix style system I think. Netflix regularly switches out content. If they tried to do that with the games, they're likely going to piss off subscribers every time they remove a game that people are actually playing through - particularly if it's a long drawn out RPG and the like.

Netflix doesn't do that by choice, but by rights. They only get x amount of time with particular properties and then either have to renew the contract or choose not to renew (say, if the price doesn't make sense).

It's true though that other services in the past, like GameTap, have suffered mightily after losing licenses to key properties. There are actually new services coming out (for instance, from AtGames) that hope to avoid those same pitfalls by getting longer term licenses, but, unless you own the properties (which Sony in theory should own quite a bit), there's likely no such thing as a lifetime agreement for such things. The best thing to do is make the longest term agreements you can and just make sure you have a regular pipeline of new additions to make up for potential losses (and obviously keep the most popular stuff, even if it means paying more).

• 1 year later...

Been looking at this lately. Its a little over 8 bucks a month and you can play anything on this list (which is different than the rent list) and they are going full force with adding games every month:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/psnow/subscriptions/

I own about a quarter of those games but it might be nice to throw on a game now and then like Netflix that I dont have. Also I read these have there own achievements.

Anyone have it right now? Any good? Can you tell it's streaming? Lag? Anyone try it on a Vita? I guess I can try the 7 day trial and see for myself since everyones home network is different.........

Anyone have it right now? Any good? Can you tell it's streaming? Lag? Anyone try it on a Vita? I guess I can try the 7 day trial and see for myself since everyones home network is different.........

I tried it, lagged even on games like pacman DX and Sonic Generations. It's not cause of my connection either as it's plenty fast enough.