IGNORED

Beige console power LED mod

dphirschler

Here is a mod I did as a teenage on my beige console. I haven't seen it documented online anywhere. It's a very simple mod only involving drilling one hole in the case and soldering two connections on the power supply. The power switch is superior on the beige console, but no LED is a bummer.

The hole is easy to drill and is marked by a guide inside the case. Drill a pilot hole there with a very small bit. Then drill into the case with the proper sized bit (about the size of the LED). It helps if you have an old black/silver console to look at.

post-39934-0-55599200-1408196600_thumb.jpg

Then after your hole is drilled, solder in your LED. There are already two points on the PSU board for the LED. Make sure you solder +/- correctly otherwise the LED won't work. Leave long leads on the LED (just like the black/silver console), so you can bend it to fit into the hole you drilled.

post-39934-0-40856100-1408196596_thumb.jpg

Put it all back together and admire your handiwork. I chose green back then. You you agree with my color choice?

post-39934-0-50274500-1408196595_thumb.jpg

Later, if I ever install some sort of hdd inside the console, I will put second LED for when it is accessed.

Darryl

Edited by dphirschler
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a challenge. Connect a multicolored led to the power supply that flashes the 2 colors at the frequency of the line voltage. And do it with the least amount of additional parts. The question is would the human eye be able to distinguish the 2 colors, or would they blend into one, making the mod moot?

Gazoo

Here's a challenge. Connect a multicolored led to the power supply that flashes the 2 colors at the frequency of the line voltage. And do it with the least amount of additional parts. The question is would the human eye be able to distinguish the 2 colors, or would they blend into one, making the mod moot?

Gazoo

My bet is it would be moot. But a fun thing to faff about with either way.

Since an LED lacks the same persistence as phosphors on a CRT, I would say that at 60 Hz we could distinguish it once we see that it is flickering and actually look at it.

Kind of like a magic-eye poster?

I suppose something like that. I know that I cannot use the older LED Christmas lights because they flicker so badly not only can I see it but being around them too long as the brightest source of ambient or direct light will trigger a migraine.

• 1 year later...

Green is good. I will use a diffused blue if I can find one easily. The bright water-clears seem to be the easiest blues to find in the stores.

Did you ever find the blues? I'd like to get some. I don't like the white. It's just too bright.

Darryl

Edited by dphirschler

Did you ever find the blues? I'd like to get some. I don't like the white. It's just too bright.

Darryl

Actually, yeah. I found some on eBay. They are still brighter than I like, but being diffused makes them easier on the eyes.

I have a few left over from a PEB update a year or so ago.

Just send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll toss a couple in an envelope for you.

The Hell you will. I will. I see you have a few while I have almost 300 taking up space and falling out of the drawer every time I open it.

• Like 5

I used the power output lined on the TI Console Power Supply to mount a PC CPU fan on the top vents of the Console on out side. So when I turn on the Fan it powers the CPU fan also.

I can run this console in 100 degree weather and it keeps it so cool you can lay your hand on the Coffee warmer part of the Console and it feels cool.

You crack me up. LOL. I appreciate both of your offers. I sent you both a PM. I want to try them both out. Also, if one of these turns out to be perfect, I'd like to somehow find out who the supplier is so maybe I can order some... and perhaps even pay it forward someday.

Darryl

And I forgot to mention to Omega that "I saw him first!"

I can dig up the source where I bought them. It was off eBay like $5 for 300 or something stupid like that. I will drop a dozen or so in an envelope and get them to you.

• Like 1

OK, so I have removed the white LED and replaced it with a nice blue LED. Wow! I love it. Here are some photos.

post-39934-0-72679700-1464315094_thumb.jpg

Here are photos of the process:

post-39934-0-19950800-1464315086_thumb.jpgpost-39934-0-84060900-1464315090_thumb.jpg

post-39934-0-04378900-1464315088_thumb.jpgpost-39934-0-43729100-1464315092_thumb.jpg

Thanks to OLD CS1 and Omega for some dandy blue LEDs. The while LED was just too bright. This blue matches the blue color bar on the switch.

Now correct me if I am wrong here. I am no electronics expert. But I believe replacing that resister with a stronger one will dim the LED even more.

Darryl

• Like 2